Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulb Comparisons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulb Comparisons
    Posted: July 06 2004 at 6:47pm

So I borrowed Kirk's Iwasaki bulb and it's really not so bad.  It is most definately yellow and washes out the greens and blues, but it's very bright.  Here are some pictures of my tank taken all within the same hour after the bulb had been on for about 10 min. 

For background:

Left:  250 watt MH (10k Ushio ~3 months old)
Middle:  400 watt MH (20K Coralvue ~5 months old)
Right:  250 watt MH (Test Bulb)
VHO:  Two 160 watt URI actinics (~6 months old)

Ushio 10k (about 1 yr old) on right:

Coralvue 10k (about 3 months old) on right

Iwasaki 6.5k (~6 months old) on right:

Sunburst 12k (~6 months old) on right:

No bulb on right:

Lighting is such a personal thing and although these pictures do show differences, they don't really show the whole picture.  The color of the old ushio is still ok (it's yellowed a bit) but the intensity has dropped off.  The Coralvue bulb is kind of an enigma.  It started out gangbusters... brighter then the Ushio and just as "white", but you can see it's shifted a lot to the red.  The Iwasaki is VERY bright (I like), but it really washes out the color... bummer.  The Sunburst is listed as a 12k bulb, but to me it resembles a 20k and as you can see, it's intensity sucks (although there might be plenty of PAR light there that we don't "visualize").

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2004 at 7:53pm

Just from the pictures ,I agree with you, I picked the Iwasaki before I read all of your post.

Youre tank looks fantastic bytheway

Brad

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2004 at 7:55pm
Just out of curiosity, what are those white blocks in the back corners of your tank?
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2004 at 8:19pm
They're my overflow boxes http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1335 and I'm waiting patiently for these green stars to cover them up.
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2004 at 8:35pm

I remember that post back in Nov, I was the one that asked the q about overflow noise.    NOW youre pics make sense to me (it only took 7 months). thanks

Brad

335G Reef
TOTM.

&
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2004 at 9:03pm

NOW youre pics make sense to me (it only took 7 months)

Ya, I thought you might recognize that link.  7 months?  That's quick, I've been trying to communicate to my kids the virtues of going to bed at a decent hour now going on 11 yrs and it still doesn't make sense to them

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 8:40am

I really like your comparisons Jon, it does a lot to actually see what each bulb looks like sitting next to each other.

I'm not sure if you've seen this site but it's defiantly worth a look:

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 9:32am

Thanks Jared.

Anyone here use the xm10k bulb?  How has it aged?

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 9:40am
A friend of mine had a 20K XM bulb that was incredibly blue (too blue in my opinion) it stayed that way for about 10 months and the just dropped off fast.  He replaced it with a 10K MX bulb and after 2 months it still looks great.  I am interested in how they do over a longer period of time as that's the bulb I plan on replacing my current bulbs with.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 10:36am
Hey Jon I've got a ? for you.  How many watts of blues do you run?  I ran you green star/ gorgonians under straight blue light and they lit up fine so maybe I just need more blues. I'm going to try and convert my PC's to acitinics and buy a 250W MH.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 11:24am
I have two 6 ft VHO actinics and the center metal halide is a 400 watt 20k.  My other two bulbs are Ushio 10k right now.  If you want those particular green stars to glow you will need actinic light (420 nm), not "blue" light.  There's a good chance that your PCs are "blue" and not actinic.  But actinic PC bulbs can be had from places like www.hellolights.com or go ahead and convert to VHOs.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 11:33am

I disagree with Jon.  You don't need actinic light, you need blue light.  Blue light being around 420nm so I guess in that aspect I do agree with Jon.

On the other subject.  I'm running 20k halides, and I'm just not pleased with them.  They just aren't bright enough.  But the other day I had a chance to see a tank (Kevin) with two 250 watt halides.  One is a 10k XM and the other is a 20k XM.  The tank has two distinct looks.  The 10k looks so much brighter than the 20k.  I almost went home and bought new bulbs.  But the 10k is so yellow that you need extra actinics. 
But the 20k is so blue you almost have to add whites.  So I think I will keep my 20k and just add a couple 55 watt pc white lights to my fixture. 
We'll see how that goes.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 12:42pm

I disagree with Jon.  You don't need actinic light, you need blue light.  Blue light being around 420nm so I guess in that aspect I do agree with Jon.

You disagreed and agreed in the same statement .

Violet:  380 - 430 nm
Indigo: 430 - 450 nm
Blue:   450 - 500 nm

Those blue PC bulbs and some T5s do not peak at 420 nm.  Probably closer to 475 nm (which is the wavelength of "blue").  "Actinic" lights peak closer to 420 nm.  They are called "actinic" because the definition of actinic is electromagnetic radiation that produces a photochemical reaction.  The wavelength is dependent on the photochemical reaction... it just so happens that at 420 nm the pigments in the corals "react" and glow.

LEDs emit an almost monochromatic light.  I have a blue on (470 nm) and a violet one (410 nm).  The difference between the two at night are dramatic to say the least.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 12:46pm

So I think I will keep my 20k and just add a couple 55 watt pc white lights to my fixture. 

I would suggest the 10K (or 50/50, not the one side blue other side white bulbs though) rather then the daylight, 6.5K.  I've actually thought about doing that too, for the same reasons you list.  But I would still keep my VHO actinics

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 12:59pm

Jon,

Disagree again.  I think most actinic light out there is Red!  However, in the hobby we get use to thinking that actinic light is blue.  We use those terms synonymously but as you said, that isn't the definition of actinic.  It is another Adam pet peeve to hear people saying it.  I cringe.

Anyway, I do think you could have a wonderfull blue light at 420nm (okay for you I'll call it violet) that would look great.  For me, my pc actinics never looked as good as my pc blues.  I think my pc blues are much darker (closer to 420) and my pc actinics had much more white mixed in with the blue (which was closer to 470). 

I guess what we do agree on, is that we both think a light of 420 is best, but I still like a spread, and not a monochromatic light.  That is why I think LED's will have a difficult time taking over the aquarium market.

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 1:32pm

I think most actinic light out there is Red...

Symantics!

Agree on the LED issue.  Although imo, the real issue with LEDs is intensity.  If they could be manufactured with enough intensity it would be fun to mix and match to get the combined spectrum you desire!

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 1:43pm

I love, absolutely love symantics.  I may not have learned much in school, but that is one area I studied.

As for LEDs.  I agree with Jake (I think Jake still has this impression) that LEDs are bright enough.  Those super bright leds, imagine like a panel of 5,000 of them above your tank.  But they are costly, and they don't have that halide shimmer.  
But manufacturing a big panel of them and getting a wide spectrum would be a pain. 

Adam

(oh yah, I don't think combining your spectrum would be fun at all, I just like buying my lights and setting them up on my tank) 

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 2:16pm
my T5 blue plus bulbs blue spectrum peaks at 450nm and are VERY blue. they do have a nice glow to them, but it is different than a VHO actinic. i find the VHO actinic has a more lavender/violet color.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 3:23pm

As for LEDs.  I agree with Jake (I think Jake still has this impression) that LEDs are bright enough.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see it.  Those really bright LEDs are in the neighborhood of 12000 mcd (blue) to 24000 mcd (red) at a viewing half angle of 10 degrees.  If you use an average candela rating of 15000 mcd (you'll want more blue then red) it works out to about 1.4 lumen per bulb.  Let's say you could fit 11,400 LEDs over a typical 90 gallon tank.  That's only about 17,000 lumen.  One 250 watt MH bulb is more then that.  But I must be wrong, 'cause everyone say's they're the light of the future

(I've got a skunk clownfish swimming under blue actinics )

Edited by jfinch
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 4:12pm

I know what you mean Jon.  I hear the arguements, and I'm not sure what to think.  Although, I do know that my halide wastes a ton of light.  I know this because ever since I got my halides my living room is a whole lot brighter.  Even above the tank.....

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic