FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power outage fun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power outage fun
    Posted: August 31 2008 at 10:20pm
I know that is not the best way to look at it because it was stressful to me.  But while the power was out tonight I took a flash light and checked out my tank to see how everything was doing.  And to me suprise what all sorts of cool things in there.  I didnt think that I had that may pods in my tank yet but only after the lights were out for about a hour all the glass on my tank was moving.  I sat there and counted over 50 in a square inch of baby one.  Plus the rocks were just moving with grown ones.  But thats not all of it.  I have the standard brishal worms like everone else in there.  Plus I have some other kinds of worms that I have never see.  The first ones where kind of clear and really skinny they would strech out and get something with there mouths and you could even see it go through them because they are clear.  I have no idea what they are and if they are good or bad.  The second type of worms that I have are little red ones about the size of a hair.  They were all over the rocks and even my snails have them on them.  And I dont know what kind they are eather so if someone knows please let me know.  This was a great learning time for me.  Also I have a ton of snail type things in there but they really dont have any shells to them.  Just a small flat one on top of them.  Then I was looking on the bottom sides of some of the rocks and to my suprise there were all kinds of sponges in there also.  I guess I have never really looked like I have tonight.  With no water movement you can see everything in there move it was alot of fun to me to see all the different kinds of life that I have going on in my little glass home for them.  Oh yeah I remember one more thing that I have no idea what it was.  It was a really small worm type of thing only about 1/2 inch long and really skinny.  It has black and white strips going down its body.  It was moving around on the rocks like a catapiller does where the front of it is holding down and then the body kind of arcs up and the back moves forward then the front moves forward and so on.  But thanks for reading about my power outage fun.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 10:56pm
LOL all my pods are in my sump the ones that make it up to the tank get eatin' by my wrasses.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 11:57pm

I frequently look at my tank after dark and you are right; it is amazing seeing all of the life. The snails with the small flat shell are stomatellas. They are good to have.

Mike

IdahoReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 12:03am
Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see pics and would certainly help with ID'ing.

I'd LOVE some of your sand in MY tank!!!! hehe
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 10:44am
Yeah I wish I would have taken some pictures of it but I was just having to much fun looking at everything.  I swear I would move to a different rock and there would be something new that I havnt ever seen.
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 11:01am
I was in the same power outage last night and when the lights came on I had these itsy (maybe 1") white starfish with long thin legs hanging on the glass!  I was also hit with the need for those battery powered PH's =/  I had 2 PH's hooked up to my car to keep the water movement and it looks like I still lost my candycanes.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 11:59am
Everything of mine looks like it came out ok.  Sorry to hear about your losses. 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 12:03pm
That's too bad you lost the candycanes. I hope everything else makes it okay.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic