Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H. magnificent anemone feeding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H. magnificent anemone feeding
    Posted: June 29 2004 at 9:30am

I just bought a ritteri from Fish-4-U. It appears to be bleached, but it is truely amazing. I am just curious if anyone has any advice on feeding it. The main problem is that the clown fish knocks the food out of the anemone before it gets a chance to eat it.

Another problem I have is where it decided to stay (*edit- since it needs intense lighting). I was hoping it would sit on top of the rock structure, but it had other ideas.

Thanks for any advice

Edited by BananaTropics
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 9:45am

I would really, really not worry about where it has decicided to hang out. Chances are it'll move. Remember, it is a living organism with the ability to move. It's like wanting my sailfin tang to only be on the left side of my tank, about 1/2 way up in the front... no a little to the left... no... up...up... hold it! Now don't move. Kinda silly IMO.

As for feeding it, place the food near the mouth and allow the anemone to close around it. If the food gets knowcked out before you can ingest it, well, it needs to move a bit faster. Honestly though, you don't have much control over it other than to try and shoo the anemonefish away from it while it's injecting. But again, just IMO.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 9:54am
Thanks Carl. I was told these anemones need intense lighting. Where it is now, it isn't too bright (the reason im concerned). I guess I just need to hope the anemone can find a place where its happy.
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 9:56am
Thats cool, is the Nemo  (A. Ocellaris) aquacultured??  If so, how'd you get him to host??
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 10:04am
Yes, it is a captive bred A. ocellaris. I fed the tank near the anemone, so the fish would notice the new addition. Within 15 minutes, the clown entered the anemone and became very defensive of that side of the tank.
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 10:06am
excellent, how long have you had him??
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 10:24am
I have had the anemone since June 24 and the A. ocellaris for close to a year now. It hosted in some xenia for a couple months until the xenia died. It then found some frogspawn (far right in second picture) and has hosted in that until June 27. (am i saying that right? or should i say the frogspawn hosted the clown fish? What is the word im looking for. The clown fish _____ the anemone.  )

Edited by BananaTropics
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 10:46am

I'm a bit jealous!  I love those big anemones!

Can't really help any on the placement though.  But I gotta believe that if he's healthy he'll move to where ever he's comfortable.

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 10:47am

hosted in the... or the anemone hosts the anemonefish.

If your anemone needs more intense lighting and more is available, it will move. The only reason that I can thik of where it may not be attracted to an area of more intense light would be water flow. If the return from a sump or powerhead is flowing in the more desireable spot with intense lighting, it may opt not to move there. Also, your anemone does not appear to be "bleached out". It is certainly a beautiful specimen with great color in it's tips. The tell-tale sign of an anemone in poor health is often the mouth sagging open loosely. Looking at the first picture, this does not appear to be the case.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 11:34am

I purchased a very large Bubble tip several weeks ago and put it in what I considered the ideal place for it.   Naturally this meant that the anemone did not consider it an ideal place.  Of course within a couple of days the anemone moved...into a cave under all of the rock.  It stayed there for several days and I somehow resisted the temptation to move it again myself.  I figured all was lost and that it was going to die when I found it attached to the top of the cave and "face" down in the sand.

Still resisting the temptation to "fix" it, I found seveal days later that it had moved to the top of my rock structure and came out again within inches of where I had placed it the first time.  It is now attached to a rock at the top of the tank and moves almost daily from one side of the rock to the other. 

I guess we just have to be patient with these creatures and give them the time they need to decide where they want to be. 

I also wonder if it doesn't take them a little time to get used the change in lighting that most of them go through when purchased from an LFS.  I know mine came out of a tank with 1 VHO over it to my tank with 3 250 watt HQI MH's.  The lighting probably increased 3 or 4 times or more.  This may have had something to do why he seemed to immediately crawl into a cave.  Kind of like coming out of a movie theater into full noon-day sun.

Here's a pic of my guy...

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 11:49am
My RBTA has been in my tank for about 5 months now. It wqas placed and stayed on the left side for four months. It split a few months back and the remaining mother stayed in that one spot. Well, about 3 weeks ago it decided that it didn't like the left side and began a world tour of my tank. It tried the middle... nah... tried the left again... nope... tried the bottom, uh-uh... maybe the right... Hhhmmm.. this has potential. It does have a better view out of the window there. Maybe it likes the sunsets.
In Syracuse

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 12:33pm

I recommend blending up a shrimp or two and then squirting the smaller bits on the anemone (with a turkey baster, large syringe, etc.)

That way the clown can eat some of the food, but there will be enough pieces that the anemone will get some also.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic