Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I’m a dope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’m a dope
    Posted: July 24 2004 at 10:45pm

I've got more aptasia then I like.  Kalk is ok, but doesn't always work.  I've heard about this stuff called Joe's Juice.  How it's the best aptasia control around.  So I order a small bottle (20 ml), $7 and no shipping charges on 1st order.  I got it today.  I just opened it up to have a look.  It had a white solid settled on the bottom of the bottle and a clear liquid on top.  hmmm...  I shake it up and open the bottle.  Absolutely no smell at all.  I start to think I've been had... I drop a little bit into some pH indicator.  The pH is sky high.  I start to think I've really been had... I drop about a ml into a test cup.  Add calcium indicator dye.  It turns pink.  I add tons of EDTA titrant.  It finally turns blue.  I'm pretty sure I've been had.

Tomorrow I'll try some on a few aptasia and and try some kalk paste on a few and see if there's any difference...

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2004 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

I’m a dope

Another quote I'll save for a later time.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 12:04am
From what I've understood, in the past, Kalk slurry and Joe's Juice are the same thing. Not a dopy thing, though... just another victim of a "cure all".
www.captivereefing.com
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 6:10am

$7 bucks woulda paid for your share of TLP!

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

$7 bucks woulda paid for your share of TLP!

$8 would have paid for your share of TLP and all the Kalk you could want.

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 11:18am

Jon i have a great mix to kill them guys off,

Take 1 part calcium to 1 part Ph buffer pour in alittle hot water mix fast as it starts to react HURRY and syringe up that mix and go to town the chemical reaction when put in them kills them fast give that a try and let me know......

Eric,

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 1:04pm

Hey finch, if it makes you feel better I bought Stop Aiptasia from The Aquarium when I just started out... I still have the bottle in my frig. They find it to be nothing more then a tasty treat... And I paid $17.49..... Can you say SUCKER!!!!

I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 2:10pm

reptoreef, where were you a couple days ago when I order it

Eric, I'll try it after I finish my aptasia "taste test" between Joe's Juice and kalk paste.

Everyone go see TLP!

Connie,   I opened a bottle of that stuff at the LFS, it smells like paprika or maybe Tabasco.  Perhaps you've got mexican aptasia

reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 4:58pm
www.captivereefing.com
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 9:57am
Jon, After we spoke about that majano hitchhiker a couple months back, I tried just the really, really hot water. Worked like a charm. I used it on an aptasia HH that I found on another coral I got. Worked like a charm there too. The trick was to move the coral next to the stove where you can keep the water hot enough, keep the rock or coral submerged and inject the heck out of it. I stick them 5-10 times. Then, pluck/cut it off. Then I inject any tissue left on the rock. I do not have any aptasia in my tank.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 10:44am
Carl, Mine are manjo... what kind did you have??

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 2:11pm

Connie Cutie,

I had majano first. Well, I didn't "have" it... it was on a coral rock that I was going to put into my system. Before I put it in I killed it. As soon as I injected it it shrivelled up, but I kept injecting about 6-5 more times over and over and over... DIE MAJANO, DIE!!!! KILL 'EM ALL, LET POSEIDON SORT 'EM OUT!

Sorry, I'm better now. Please remember, ALL life is valuable. Hug a Majano today. Peace.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 2:22pm
your cracken me up.... Im going to try that tonight...wish me luck.. Hey, I have some Apistias Stop if anyone wants to buy it.. 1/2 price sale...

Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 3:23pm

Hey Jon,

I think that Mark has some magic juice that he would sell you for only $6

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2004 at 8:25am
Connie.... how did it go? Are they dead? Did you kill them?
In Syracuse

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic