Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My acrylic tank bows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My acrylic tank bows
    Posted: June 27 2004 at 9:18am
I just put together my 55 gallon headboard yesterday. I noticed that in the middle of the tank on the front and back that the acrylic bows outward about an inch in the middle.  is this normal? What about when you get bigger tanks like bananatropics 90 cube? does it bow also? what are the posibilitys of this this blowing out?
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2004 at 10:18am

Hi,

It's normal.  Ours is 225g, and I haven't had the nerve to try to figure out how much it bows.  If I knew, it would worry me. 

Renee

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2004 at 9:26pm
 makes me conciter buying thicker than needed acrylic if I am building my own tank....
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2004 at 9:39pm
or brace the top somehow.
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2004 at 11:16pm
Ditto on Chrisslc's post. Any acrylic tank that is of decent size will have (or at least should have ) some sort of bracing in the top.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 7:25am
Funny that this should come up.

At about 9PM last night, an acrylic box that we had professionally made for a sump/refugium just blew a corner seam! It has a top brace across the middle, but there was no corner reinforcing. The repair will involve a bead of thick acrylic for reinforcement in all corners and bottom!

Adam suggests a triangle brace on top of each corner as well. He feels that a bead of #16 and a top brace is stronger than square rod.

Any other suggestions from anyone? Please call my hotline, if possible.

It's the back right corner that split.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 10:29am

Mark,

I think a triangle brace is a good idea for the top (a small lip around the whole top is a better idea).

I think a bead of #16 will be sufficient to strengthen the bottom seams, but not quite as strong as using square rod.

Skyetone,

All acrylic bows under pressure, but your tank should not be bowing a lot.  If it is very noticeable then you have a problem IMO.

What kind and thickness of acrylic did you use?  How tall is the tank?

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 2:44am
Well, A $15, 30 gal plastic tub is now the refugia for this 180.
As I looked at the acrylic box after removal, I can see an additional problem developing along the back bottom seam. The entire seam is cloudy rather than clear.

I have decided to sell it and leave the repair to someone else. The two sons-in-law wanted to be helpful by removing the sand and taking the sump out that night. That was a nice gesture. Unfortunately, they also used a metal scraper to remove the coralline algae, the feather duster tubes and calciums deposits. Thanks so much for the "help".

I despise acrylic!

Edited by Mark Peterson
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 6:58am

the tank I have does have a full lip on the top of the tank for sapport. It is a typical 55 gallon setup. what 48x12x24? x 1/4inch I think. I was at pets and such this weekend and saw there acrylic salt tanks... 48x48x12-18? was easy 3/8" thick. Does that help out with bowing? I would figure that bowing acrylic would be a problem like marks. But I wonder if thicker bows less that it would make everthing more stable......

Mark hasn't had glass sylicone go to pot lately has he.....

Magna
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Skyetone Skyetone wrote:

Mark hasn't had glass sylicone go to pot lately has he.....

I once bought a used glass tank that had a leak so I fixed it with silicone.

I have worked with about 25 of my own personal tanks over the years, some new but most used, and have seen 100's of tanks because of my activity in the WMAS.

In my experience, acrylic tanks have problems of one sort or another at least 10 times as much as glass tanks. And the problems are even more likely with inexperienced hobbyists. They may be lightweight and they may seem easy to work with, but in the long run they are not worth the added cost. In fact, to me, they are worth less than glass tanks!

Just my experience and opinion.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 11:56am

In fact, to me, they are worth less than glass tanks!

Amen.

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 4:35pm
yea but it is hard to build custom glass tanks...

Magna
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 6:02pm

yea but it is hard to build custom glass tanks...

Amen.

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 7:08pm
we could all be the same .......... that would be fun...

Magna
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 9:00pm

I love glass tanks.  Much more than acrylic.  But when I build my next big tank, or really nice display tank...... well it will be acrylic. Dang it!

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic