Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120 gall fish ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jden092901 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120 gall fish ideas?
    Posted: August 21 2008 at 11:09pm

Im going to be setting up a 120 and need some ideas for some cool fish.  I want some really pretty/different fish.  I wanna get an achilles tang, but was told they are really hard to keep and not to even try them out.  I would like a blue face angle, but can you have them in a reef tank?  What else is cool.  My wife says we have to get a blue hippo tang. lol

Josh
markandmelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markandmelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 6:52am
Large angels will eat all your soft corals. that only leaves you with acro's and possibly leathers.
For Color get a flame angel (dwarf angels are reef safe) or a royal gramma. If the wife wants a hippo tang more than likely she will want clown fish too. I prefer my black occelaris to the orange occelaris personally.
Gobies are always fun to watch. I personally like tangs a lot, and have a sohal tang, purple tang, and until recently a blonde naso tang. Oh, and I have the blue hippo as well. (Dang wifes) LOL
Good luck with the new tank, what ever you decide!!

Edited by markandmelly - August 22 2008 at 6:53am
If you are not laughin' you're not livin'!

210g - just out of storage, deciding what to put in it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 8:28am
Has anyone ever had the achellies tang?  She REALLY wants one.  I was told they are much harder to keep then the powder blue, and this guy knows what he is talking about!!  I will transfer my 6-line over, flame hawk and blue spot jawfish.  I think it would be fun to have a pair of picasso clowns, as dustin said, mans made guppies...lol.  We shall see.

Take care guys.

Josh
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 1:06pm
I recommend you go see Brad's (Tileman) tank. He has beautiful fish that you don't normally see in a reef tank. I'm sure he would enjoy talking to you about them.

Mike

dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 3:24pm
Achilles are extremely hard to keep, mostly due to the fact that they ship very very poorly as they are a very soft sided fish.  If you can get a healthy specimen survival is much much higher. We have had 2 out of 4 make it past the first week, he did very well for three months until our tank crashed, the other died mysteriously after eating fine for several weeks.  Achilles need very turbulent and oxygenated water, they are from the tidal crest and are used to this environment. 
Long term success is very low with them as well, if they do live a while they generally turn into the terror of the tank bullying and killing other tangs.
CT79 has kept one long term in a 95 gallon.....

If you are set on adding one, I would limit yourself to him as the only acanthurus tang, and add only a hippo as his tank mate.  The rest of your stocking could consist of clowns/goby/firefish/bangaii/ maybe a dwarf angel, they are very hit or miss on whether they nip at sps and clams.
Make sure your tank is well cycled before you consider adding the achilles as well.
Good luck,
What are you doing for lighting/skimming/water movement?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 5:53pm
For lights, im going to buy the 48" system from aquatraders (I have the 30" for my 29 now and LOVE THEM).  I would get a better ballest for them.  For skimming, I have a good friend who makes skimmers and they ARE SOOOOO NICE.  They work better then a 1,500 skimmer.  Im going to use a rubbermaid sump, I think.  I still dont know what the crap im doing.  I have had this 29 gallon reef for about a year and have done pretty good with it (my first reef tank).  So, if anyone has any ideas it would be so nice.  I am going to put the tank in the wall. 
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by jden092901 jden092901 wrote:

Has anyone ever had the achellies tang?  She REALLY wants one.  I was told they are much harder to keep then the powder blue, and this guy knows what he is talking about!!  I will transfer my 6-line over, flame hawk and blue spot jawfish.  I think it would be fun to have a pair of picasso clowns, as dustin said, mans made guppies...lol.  We shall see.

Take care guys.

Josh

I vote no on the achilles. You would need a much larger tank. Minimum 180 along with amazingly turbulent water flow. We have successfully kept this fish, but went through 4 before we found a healthy specimen. They must have pristine water quality in addition to survive and are extreme ich magnets. These fish are NOT for beginners or small tanks. whoever told you no told you right.

If you are looking for a tank I would look into a bristletooth or a scopas.

Powderblue are also not beginner fish. THey are similar to the achilles tang, but not as hard to keep. It would also quickly outgrow that tank.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 7:24pm
Hi.  I agree with the others...tangs are a lot harder to keep but then again I don't know how much experience you have.  Are you planning on a Fish Only tank?  If that is the case then I think Trigger fish are wonderful!  There are different varieties and they have a lot of character and they are more hearty than other fish.  They are fun to watch swim around too.  They would also do okay with some puffer fish.  Puffers are really cool and really smart.  Lots of fun watching them watch you.  Just do some research on the triggers and puffers because you can't keep some kinds together.
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 7:35pm
Thanks man...I do want to keep my reef tank.  I love coral WAY too much!  I think a trigger would be fun, however, dont wanna spend 400.00 on a "reef safe" trigger.  I think a school of cardnals would be fun.  I for sure want some wrasses and a blue hippo tang.

Thanks guys

josh
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 11:47pm
some kind of anthias would be awsome expecially if you could get a little school with a good male to female ratio. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 9:10am
Ya, I like Marty's school he has!  Marty has the most BEAUTIFUL tank with some very "sick" looking stuff in there!  He knows his stuff, thats for sure.  I think i'll just put fresh water molleys in there to save money, just kidding.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Josh
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 8:28pm
ive got thing for wrasses right now.  how bout a radiant wrasse?  almost all the "fairy" wrasses are cool.  if you want a hippo tang you can have mine.  that is if you can catch himLOL  do you think your buddy can build me a skimmer for my 90?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 2:20pm
He might...I'll have to ask him.  He was thinking about building some and selling them.  You should see how much crap his skimmer pulls out everyday.  Its crazy!

Josh
markandmelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markandmelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 11:17pm
I would also be interested in a skimmer for my 90. Please ask how much he will charge to make one.
If you are not laughin' you're not livin'!

210g - just out of storage, deciding what to put in it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic