Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the sucking aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 12:38am
Robert, Robert, Robert.........Im going to let that one slide.........
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 7:51am
Originally posted by fishman90G fishman90G wrote:

Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

So how do you really feel about Urban Aquatics?

lmao i was gonna say something sarcastic like that earlier but felt since i had nothing to do with why he is out of business, divorced and selling off all his stuff, i should just keep my mouth shut.

That is really sad. He lost his business, and his marriage?

wow....

I haven't been paying attention here much. Your post almost implies that there are some who do have something to do with a man losing so much. Isn't this the guy who wanted to start a radio program for WMAS? Why would someone want to hurt him so much?

So, in this thread, a great LFS has been slammed, a young kid and a ex small business owner. Looks like the MB hasn't changed much....

dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 8:27am
        "    I just bought the most impressive gold rim tang from them today....I had been eye balling it for a while now, and finally bit the bullet and went with another expensive fish......I am now really going to see how well this ozoner works....."

You bought the gold rim!!
Good thing- crystal was eyeballing it she said it was absolutely gorgeous, now we can come see it at your place

Edited by dew2loud1 - April 06 2008 at 8:29am
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 2:16pm
Suzy....I believe that The Aquarium was defended quite well. A "young" kid that brought the slamming here was rebuked. And A small Business owner that lost it all did it himself. ( This is the first I've heard about a divorce. So sad with her medical problems)

"Honesty is the best Policy" which BRAD has shown once again. I buy from honest stores with high integrity. I see no reason why any one wouldn't shop with the Aquarium, Fish 4 You, Aquatic Dreams or many others. I welcome any new store and hope that they are based on honesty and integrity or people in general will stay away.

The greatest thing about this board is the incredible diversity here. And the fact that ALL have access to it with out having to "register" and be approved. IT makes me wonder what boards have to hide when they do that.

With such access comes the issues of differing opinions and feelings. Some get out of line and as far as I can remember the stores that are based on Honesty and Integrity have been defended to the end.

Personally I'm thankful for this board being open to all, and NOT monitored like the Third Rik. Ive learned much from individuals here concerning reef keeping, conservation, and even about my own short comings. I believe all of this has helped me be a better person and more responsible reefer..

Edited by Holdencraft 33 - April 06 2008 at 2:18pm
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Originally posted by fishman90G fishman90G wrote:

Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

So how do you really feel about Urban Aquatics?

lmao i was gonna say something sarcastic like that earlier but felt since i had nothing to do with why he is out of business, divorced and selling off all his stuff, i should just keep my mouth shut.

That is really sad. He lost his business, and his marriage?

wow....

I haven't been paying attention here much. Your post almost implies that there are some who do have something to do with a man losing so much. Isn't this the guy who wanted to start a radio program for WMAS? Why would someone want to hurt him so much?

So, in this thread, a great LFS has been slammed, a young kid and a ex small business owner. Looks like the MB hasn't changed much....

You and Todd are good friends Suzy ,?? I dont get your post at all. We all make some bad decisions in our lives from time to time , Be ready to take the good with the bad. But at least have a back bone and stand solid in all your decisions. The message board has changed A ton, new people new ideas new issues. Your posting hasnt. Your still pointing out bad things. Kinda like if you dont like my store ,dont shop here.
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
mlmforsuccess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlmforsuccess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 6:24pm
:)

Edited by mlmforsuccess - April 06 2008 at 7:42pm
KP Properties LLC, Real Estate Investor.
12G Nano
Chris, Provo
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 6:57pm
"We have a great potential in this club, except i am not a member anymore because of what goes on so often in here."  Don't worry about the drama and get to know the people.  I can say I have met more great people through this club than I would have ever imagined.  The same goes for the LFS in the area.  Anyone can stand back and way there are things going on that they don't like but get involved or don't complain.  Chris this was not aimed at you personally, I am just struck by the number of people complaining about things and looking at their guest status.

Brad has gone out of his way to try and make things good and has responded to this, lets let it die.

Now let's all stop throwing sand and play nice.  I have always wanted to way that, I heard it way to often growing up.

Robert
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 7:17pm
Ok, I kept my mouth shut long enough......I don't know how Suzy can say the board hasn't changed much.  If you would notice, the person that started this post is new to the board.  This was actually his 2nd post.  The people that have been around for a while actually defended Brad and his store. There really hasn't been a whole lot of drama on here for quite a while, it seems like everyone is pretty much friends.  I know I have made some great lifelong friends in this club.  I don't like that anyone is slamming any of our LFS's. I am glad that Brad came on here and defended his store.  Not surprising that Suzy came on here and slammed the message board though.  It seems that the only time she "pops" up is when there is drama.

DebBig%20smile
PROUD PAID MEMBER of the WMAS
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 11:42am
Originally posted by jessedidthis jessedidthis wrote:

Large pink text always helps get your point across, even if you sound like a jackass.

Sorry, I was out of town this weekend.  I just now got to reading this.  Dang, this post, along with Superman's about put me on the floor.
That is great.

Adam
ps- I still love shopping at the Aquarium (wanted to say it again)
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 1:53pm
ya know .. I have to pop in here ... I started BST Aquatics thinking I would be able to help the board by not charging a arm and a leg for live stock .. I had a idea that I thought would be great and help the community ...  I have since come to the conclusion that it does not work that way .. you have to take into account the entire picture .. flat out the live stock is expensive .. Does The Aquarium charge more .. Yes they do .. its not a secrete .. but look at there store .. its awesome .. by far the best looking and cleanest store in the valley .. BTW that does not come cheep ..

There are 2 types of people on this board ...

1) the person that want everything for nothing .. and there are more of you out there than you are willing to admit

2) the person that is willing to pay a few bucks for something. Very few on this board are willing to pay what things worth ...  

I will say I learned a lot running BST Aquatics .. and I really found where I stand in this little community ...
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:13pm
Very few on this board are willing to pay what things worth ...  

I think this is a very interesting comment and one I've heard from several LFS. 

Do you think things (equipment, livestock, dry goods) are worth less to people on this board?  Or, do you think people on our board and the internet in general are more educated about prices?

I don't think an items SRP determines its value, but rather the market in which in sells determines the value. If people are willing to pay a higher price -then its value goes up, if not, the value must come down or there will be no transaction. The other alternative is to find another market.

So, back to the original question: is our market (the WMAS message board) just more fickle because we're experienced or because we're just cheap SOBs that don't want the LFS to make any money.
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:25pm
I will say with 100% conviction that people on this board are very very very very lucky to have the resources that they do in the area and that were they in ANY other market they would be  paying much much higher prices.  It's not that they are more educated (many are) but they don't devote half the budget towards reefing that hobbiests in other regions do.

From my personal experience in other locations everyone on this board is willing to pay about 1/2 of what others in the country pay for used equipment and even corals for that matter.  However that worked out I just hope that everyone knows how lucky they are and that they seem to have somewhat of a control of the market value of products in their area.........

There are a lot of people however that seem to want things for nothing, I've never seen anyone actually ask someone to drive an item to them that they are giving away for free, I've seen it twice now on this board, I've also seen items not even being able to be given away or sold for less than 1/10 of market value......

It seems there are a decent number of serious hobbiests and many that wouldn't be in this hobby if they weren't able to get nearly everything for dirt cheap-

Bottom line its a very very hard market anyway to make margins in and in this market it seems that even making any margin is nearly impossible.  So i'd say everyone should count themselves lucky to be in the location they are and appreciate all the resources they have available to them.....

Edited by dew2loud1 - April 07 2008 at 2:26pm
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:27pm

A few other comments about the WMAS community and the fish store business.

For the most part, those of us that have been around the hobby for any significant amount of time know how difficult running a LFS can be. Most of us respect the LFS owners because we know how nearly impossible it is to make a living in this field. Otherwise, you would have Heil's Fish Haven in Brigham City, Corey's iFish in Clearfield,  Adam's Reef Emporium in Centerville, The Garden of Eva Pets and Fish in Murray, and, and, and ....

So many people get their hands on a wholesale price list and think; "Wow, look at that mark up! I should open a fish store tomorrow. Those guys have got to be making a truck load of money."  But, those that know - know better and realize just how much work it takes to make a go out of a LFS.

My hat is off to those guys and I'm really glad they're willing to go for it.  It is a tough industry at best and those stores that have stayed in business long term understand the local market. If they didn't they would not last.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:34pm
people on this board are very very very very lucky to have the resources that they do in the area and that were they in ANY other market they would be  paying much much higher prices.

Can't say I totally agree with this statement. I've been to fish stores in many other cities in the U.S. as well as Germany, France, Sweden, Turkey and England. Some items may be priced lower here, but from my obervations the prices and selection were actually quite similar.  I've since stopped making the effort to find LFS when I travel because they are so similar world-wide.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

My hat is off to those guys and I'm really glad they're willing to go for it.  It is a tough industry at best and those stores that have stayed in business long term understand the local market. If they didn't they would not last.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its to bad that a couple of individuals that have a chip on their shoulder, have to come here and complain about things that they themselves wont do.

Edited by Holdencraft 33 - April 07 2008 at 2:36pm
Bad "censored" Cabinets
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:45pm
I blame it all on Utah Rock Big%20smile

No seriously, I think there are a lot of people in the hobby in Utah because of the cheapness/freeness of Utah Rock, this is a commodity that we have that pretty much no one else has.  I can tell you in all seriousness, that if it weren't for Utah Rock I wouldn't be in the hobby because I wouldn't be able to save the money to buy the rock needed just to get started.  Because of this, you tend to get a lot of enthusiastic hobbiests, who don't have a ton of money (or as much as say, hobbiests in different regions of the country), and consequently are looking for the cheapest prices possible.  I am undoubtedly a cheap hobbiest, and am not ashamed to admit it.  People are prone to look for the cheapest price possible, and because of the freeness of Utah Rock, I think it brings down the expectation of the local fish economy all around.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:49pm

So many people get their hands on a wholesale price list and think; "Wow, look at that mark up! I should open a fish store tomorrow. Those guys have got to be making a truck load of money."  But, those that know - know better and realize just how much work it takes to make a go out of a LFS.

OOO boy you have no idea how true this statement is!!!! LOL ... I have to be honest .. when I started BST I was thinking just that .. I thought heck I could sell for 1/2 of what the brick and mortar stores sell it for and still make a killing!!! guess what ... it doesn't work that way ... and to be honest .. there is very VERY little markup on hardware ... the mark up is in live stock .. but than its a gamble ... so next time you see a Mag 3400 marked at 349.99 and think HOLY COW the store must be making  300.00 bucks on that pump .. think again ... they are making about 25.00 ..

140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
firefighter6681 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighter6681 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:53pm
I agree with Shane here. I know my self and yes I do like to get items at a great price. I mean I do look around alot for th best price. The net has helped alot of people with that. But unlike some people I do drive very far at times just to get something nice. Yes Aquatic Dreams has nice corals and it is the closet LFS I have but I also drive over a hour just to go to aquatica because I like how they treat me. I also like that they have a live guarantee that most don't carry, So its worth the drive. I would have to say though The Aquarium does have a great looking store and they treated me very well.  I think we all for the most part find things we like and dislike about stores.  I mean things that might happen to me might not happen to you and so how you feel about the store is not going to be the same.

I have to say though I like WMAS and glad it is here even though i'm not a paid member

Edited by firefighter6681 - April 07 2008 at 3:06pm
65 Gallon and just getting started again after over year break.
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 4:27pm
Running a LFS costs money anyway you look at it whether it be a brick and mortar store or at home.  Some people don't realize what it takes even for an at home store.  Besides the obvious added electricity etc there are costs such as the monthly charge of running a credit card machine, a checking account, advertising, etc.  Sure there are cheap ways of doing these things but it all adds up.  You still have to pay for a business license,  inspections, modifying your home to comply to laws, a business name etc. And not to mention the price of the equipment and tanks, the livestock, food to keep it all alive, salt, shipping AND freight charges, box charges, etc.  It really does add up quickly.  I can't even begin to imagine what it costs The Aquarium to run on a monthly basis.  Sure, their prices may be higher than some other stores but it is a nice store.

DebBig%20smile

Edited by frednwilma1999 - April 07 2008 at 4:28pm
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:46pm

people on this board are very very very very lucky to have the resources that they do in the area and that were they in ANY other market they would be  paying much much higher prices.

Can't say I totally agree with this statement. I've been to fish stores in many other cities in the U.S. as well as Germany, France, Sweden, Turkey and England. Some items may be priced lower here, but from my obervations the prices and selection were actually quite similar.  I've since stopped making the effort to find LFS when I travel because they are so similar world-wide.

I was referring more to the hobbiest ( used equipment) sector not retail, retail here is very similar to everywhere else actually higher than what I pay in the midwest on livestock, but the corals/fish species that come in vary significantly, some things are cheaper some things are more expensive...

Very good point with the utah base rock, I remember paying  $9 a pound when I first started out, luckily it was only a ten gallon nano, but that was a big hit back then.  For most people starting out the cost of live rock is the most daunting, telling anyone the price to stock even a 29 gallon with $7 lb rock turns them off in a huge hurry!

Either way, I think that everyone is very lucky to have the resources that they do......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic