Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Koralia Wave Maker?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Koralia Wave Maker?
    Posted: October 22 2008 at 9:37pm
I've got an idea and just wanted to see if it is possible.

I have a pair of Koralia's in my tank right now and love them. I want to do make a wave maker for them but when you shut them off and on they make an awful rattling noise.

So my thought is, what if we can find a rheostat that automatically lowers and raises the voltage? It sounds a little crazy but it would be something similar too Christmas Lights. They dim and they get brighter but never shut off. If you were to apply the same type of thing to a Koralia, would it work?

Just an thought.

Sculpin

Edited by Sculpin - October 23 2008 at 1:27am
vbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 9:45pm
Hmmm interesting thought. That would be cool if it did but would it be worth it to try to rig together? I know a diy wavemaker with maxijets is pretty cheap but I agree I like the koralias better.

Aaron Ferre
New guy with a keyboard, watch out!!!
54g custom bowfront
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 9:57pm
I think that would work great man. It is ok on them if ya just power them down slowly. good idea brotha
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 10:07pm
It's definitely worth trying.
Of course there are also stream pump mod kits for MJ's.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 1:43am
I've decided to cast a wider net and posted it on RC to see if anyone with electronic experience can help me out on this project. I just don't know where I can get what I'm looking for. I really think it has potential but who knows. It's probably something that could actually be marketed if it works.

Sculpin
snoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 7:21am

This is a good idea, I think the rheostat would work or be worth a try.  I looked around for a good rheostat a while back for another project, not aquarium related, but had a hard time finding one. I ended up using this

which worked for my project, this will slow down any AC motor, which I believe the original Koralia have.  The biggest hurdle I would think is automating the system, I have not seen any rheostats with any kind of electronic control which would mean you would need some kind of motor to move the rheostat control up and down. Anyway good luck, I will watch this thread and hope something works and affordable comes out of it
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 8:58am
Rheostats or dimmers will not work with an Ac motor, only with DC, the only viable controller for any AC, (mj's, koralias seios etc) is the SEIO controller, in fact many thread have come up over the years with very minimal success being led by engineers etc....  Pretty much everyone has come to the conclusion that if you want a true controller just buy a seio.
Your idea works on DC motors as their speed is directly driven by the amount of current they receive, ie tunzes.
Even the new DC koralias that are out don't function on true DC,they convert AC to DC with there controller, mainly a feature that forces you to buy their 200 dollar control box....

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 11:21am
Well after some more research I think your right Dew2loud1, but still that just sucks. I guess if it was as simple and easy as just a dimmer switch it would of been done already. 

However, I did hear about a mod you can make with a small rubber hose to make the Koralia's not rattle! I could do that and the poor mans wave maker instead. I would of liked my idea better but hey, at least it's something right?

Sculpin
IdahoReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 7:25am
I have been researching this for some time. I think it is possible...

Economical?
bgreenlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgreenlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 10:00pm
The only viable way to run an ac motor at lower speeds is to lower the frequency of the input. You can slow them down with voltage, but it generates heat and will burn the motor up. From a cost to do properly standpoint, its cheaper to buy premade products like the seio controller, or the new koralia kit.

My personal preference is the tunze powerheads with the aquacontroller running an aquasurf.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 2:36am
I have used the seio controller with K3's and from personal experience it only slightly worked.  When the seio controller lowered the frequency to slow the speed of the K3's, they had a reoccurring problem of the propeller stopping. when they ramped up the power again, the k3's would spin backwards.  It got really annoying.  I have had better luck using modded maxi-jets.  
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 5:55am
I Think this is a little spendy but it is made for them so it must work right

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HY-J01101&Category_Code=Wavemaking
Mike Sanches

Magna
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 5:02pm
The koralia controller will only work with the new pumps not with any older pumps, so you would have to upgrade all of your pumps as well, the new pumps are about the same as the old in price though.
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 5:06pm

does anyone know anything about the new models 5 - 8

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29048 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic