Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Automated Dosing Methods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2004 at 3:57pm
BTW, kalk becomes your topoff water.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2004 at 10:52pm
I've been using an peristaltic pump (IV pump) for top off for several years. I love it. I actually pump RO water through a DIY kalkwasser "reactor" for all top off. I have never had any issues with anything clogging. You're welcome to come and check it out sometime!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2004 at 6:50am
Shane, I wonder if it's what we call a feeding pump. The tubing is
somewhat larger. Do you have to replace the bags every once in a
while? I can get them from work if there are the same..

Patrick, the tragedy at the fish store is a well kept secret! They
really wanted to keep it under wraps, 'cause they make a lot o' moola
selling fansy-pansy equipment! I just went in there Monday morning
and this beautiful show tank was being emptied! The next time I
went there, it was almost totally stocked! I never would have known
except I have Mondays off!

I only add additives once in a while. Isn't the only thing that must
be added daily calcium and alkalinity? I used to use the 2 part Bionic.
It's easy to add equal amounts every day or so...

What does Chemical Jon use?
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2004 at 9:52am

Patrick, If you truely want an automatic system a CA reactor would be the way to go.  I wish I had one, but the major drawback is cost.  If you set up a CA reactor you really need to get a PH monitor as well.  More cost.

You could just do like I do.  I do 25% water changes every month and the only additive I give my tank is fish food.  I add this daily.  Or you could do like I have at my office and get an automatic feeder.  I restock it about once a month.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2004 at 11:00am
Suzy, It's not the first time that LFS has lost that tank. I think it was automatic MH lights or a heater malfunction the other time that I know of.

Kalkwaser from a Glug Jug is a great way to go.

Improdigal, Other than Kalkwasser at night for topoff, nothing else needs regular dosing. And as far as Phyto dripping, IMO that's unnecessary. Just dump in a couple gallons, let the inverts eat it and then a few days later when the culture is grown again, do it again!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 5:55am
oh sure...now ya tell me!  After I just finished putting in my fancy-pansy 6 stage filter on a float valve to do my top-offs for me.
Patrick
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:54pm
Don't confuse an automated top off system and a calcium reactor. The calcium reactor uses water from your aquarium in a closed loop system. No additional water is added.
When dosing kalkwasser, RO water, saturated with kalk is added to the system effectively replacing water lost to evaporation.
For many systems using kalkwasser alone will be enough to maintain alk and calcium. But you are limited by your evaporation rate. (you can only add as much kalkwasser as you're losing to evaporation). A calcium reactor is not limited except by the size of the reactor itself.
BTW, I'm using both. I talked to Eric at MA yesterday and he gave me some more solid advice about tuning my reactor to avoid the necessity of adding kalkwasser. If you're interested in adding a reactor to you system, I highly recommend you take a look at Eric's design. I havn't seen a higher quality reactor available. (and I looked at a lot before I bought one)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:56pm

Yea, I've seen it. but I've also seen the price sticker. If I can't find another way, I'll save up for one.

One thing though, I didn't think a Calcium reactor would balance alkalinity and PH, just calcium, strontium....

Edited by improdigal
Patrick
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:09pm

Pat,  what does "balance alkalinity and pH" mean to you?  We might be able to explain better if we know where you're coming from.

Edited by jfinch
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:32pm
Jon, what do you use?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:48pm
Right now I'm using kalkwasser.  It's not keeping up, so a calcium reactor will be in my near future (or perhaps my own DIY B-ionic , if I can find some cheap MgCl2).  About every month I have to add a little CaCl2 and baking soda to boost 'em back up.  I try to keep about 400 ppm Ca and 3 meq/l alk.  When I had my smaller tank I used B-ionic exclusively.  I love that stuff!  It's so easy to use, but it can get expensive with a larger tank.  In the distant past in tanks with only a few calcifying corals I have gotten by with just kalkwasser.  My current tank has too many sps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Pat,  what does "balance alkalinity and pH" mean to you? 

Well I know that when your alkalinity is high, you add Calcium to lower it and that affects PH as well, but is it really safe to control all those levels just from your calcium input?

I guess I don't understand how tightly they affect one another.

I knew extra calcium would lower alkalinity, but I didn't know it that it was a direct relation. So does a calcium reactor really handle ALL your problems (assuming it's eventually adjusted correctly)?

Patrick
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 3:31pm
Pat, you don't have enough hard coral to worry about a Ca Reactor, but using Kalk for topoff would definately be a plus.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 4:15pm

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Pat, you don't have enough hard coral to worry about a Ca Reactor.

but I will

I'm finishing my canopy this week and will have 3-250 MHs and 2 6' VHO actinics. I plan on starting to get some real coral now.

Already have the automatic top-off system installed with the 6 stage RO filter and float valve, so I'd need another solution, even if it's Kalk and a IV pump adding specific amounts regularly.

Patrick
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 4:41pm
A calcium reactor will provide both alkalinity and calcium to the system in a balanced solution.  They should really be called Calcium Carbonate Reactors.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 6:21pm

Well I know that when your alkalinity is high, you add Calcium to lower it and that affects PH as well, but is it really safe to control all those levels just from your calcium input?

Calcium and alkalinity (for this discussion I will refer to alkalinity as carbonate) are two independant entities.  They are like teenage boys and girls.  They're different, but constantly looking to hook up together .  Calcium reacts with carbonate (CO3) to form CaCO3 coral skeleton, coralline algae, or "hard water deposits".  It just so happens that the pH of seawater is more or less controlled by the carbonates (both the amount and type) floating around in it (for reasons I'll discuss, but might cloud the issue).  If you remove carbonates (coral growth, ect) from the water the pH will drop.  If you add carbonates (buffer) to the water the pH will increase.  Both calcium reactors and kalkwasser add equal amounts of calcium and carbonates to the water (i.e. balanced).  If you have a steady, constant amount of carbonates in the water you'll most likely have a more steady pH.

The reason why adding extra calcium lowers alkalinity is because that extra calcium reacts with the carbonates and is precipitated out of solution as CaCO3.  This then lowers the pH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 1:35pm

so assuming I get a Calcium reactor to keep my system balanced out. What do you look for in one?

How is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2 0758&item=4319334586

Or an 'electronic' one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2 0756&item=4321610587&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Edited by improdigal
Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic