Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CLAM REMOVED! update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CLAM REMOVED! update
    Posted: January 03 2009 at 12:29pm
I have a teardrop clam that I bought from Marine Aquatics, and it has attached it's self to the PVC that they had it on in the store. How do i remove it with out killing my clam?
Its little foot is attaced to the pvc by like 100 strong fibers. Do I just cut thoes fibers??
or just try to irritate the heck out of it and hope it drops off.
Thanks for looking.

Edited by tazman1982 - January 04 2009 at 7:12pm
75 Reef
55 Reef

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 12:31pm
NOOOOO leave it or you will kill it most likely.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 12:39pm
I've read that you can cut them off. But if you damage the gland you can kill the clam. If you just cut the fibers it should live. If you can hide the PVC it would be best to leave it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 12:50pm

I think the PVC is stoping it from opening all the way.  I will post pics soon.

it has been in the sand for over 1 month and I was hoping it would detach it's self and move to the sand. but nope! It has never opened all the way and I think the pvs is limiting it.

Edited by tazman1982 - January 03 2009 at 12:54pm
75 Reef
55 Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 12:57pm
75 Reef
55 Reef

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 1:09pm
Wow - I am not sure how you would remove that. Are the threads accessible? The only way to do it is to softly - very very softly - pull the clam away from the PVC. DO NOT force this. If it wont move, dont move it. 

Then, with a super sharp razor - if you can get at the threads without hitting anything else (there are some sensitive bits down there) cut the threads closest to the PVC.

Like people have stated above - you can really do some damage here if you arent careful.

Edited by ssilcox - January 03 2009 at 1:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 1:17pm
I will get pics of the threads
75 Reef
55 Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 1:22pm
75 Reef
55 Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 1:30pm
Also what is this?
75 Reef
55 Reef

Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 4:24pm
Do you have a dremmel?  You could cut away as much pvc as possible and leave the bit it is attached to.  (Just an idea)  Then it could open all the way.
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 4:40pm
I like that Idea. How long can I keep it out of the water? I figure about 1 min or so but I dont want to cut PVC over my tank.
75 Reef
55 Reef

drysea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drysea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 5:28pm
I know some clams spend time out of water in nature. It can stimulate a spawning event if they are mature. Also I have a grinder or dremmel if you need one, you could get most of the pvc off without touching the fibers at all.
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by tazman1982 tazman1982 wrote:

I like that Idea. How long can I keep it out of the water? I figure about 1 min or so but I dont want to cut PVC over my tank.

If you get the clam to close up before taking it out of the water it sould be fine for several minutes (someone else may know how long for sure, but clams are often out of water for very extended amounts of time (hours) when the ocean is at low tide.

As for cutting the pvc I also think that is a better idea than cutting the clam off it.  I'd also make sure the clam is over something very soft (padded) while cutting, just in case it falls. (like a folded up towel)
btw what do you plan to use to cut the pvc?

Let us know how it goes.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 5:50pm
Wow what a cool thread! I have never seen a clam bum before. So interesting. And the weird tube worm thing. Don't know what that is. Big. Cool. Take more pics.  Our clam (that we got at the last frag fest BTW) scooted itself over to the front glass and attached right up against it grrrrr.
Andreason's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Andreason Andreason wrote:

Wow what a cool thread! I have never seen a clam bum before. So interesting. And the weird tube worm thing. Don't know what that is. Big. Cool. Take more pics.  Our clam (that we got at the last frag fest BTW) scooted itself over to the front glass and attached right up against it grrrrr.

Clam bum!! That is funny! Tongue 
I am planing on the dremmel thing right now but I am waiting to see if anyone else has had experiance with this before. and if there is an actual way to remove it.
Thanks for all the advice and offers to help.  I may need that dremmel..... I have to see if I can find mine and if I have a tip for it.
75 Reef
55 Reef

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 6:35pm
I put mine in the shade for a while and it detached after not liking it
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 6:39pm
HMMMM>>>> That makes sense! worth a shot.. but how long did it take to detach?
75 Reef
55 Reef

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 7:34pm
clams will move when they are not happy. I've had mine drop all of their little fibers before for no reason and move... they are still alive years later. the suggestions about cutting the pvc should be fine. he will be ok out of the water long enough for you get get the pvc cut off. be careful not to get your fingers in him though. they tend to not let go. as far as the thing on the side it is a vermatid (sp) worm. they build a hard spiral shell. they are considered a nuisance if they spread all over the tank but are really harmless. I smash their shells with blunt objects.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 11:07pm
Go ahead and carefully cut the byssal thread as close to the pvc as possible.  DON'T try to pull him off or you will most likely damage his foot.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 1:37pm

Definitely do it the way Jake suggests. As a side note. Cutting the PVC over the tank would not hurt anything but the PVC shavings float and seem to be a pain to collect.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic