Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How in the heck do I

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jden092901 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How in the heck do I
    Posted: May 16 2008 at 7:05am

keep my water temp at 80.0 deg all the time.  It seems like at night it drops to 78 all the time.  I just woke up and saw that it was 77.4.  Everything seems to be ok.  What should I do and does this harm anything?

Thank you,

Joshua

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 7:19am
cooler is safer than warmer, ideal is closer to a two degree swing, personally I think that you are fine with where you are at.

My tank has had occasional temp swings greater than that and has been fine.

Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 7:21am
I agree with Brian. My tank regularly drops to 75 degrees at night with no problems.

Mike

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 8:53am
I would shoot for it to be 77 all of the time. 80 does not give you too much room for spikes. 4-5 degree swing are not un common.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 9:08am

Should I get a new heater?  What kind should I get?  Does it really matter, and could I just pick one up at Walmart or Petco?  We dont have any LFS here.

Thanks,

Josh
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 9:37am
i think you should do two smaller heaters. that way if one malfunctions it wont overheat your tank
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jden092901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 9:53am
Thanks man...Could I just pick up some at Walmart...or do they need to be $$ ones.

Thanks,

Josh
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 10:14am
some at walmart would be fine(just not preferred), just stay with the smaller ones,
but, we are headed into the season where cooling is going to be the largest factor really soon. you may just wait, most likely in a few weeks heating the tank will be the last concern, also a temp of 77 really allows for more temp swing at the top.
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Newbreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 3:51pm
i've had good success with running my heater on a timer so that it only trips on at night and not during the day while the halides are on (im assuming you've got halides if your getting a big temp swing). the end result is a cooler day temp and the tank doesn't cool off as much at night.

Edited by Newbreefer - May 16 2008 at 3:53pm
DeepFriedOprah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 5:30pm
I bought one from walmart (aquafin) in a pich and I never could get it dialed in, I ended up taking it back and just bought a used one off the board.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic