Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm A Convert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm A Convert
    Posted: December 10 2008 at 1:32pm
So for a year now, I've been running my 125 with a single 60" retro fit T5 fixture, and my softies and a couple of my few LPS have seemed to be doing well...  up until like a month ago when I got an awesome piece of Candy Cane and have been watching it waste away.  Finally last night I decided to rig up a 70 watt MH fixture I had sitting around to hopefully save the piece... Mind you, the right side of my tank is as bright as it gets... the left is with one single 70 watt MH... and the bulb is used at that...

Picture #1 taken without the flash.

Picture #2 taken with the Flash on.

And Picture #3, just becasue I love my RBTA's

Conclusion... T5's are cool, PC's are cool (I lied about I actually have two 24" on the tank for addtional actinic lighting) but as of this morning, I have purchased two more 70 watt bulbs, and hopefull over Christmas Break I'll be able to add all three to my current tank.

-Tim

Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 1:45pm
Timmy, I have a dual 175w mh Retro set up I could sell you. I have plenty of light over my 125 with 12 t5 bulbs and I dont see needing the halides againWink (think of the difference of 175 over 70....)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 2:14pm
It isn't the lighting! It is the maintenance of your tank! LPS need clean water. Plus over a 125 you need 12 bulbs like Dion has done. At least 10 minimum. Plus what bulbs are you running? When were they last changed?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

Timmy, I have a dual 175w mh Retro set up I could sell you. I have plenty of light over my 125 with 12 t5 bulbs and I dont see needing the halides againWink (think of the difference of 175 over 70....)

I'm thinking and all I see are $$$'s I don't have Big smile

Honestly, I'd love to upgrade my lighting... but... and not to give anything a way... but there is a chance (pretty good one) that in the next 6 months I'm going to be selling everything off... not getting out, just changing, so I don't want to invest a whole lot right now until I know what I'm doing for sure.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by rtparty rtparty wrote:

It isn't the lighting! It is the maintenance of your tank! LPS need clean water. Plus over a 125 you need 12 bulbs like Dion has done. At least 10 minimum. Plus what bulbs are you running? When were they last changed?

Now Ryan.. how do you know my tank isn't clean??? 

I actually have a couple of other CandyCanes that are doing awesome... but I do need more lighting, so I thought I'd see if it helps thats all...

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 2:37pm
You told me your tank is dirty! HAHA

I was just giving you crap. I have never done candy canes so I am not sure on how they react to stuff. But I have a lot of LPS in my two tanks.

Wall Hammer
Branching Hammer
Frogspawn in both
Torch
Acans in both

So I know a little about LPS keeping
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 2:39pm
There are some definite benefits to MH, Tim. 

Honestly dude, between T5 and MH you're looking at two decent options.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 2:57pm
And he will have BOTH!!!!!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

And he will have BOTH!!!!!!!!!

Not only will I have both T5's and MH... I'll also have PC's and a couple of LED moonlights... Heck yes, I have everything on my tank Big smile

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 3:07pm
oh and just for the record (Ryan) I started doing water a changes again... starting tomorrow!  (I really am doing a big water change, thats not even a joke... the water is mixed up, I just need to do it now)

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 3:24pm
LOL Tim you are funny!

Tanks love water changes! I am very strict on mine. Every week! Never missed one so far in a year with my nanos

With nanos though I think you have to be more strict on them. No skimmer to help remove waste and excess nutrients
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic