Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish Jumping?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Izzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Izzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish Jumping?
    Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:17pm
Anyone ever had Clownfish jump?  I had a clownfish for the last 2-3 months and unfortunately yesterday when I got home it was unfortunately on my tile.  Not fun.

I've never heard of a clownfish surfing...the only reason I can think of this is my stupid Six-Line has become aggressive and has decided the entire tank is his.  He didn't nip at the clown, but he's a bully.  Not sure if he just pushed the clown over the edge...

Any "tough" fish that are reef safe anyone can recommend that will hold their own with the six-line...?
Murray, UT
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:18pm
We've had at least two clowns jump.
90g Reef
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:46pm
For stuff that will hold it's own with a 6 line, just pick fish bigger than him. That ALWAYS worked with my 6 line.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Lexnano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexnano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:55pm
I've had one jump into the back chamber of my nano.  Luckily he was fine.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 6:23pm
I've personally seen them jump a few times in front of me.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 7:01pm
Get rid of the six line!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ksarcury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksarcury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 7:50pm
My six line killed several fish that were bigger than him. . . he no longer lives in our tank. . .  
90 gal. reef
12 g. nano w/acans
34 g. salano system
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 10:43am
My clown jumped into the overflow of my Nano just last week... Sure was a pain to get him out Angry
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Izzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Izzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Get rid of the six line!

Any recommendations to catch the Six-Line?  The things are fast...he unfortunately was the demise of my Firefish and another Clownfish (beat on him).
Murray, UT
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 8:28am
Ive had to tear the tank down to get fish out before.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 11:26am

Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Ive had to tear the tank down to get fish out before.

I had to do that with damsels, what a pain.

Back on topic, I have had a few of my clowns jump.  Once I was lucky enough to be standing by the tank when it launched and the other time it jumped into the overflow.  I put screening over the top to the tank to prevent breakouts.  (however it hasnt been on the tank since I moved)

Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 12:55pm
get a lion to eat all the fish and start over! Nature takes over!
75 Reef
55 Reef

Izzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Izzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by tazman1982 tazman1982 wrote:

get a lion to eat all the fish and start over! Nature takes over!

Hahah, that's actually not a bad idea...however I don't loathe the Six-Line that much and it'd eat everything else as well, which I don't necessarily want.

Just need to make sure I'm careful when selecting new fish...hopefully they stay tough with the six-line.  Ouch
Murray, UT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic