Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frustrated! *updates/pictures*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frustrated! *updates/pictures*
    Posted: April 28 2008 at 7:15pm
Ugh it's happening again... I thought with the 110 gallon and a fresh start that things would be better but nope... over night my candy canes are withered and over half of my pink zoos are goo.  The fish all look great, well, except my foxface that is permanently 1/2 brown and 1/2 yellow but she's eating well and out in the open now.  Sooo... I did 2 water changes, one Friday and one Sunday thinking maybe there was a nitrate spike that my test kit was not picking up or something but that didn't help.  Any ideas???

Kenya Tree - Doing great
Mushrooms - Not as good as usual but still open
Frogspawn - Doing great
GSP - Doing great
Digita - Doing great
Unkn Monti - Doing great
Rics - Doing great
Sun Polyp - I have NO idea but I'm going to move him more out of the light and see if he opens more, I've only seen him open once in the last 2 weeks. 
Orange Zoos - Looking like normal
Pink Zoos - Disolving quickly
Candy Canes - Withered and not putting out feelers at night
Tongue - Getting a little better each day, he wasn't in very good shape when I got him

Feed : ZooPlex, CromaPlex and Frozen Cyclopese (1 every 2 days).

I'll try anything short of running down the street nekked... any ideas??  Is anyone out in Roy that is a coral guru that can stop by and fix whatever it is I'm doing wrong?

Edited by Kynneke - April 30 2008 at 7:33am
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 7:36pm
Are your candy canes and zoos near anything that may be stinging them? I have an extremely aggressive hammer coral that attaked my duncans, and candy canes. Lost half a head on the duncans and a full head from my candy canes. They are about 6 inches from the hammer, but he has some mighty sweepers!
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 7:45pm
Good thought but everything I have are just tinsy frags, nothing is by anything else.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 7:45pm
ok. lets get some info on.. skimmer you are using. what are you using to measure salinty..... refractometer or hydrometer???

also Post all the parameters for your tank you can test for.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 7:54pm
Ok... here goes...

Salinity with refract : 1.026
Temp : 76 night, 78 day
Skimmer is a SeaClone SCPS 100

110 gallon tank
20 gallon sump/fuge with calerpa and Chaeto
195 W PC's (12 hours a day)
2 x 175 W MH 10,000K bulb (6 hours a day)
1 x 250 W MH 10,000K bulb (6 hours a day)
17.5x water flow

Work with that while I run some more tests... my kids added my test instruction cards to their uno deck and lost them so I can't get specifics but I can tell if the colors aren't normal.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 7:57pm

have you calibrated your refractometer lately?? the reason i ask is zoos melting sometimes has to do with high salinity. I've only ever seen mushrooms be affected by salinity issues also.

Your also going to need to either invest in a better skimmer or get a pretty regular water change schedule and testing schedule going

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:02pm
you should be runnign something more along these lines..

seaclones really dont do a very good job at all. Even though they say they are rated for 100 gallons i'd say more like 40 gallons rating.. at the most.. with a very low bioload
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:03pm
Ok

Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 10 (have the card on that one)
Phos : 0
Calc : 300
pH : 7.4
Alk : no idea
Copper : 0

I've been trying to raise my Calc for 2 weeks, I add the max per day of Seachem's Reef Calcium but it never goes up. 
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:04pm
I haven't checked the refract.. I'll go do that now, I have some fresh R/O DI.
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:07pm
It was off a bit, new salinity is 1.024.
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

you should be runnign something more along these lines..

seaclones really dont do a very good job at all. Even though they say they are rated for 100 gallons i'd say more like 40 gallons rating.. at the most.. with a very low bioload

Wow that thing is HUGE, I don't even think I have room for it, nor $225 =/
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:15pm
ok here is your problem. Your PH is way too low. It should be 8.3. the reason you cannot raise your calcium is b/c calcium and alk run hand in hand. If your alk is low. You wont be able to raise your calcium, or keep your ph stable. You are going to need to raise your alk slowly. You can do with this b-ionic, or a homeade solution. I think people use baking soda that they bake. I usually just use b ionic. you will than be able to get your PH stable, and get your calcium going up.

you also need to start doing 10% weekly water changes minimum after you get everything back to keep these levels normal. Your tank is depeleting these nutrients and you are not adding them back in is basically what is hapening.

also the skimmer is ideally what you will need. especially if you plan on having fish and feeding them often. Used ones come up for sale much cheaper quite frequently. Just start saving up :)
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:16pm
Great!  I have baking soda handy, any idea how much to put into apx 130 gallons of water?
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:20pm
you dont just put it in. it has to be baked and dried. lemmie do a search and find the recipe
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:24pm
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:24pm
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:25pm

also make sure you add it slowly!

and your going to need to test your alk and find out where it is at to start

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Kynneke Kynneke wrote:

I'll try anything short of running down the street nekked...  

Well there goes my suggestion.
Adam
ps- email me a couple pics of your tank [email protected]
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 7:25am
I ran out and bought an API Alk Test last night and my alk is at 7 so I added some of Kent's Dkh buffer and will check it again tonight, once I get the alk up I will add some calcium.  I'm studying up on the DIY calcium reactor from last month's meeting to see if I can figure it out.

Great!  I've read all of those links and what I've come up with is shortened to

"
Baking soda that has been BAKED in the oven is converted to sodium carbonate because the heat drives out the co2. Using this will raise the alkalinity and raise the PH.

Spread out on a cookie sheet pan, bake at 400* for 3 hours.

48.1 grams, approx 10.4 tsp, or 1.6 oz"

So my plan is to bake 10 tsp of baking soda for 3 hours on 400* and add it to my R/O top-off water... I hope that'll work for the slow dosing... it's on an auto-top off system and I know it turns on at least 5 times a day.  Do you think I should add it faster than that?  Maybe hand-add it to the sump closer to 3-4 tsp at a time?

Edited by Kynneke - April 29 2008 at 7:36am
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 7:25am
Oh Adam you did NOT put that on your post!  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic