Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another clown anemone thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PMGuernsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMGuernsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another clown anemone thread
    Posted: June 01 2008 at 10:09pm
Here is my problem, and I am sure it is not unlike others who have had this problem. I have a pair of false perculas that wont host my RBTA. I have heard from a very reliable source that if I tape a picture of clowns hosting an anemone to the glass that this might help them to host. I am having trouble finding a picture that I like. I have taped 2 pictures to the glass and left them for 2 days with no results so far. I am sure I need more patients, but while I wait I was hoping that someone, who has clowns hosting, could take some good pictures and put them on this thread so I can print them and use them. If you have any other suggestions on how to get them to host please let me know.
Thanks as always
Paul
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 10:27pm
first off. this is funny... you trying to get them in the mood???

here are a few
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMGuernsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 10:31pm
Yeah it is kind of funny, but if it works I will be stoked Big%20smile Thanks for the great pics they are better than what I have.
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 2:45am
I tried that with our clown. I had 3 large, color pictures taped up around the corners of the tank near the anemone. He still does not go near it. It sucks, because since the clown swims all over the tank he frequently upsets my firefish, who then spends hours hiding.
90g Reef
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 10:22am
I have not heard this. Would be great if we could get our maroons to host.  I wondered if we bought a wild caught if it would teach our maroons before they harassed it to death, but of course then what?  Our tank isn't big enough for three clowns.  Has anyone found a method that was successful for them to get their clowns to host? 

Wendy
Andreason's

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 10:30am
i put my clowns in tanks with other big fish. it makes them want to host in the nem
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 10:44am
Crystal, what are you doing on here? You are supposed to be delivering puppies!
Andreason's

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 10:51am
im laying next to the whelpingg pool. still no action. she is still panting
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 10:59am
I like my clowns hosting in xenia because I don't have bright lights in that tank. It took about 4 months for my TR clowns to host the xenia and now they wont leave it.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 12:33pm
If they don't go in for the pics of clowns hosting, leave those pics up and post additional pics of predators like Lionfish. That will probably do the trick. This has worked for others in the past.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by MadReefer MadReefer wrote:

I like my clowns hosting in xenia because I don't have bright lights in that tank. It took about 4 months for my TR clowns to host the xenia and now they wont leave it.

That would be WAY handy!  Did you teach them that or is that a stupid question lol 
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 6:52pm
It seems in general that tank raised clowns don't take to hosting nearly as easily as wild-bred fish. In some way they  are probably "losing" that instinct,  being bred out of them - especially ofter several generations of TR fish...

That being said, my TR False Perculas (Oscellaris) do host... Frogspawn Confused they won't go near any of my 'nems

However, my WC Tomatoes host in all of my anenomes - even the Condys Clap

And the male spends alot of time laying on / in my 5" Toadstool whenever the female gives him too much "grief"... Wink

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 10:48pm
My TR ocellaris(sp?) just picked up hosting one day on their own. The male started it, maybe it was affraid. Then the female(bigger so far) kicked the male out and took to hosting the xenia. About a week later the female let the male back into the xenia and they share now.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 10:56pm
That's cool. Once they get it then they get it.

Mike

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 9:13am
Do fish see color?  I want to try this but I have a b/w laser printer.

Wendy
Andreason's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMGuernsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 10:02am
I printed my pictures in color, but I don't know if it matters. No results so far, I havn't tried the predetor fish yet though.
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 10:33am
Maybe it is that clownfish are wanting to host in an anemone that is found in their natural environment? Here is a useful site that lists what most clownfish will host. I am not saying that this is how it has to be as I know there are always acceptions and every fish has it's own mind.

http://www.amdareef.com/ho_anemones.htm
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 10:42am
Have you ever tried to "scare" them in to the anemone, chase them with a net feeding stick etc, towards the anemone, its worked for me on occasion.  Generally though all mine have hosted within 10 minutes of adding a nem......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMGuernsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Lyscer Lyscer wrote:

Maybe it is that clownfish are wanting to host in an anemone that is found in their natural environment? Here is a useful site that lists what most clownfish will host. I am not saying that this is how it has to be as I know there are always acceptions and every fish has it's own mind.
Well after reading this chart it looks like it is hopeless for me, since their is no anemone that will host a false percula. I guess I just have to hope for the acception Confused
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 11:26am
I don't think the problem is that you have  a false perc. I think that it is tank raised.  Hosting is a learned behavior and most tank raised clowns have never even seen an anemone.  Some manage to figure out the hosting thing on their own over a period of time, some will never host or will choose in appropriate things to host. 

Wendy
Andreason's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic