Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kill-a-watt question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kill-a-watt question
    Posted: January 17 2009 at 4:51pm
What does it mean when kill-a-watt show a lower wattage than what a pump is rated?  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 4:52pm
I think it means they lied :)
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 4:53pm
Maybe I should have created a poll. LOL
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 4:55pm
Maybe
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 5:11pm
I vote yes. Or no, depending if the statistics say I should know. In which case I vote maybe.
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 5:14pm
SMART ___!! beter then a Dumb one..
75 Reef
55 Reef

snoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 7:37am
I have heard that its a good thing, the wattage on pumps is the max when the pump is basically fully loaded, so If you were pumping closer to the max head, that would really work the pump and it would be drawing closer to the rated ammount, and usually wear out faster.  I know that is what you need to monitor when you mod a pump for a skimmer, different needlewheels with more or less mesh stuff like that you are suppost to watch the watt draw so you don't get into pushing the pump to hard or above the rated watts and burn it out faster. 
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 8:24am
Good answer!! Your fine Bill. Like snoyce stated it means your pump is on cruise control. Typically if its going out it will start using more power not less.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 9:02am
How much different is it?

If you were pumping closer to the max head, that would really work the pump and it would be drawing closer to the rated ammount

Just opposite.  Max power draw on a pump is at minimum head (maximum flow).  When you pinch off on the discharge of the pump the power consumption should decrease.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 9:11am
My badConfused  Once again Jon changes my world as I knew it.

Edited by Dion Richins - January 19 2009 at 9:12am
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
snoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 10:02am

hmm, ok my bad too, thanks for the correction, not sure I understand it, makes me want to experiment with a kill-a-watt and some pumps just to see everything that goes on under different conditions.

now if I just had the time for that much tinkering :)

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 10:02am
Thanks for the replies.

So, after Jon's post is it good or not?  I have a Mag 18 that shows the wattage is 145, but it is drawing only 70.  I assume this is a good thing.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 10:07am
It could very well be normal.  I kind of doubt aquarium pump manufactures are very thorough in their evaluation of their pumps (i.e. they could be off on their flow/power ratings).  If it's moving water around for you, it's working Big smile.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 10:24am
Cool, thanks Jon.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic