Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hyposalinity vs. Copper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hyposalinity vs. Copper
    Posted: April 11 2008 at 3:14pm
Well my wife just informed me that all the anthias are dead dang I'm really thinking of getting a new hobby...

So I have the nano I got from Adams Nano Challenge, if I move my clowns to it and use copper to treat them, will that ruin the tank for life?  If so, is hyposalinity a better option?  If so what should I place the salinity at?

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by superman1981 - June 04 2008 at 12:37pm
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 4:40pm
Does no one care about my dying fish Cry
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
JWayment View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWayment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 5:44pm
I wish you luck with this, I lost almost everything 5 months ago to ich also, it really sucks.
I tired copper, but either the fish were too far gone or I overdosed, because they still died (get a test kit if you use copper), also I don't know if copper will stay in the acrylic.

I have also tried Hypo treatment and it seemed it work better for me, I followed these instructions that I found through a google search. Also if you do this make sure to get a refractometer, or borrow one, the swing arms just aren't accurate enough (I have a refractometer you can borrow if you need to)

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

Good luck, and I hope the carnage stops soon,
Josh

P.S. If you need to borrow my refractometer call me (599-5556) I won't be back on the board until Monday.

Edited by Baconfat - April 11 2008 at 5:56pm
Josh
120 gal reef
55 gal predator
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 5:52pm
I care. Cry I love Anthias.  I FW dipped my clown and it saved it.  Others on here were talking about some sort of 'safe' herbally type of thing they got at lfs.  I have no experience with that or copper.  But I believe Copper will stay in the silicone in the tank, not sure.  Anyone? 
Andreason's

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 6:49pm
I say hypo. It's harder for you to do, but easier on your fish. I would DEFINITELY NOT do  copper with tangs. they have a special bacteria which allows them to do digest the algae they eat. the copper can compromise this. I've done hypo numerous time with great success. it is a 6 week process either way with both treatments. your tank must stay fallow that long
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 8:28pm
Tim

If you have that nano tank - and it is "ick free"  - I would FW dip all the fish left in the infested tank until the ick drops off them, and then transfer them to the "ick free tank"...

If you do that, you shouldn't need to use copper in the nano

P.S. - IMO when you actually have an ick "breakout" something water-wise is wrong.

Salinity, temp, temp swings, pH swing, ammo or trite or trate stress... something.

My Powder Blue occasionally picks up a few white spots on it's pectoral fins and then they dissappear on their own - but NOBODY else in the tank ever gets anything.

If you have multiple fish getting sick - and dying - something is wrong. Because (again, IMO) healthy, unstressed fish DON'T get ick. And if they do, it clears up w/o any intervention (like my PB Tang)

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 5:35pm
Tim , what is going on . Find the answer, Some times a second set of eyes helps. I feel bad for you. I relly do . How old is the media in your canister? What did you put in the tank last?Fish,Coral,Hot wheels? Come on man Think about it!!!!
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 8:46pm
I'm having problems like tim as well--except I haven't lost any fish yet. 

Tim--that sucks.  Don't use copper in any tank that you want to have inverts in later, it's really hard to be sure that it's all gone.

Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 2:24am
One word....OZONE......cleared up my ich problems in two days, with no sign of it coming back.....I had a little blue hippo that was almost dead.....just ask bill.......hooked up the ozoner and BAM gone in two days.....I said it before, "I will never run my main tank without ozone again".......it is more important than lights.....

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
boogey247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boogey247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 8:20am

I am also having a problem with ich. I am going to do a freshwater dip and see what happens. Just out of curiosity what is an "ozoner"? I am still dumb to this hobby and can use as much help as possible.

P.S. I'm not trying to steal a thread, I'm just curious. Thanks.

Josh

29 Gallon Bow Front
55 Gallon with 25 gallon sump
24 Gallon Nano
Pond
2 dogs + 2 cats + fish + 1 year old daughter = zoo. Welcome to my house.
Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic