Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mushrooms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mushrooms
    Posted: December 17 2008 at 12:32pm
I should know the answer to this but I don't.  When you frag mushrooms do they release any toxins that could be harmful to anything in your tank?

Deb Christmas Lights
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 12:37pm
Yes, I have found them to be fairly toxic that way. We weren't trying to frag them so much as remove them. Made several things unhappy, including me lol.
Andreason's

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 3:11pm
  Do you think they would release enough toxins to kill fish?

DebChristmas Lights
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 3:40pm
I would vote no. But enough to harm sensitive or nearby corals.
Andreason's

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 5:04pm
I've never had a problem with this.

Mike

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 5:10pm
The reason I ask is because I am still trying to figure out why my seahorses died.  The only thing different that I had done was frag some mushrooms in the tank.  I actually cut them off of the rock while they were still in the tank and gooey crap went all over the tank.  Three days later my seahorses died.

DebBig smile
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 12:26am
I have never had seahorses, but I have cut as many as 200 mushrooms in 1 day and never had any problems with fish being harmed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 7:05am
I was hoping Will would see this!

Mike

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 11:32am

I didn't think mushrooms would kill fish, but it was the only thing I could think of.  After I did a water change the one seahorse I have left looks great.  It is weird because he is the one I have been scared of losing since I got him.  He wasn't as active as the others were and he changes colors all the time.  Since the others have died he has turned bright yellow and is more active. hmm...

DebBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 4:05pm
Pretty strange!

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic