Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

our dead tangs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: our dead tangs
    Posted: January 10 2009 at 11:30pm
our yellow and blue tangs were alive last night they seemed to looked and was eating fine, we have a small outbreak of aiptasia, was suggested to use lemon juice on the aiptasia and used an eye dropper  to  treat the aiptasia, we were out and about this morning on through the afternoon and when we got home our tangs were dead! our parameters are:

temp 79
ph 8.12
orp 328
salinity 1.20
cal 320
nitrate 5
nitrite 0.1

any suggestions what could of happened to our tangs? our other fish seem to be acting fine
thanks russ and kathy

RUSS&KATHY
125g 2'x 4' mixed reef-45g refugium-2x250 MH-2-65 watt actinics-Neptune pro controller-Ca reactor-Ozone
120gal live webcam
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 12:15am
what was the ammonia?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 12:39am
ammonia o.1
RUSS&KATHY
125g 2'x 4' mixed reef-45g refugium-2x250 MH-2-65 watt actinics-Neptune pro controller-Ca reactor-Ozone
120gal live webcam
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 12:53am
thats a bad sign. A slight spike in ammonia will cause fish to die. they are sensitive to it. I'm guessing that the ammonia could have spiked from the lemon juice. how large is the tank and how many aptasia did you kill at once?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 1:48am
120 gal tank, and about 15 aiptasia, the rest of the fish seem to be acting fine hopefully tomorrow they still will be thanks crystal for the reply
RUSS&KATHY
120gal live webcam
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 1:11pm
hmm that is weird than. did you possibly turn off powerheads or something when you killed the aptasia and forgot to turn them on?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 3:57pm
Sorry for your loss.

I would use a nitrite neutralizer so that you don't lose other fish in the tank.  You don't know if the nitrite is on the way up or down.  I'd also do a WC.

Could have been a temporary sudden drop in pH. 

Are they the larger fish in the tank?  Oxygen depletion usually affects larger fish first. So if power was out or pumps off for any other reason like Crystal mentioned...
Home of the baby Picasso!
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 4:53pm
lemon juice didn't work on any of the aiptasia, power heads  were on, our yellow tang was large and our blue tang was small, we have a neptune controller our ph stays steady, I did a water change this morning, I would of thought what ever was going on in our tank would have effected our copper banded butterfly first, 
RUSS&KATHY
120gal live webcam
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 5:02pm
the lemon juice needs to be Injected not just put on it. the paste is apply only but the juice has to be straight shot injection.
75 Reef
55 Reef

rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 5:38pm
injection makes more sense, we were told to use a turkey baster, we used an eye dropper   thanks for the clarity! 
RUSS&KATHY
120gal live webcam
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 7:13pm
Maybe the tangs ingested the lemon juice and had a Ph spike with in themselves?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 10:27pm
I think your right, when ever we had our hands in the tank the tangs always was curious what we were doing,  were missing our tangs I guess we have to chalk this one up to live and learn,  thank you for your comment 
RUSS&KATHY
120gal live webcam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic