Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand ?? Calcium Substrate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand ?? Calcium Substrate?
    Posted: August 11 2008 at 12:57am
so my friend gave me a bag of All Natural Reptilite Calcium substrate... I'm wondering if its ok to add this sand to my refugium? 

thats what he gave it to me for....  

Its pretty much that bag in the link above =) I hope its not a dumb question... I'm just wondering if its safe, and will it raise calcium?  

I've been washing it for awhile as well...

the bag says it is Silica and Phosphate Free
but it says it contains strontium magnesium and potassium

Edited by NickinSandy - August 11 2008 at 1:02am
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 1:04am
Reptilteâ„¢

An all natural calcium substrate, ideal for true chameleons, or any tortoise, snake, lizard, arachnid, or insect that comes from an arid environment. The naturally spherical grains won’t scratch your valuable animals inside or out! There are no artificial dyes or chemicals in Reptilite™. This low impact substrate also contains strontium and magnesium while being free of silica and phosphates. Though not intended as a food source or supplement, it is 100% edible and easily digestible. In fact, Reptilite™ is made of aragonite, the most soluble form of calcium carbonate available. Allowing reptiles to easily ingest necessary calcium for proper bone development. Reptilite™ also contains naturally occurring strontium, which recent research indicates may increase bone density. Extremely affordable, and easy to use; just add to a depth of approximately 2 inches. Spot clean daily and replace the entire bed every 4 to 6 months. The product is trusted by professional reptile breeders and hobbyists alike. CaribSea offers 5 different colors of Reptilite™ allowing you to create a natural looking habitat for your animals.

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 1:13am
it is the same thing they use in their fish line right?

dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 11:05am
if its carib sea its probably alright, generally it is used for reptiles because it is digestible unlike silica sand which can cause an impaction in reptiles, so I'm guessing its just calcium carbonate like every other aragonite sand, you could call there 1-800 number to make sure

Edited by dew2loud1 - August 11 2008 at 11:06am
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 2:59pm
They say it is aragonite which is exactly what we use for our tanks.  I would think you are safe unless it has been used.  If so clean it well before you use it.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 3:47pm
Thanks =) I also called and they said it should be ok =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic