Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Save me... I'm thinking of doing a plenum...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:28am
Oh and I don't think you should stir up your sand bed at all.  I don't know how mixing up the aerobic and anaerobic zones would be beneficial to the bed.
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:47am
I just do the top 3/4"  area to feed my corals, they seem to like it anyway.
One other thing I do is take a thin dowel and poke it all over the sand once in awhile.
This brings up the trapped gases.

Am I wrong to do this?
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 12:26pm
I am not sure, I just know that my coral would all close and emit the stringy spideweb like emission that made me think they hated it, but that's just me.

Diffusion, Jon, I still think is what gets the molecular particles to the bacteria.  Larger things like fish/coral waste and uneaten food is what is taken around via the water column.  When it breaks down fine enough-- i.e. finer than the particulate matter of the substrate -- that's when the DSB would seem to trap them and cause problems.

But this is anecdotal.  I'm just not sure.  And it's hard to get accurate responses other than "it works for me."  I want to go on more than just that.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:05pm
I don't think uneaten food would ever make it down to the plenum, at least mine never did.
That is why I gave up on the plenum because fish waste and uneaten food would always plug up the sand on the plenum so the plenum became useless. IMO
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:06pm
Huh.

Interesting.
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 2:54pm
Wow Chris, you have more controversy than I did when I said I was going sumpless...   There is too much here for me even want to read it all... but I still stick by my previous statement (like 37 pages ago)  If you want a plenum, go for it!  I think there is more than one way to have an awesome tank...

***not that my opinion matters, all my fish are dying***
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 2:57pm
I just can't go willy nilly, Tim.

I want to know what's best.  I actually had a DSB in my 15 and I REALLY liked the look.  It was my first tank, so whatever problems I had with it I'm going to chalk up to things OTHER than the DSB.  LOL

I'd do a DSB in a heartbeat, but I'm allowing myself to get afraid of what will happen down the road.  I hear from a lot of different sources that in 5-6 years the DSB 'fills' with gunk and you'll have a crash.  I'm not about to go stocking a tank with nice coral and fish to have it kick the bucket, know what I mean?
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 3:57pm
I am some dumb hick that grew up in a town with a population of 211.  I have some college but not a lot.  This is what I know which contains no scientific fact...

I would do a DSB in a heart beat because they look nice.  Then I would place a plenum remotely in the sump.  The only down side to a plenum is they are ugly.   I think a properly set up plenum will last for years.  When I tore down my seven year old 120 to move into a 150, void under the plenum was clean with minimal detritus.  The water in the void had no detectable traces of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates.  The sand was clean with no sign anything ugly.  I know of many thriving plenum tanks that are over 13 years old.  I do not know of a single DSB tank that is thriving and is over 6 years old. 

Plenums work well when set up properly and I have yet to see one fail.

DSB work well when set up properly and I have seen a lot of DSB tanks crash(FWIW most had MH lighting so it might not be related to DSBs at all)

SSB work well when set up properly and I have seen a few fail

BB work well if you pour a lot of money into equipment and are lucky.

Zeovit system works well of you pour a lot of money into it and realize there is a difference between the zeovit media and kitty litter. (they are spelled different)

There are many ways to do it right and only a few things to do wrong.  If you follow the known methods of the above systems, chances are you will have a successful tank for a half a dozen years or so.  If you think you can mix an match from the above systems and take the best from each and use them you will more than likely fail quickly.

Thanks,

Scott
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 3:59pm
To be fair I quickly glanced through most of the above posts, but I though I would offer a few more clarifications/thoughts.

• I do think you should stir your sand bed (no matter if it has a plenum under it or nor), but I should be more clear on what I mean.  I only stir the very top of the sand bed (maybe the top 1/2"-3/4").  This not only feeds your corals/sponges/worms etc., but keeps the top of the bed looking nice.
  • Just for the record I will not make fun of you if you add a plenum (at least not to your face Wink )
  • OFF-TOPIC: I have run many tanks without a sump.  I think having a sump is better, but I would not hesitate to setup a tank without one.

Edited by Jake Pehrson - April 03 2008 at 4:04pm
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:10pm
Jake: Good thoughts.

Scott:  You say first that you would do a DSB in a heartbeat, but then you say you've never seen a tank with a DSB last more than 6 years?  That seems contradictory.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer GARFVolunteer wrote:

I am some dumb hick that grew up in a town with a population of 211.  I have some college but not a lot.  This is what I know which contains no scientific fact...

I would do a DSB in a heart beat because they look nice.  Then I would place a plenum remotely in the sump.  The only down side to a plenum is they are ugly...    
Thanks,

Scott

OK - sidebar LOL - am I doing something "unique" because once set up you can't see my plenums... but yet everyone else keeps referring to how "ugly" they are...?

???

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Generally 1/2" is the smallest space that will work. And that's on a small tank / small water volume (like 20 -30g)

55g - 120g I have found 3/4" is the minimum

120g - 240g I would go 1" to 1.5"

How many tanks have you operated at varying plenum depths?  Have you ever kept a tank with a DSB?  I've never read anywhere (admittently, I'm probably not fully read up on plenums) that plenum depth was an important parameter.

So how important do you think sand depth is?
Grain size?
How should different substrates be distributed?
Do you use screens?

John - check out my 225 build thread (shameless plug Wink) I just installed the plenumed sandbed and most of your Qs can be answered there (plenty of pics of the install as well...)

Edited by carlso63 - April 03 2008 at 5:50pm

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:32pm
I thought of another reason it doesn't matter if you do a plenum or a DSB.

No matter which is better "They" say one or the other will or won't cause your tank to crash in 5 to 8 years or whatever.  This has no bearing on anything since so few tanks are up that long.  Adam B. can back me on this one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by chris.rogers chris.rogers wrote:

Jake: Good thoughts.

Scott:  You say first that you would do a DSB in a heartbeat, but then you say you've never seen a tank with a DSB last more than 6 years?  That seems contradictory.

I do not expect the DSB to last for years like a plenum will.  Unlike a plenum I can syphon out all or a portion of a DSB, completely rinse the sand, as needed, and put it back in.  This would effectively make a DSB last for years???

My current display has a DSB.  However, I do not rely on it for filtration.  It is kind of like jewelry,  just there to look nice.  IMO the plenum in the sump provides the majority of the filtration.

The lovely and gracious Monica's tank has a SSB. That, along with the chaeto, perform the same function as the DSB.  In a few years I will start to cycle the sand out and replace it with new.  Kind of a preventive maintenance...

Thanks,

Scott

"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 7:58pm
We run shallow sandbeds and barebottom, 
I'm guessing this whole debate is over the removal of nitrates,

As mentioned there are several opportunities for problems with deep sand beds, possibly Hydrogen sulfide problems, etc,

I think there are several much easier ways to export nitrates, ie water changes and refugiums, and efficient protein skimming

Most people are using/doing all of these

So why such a debate over the use of deep sand beds and plenums if they are just redundant filtration for what you are already doing?

In our barebottom tank we run a remote refugium with a ~4" sandbed, deep enough or large enough for effective nitrate removal? probably not but it does provide a nice place for pod production

I'm not sure what is referred to as expensive equipment for bare bottom tanks, just a good skimmer as most have anyway,
Shallow sandbeds provide the aesthetics of sand, Ph buffering (debatable) and micro/macrofauna production without any of the other hassles.....

Just trying to see the rationale behind these,
As far as I've known they were the rage before the advent of efficient skimming, which makes sense in that era, but I think it is pretty redundant in our current systems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by carlso63 carlso63 wrote:

OK - sidebar LOL - am I doing something "unique" because once set up you can't see my plenums... but yet everyone else keeps referring to how "ugly" they are...?

OK maybe ugly is a harsh word... I should have used less beautiful... or plain when compared to the pristine white of a DSB...Embarrassed

If I am building the stand for a plenum system, I will design it to hide the substrate like I did with my current setup. 

The first plenum I ever remeber seeing was Sally Jo's tank which is over 13 year now.  Awesome tank if you look at the top 5 to 7 inches...  I guess the ugliness of the bottom really made the top POP!

Thanks,

Scott
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer GARFVolunteer wrote:

Originally posted by carlso63 carlso63 wrote:

OK maybe ugly is a harsh word... I should have used less beautiful... or plain when compared to the pristine white of a DSB...Embarrassed

If I am building the stand for a plenum system, I will design it to hide the substrate like I did with my current setup. 

The first plenum I ever remeber seeing was Sally Jo's tank which is over 13 year now.  Awesome tank if you look at the top 5 to 7 inches...  I guess the ugliness of the bottom really made the top POP!

Thanks,

Scott

You are not the only one to describe them as "ugly" - which I would interpret as "unsightly" or looking "out of place" in the tank... but I'm still confused.

I just set up my 225 with a plenumed sandbed:

take a look at pages 2 & 3 where I do a "step by step" installation on the plenum and sandbed...

Am I doing things differently than what you'd consider a "normal" plenum setup?

Because on mine you really can't tell there is a plenum there unless you either dig into the sandbed or look real hard for the screening line between the 2 sand layers...

If I told someone looking at the tank that it was just a normal DSB I don't think most people would see any difference.

???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 12:28pm
Quote I do not expect the DSB to last for years like a plenum will.  Unlike a plenum I can syphon out all or a portion of a DSB, completely rinse the sand, as needed, and put it back in.  This would effectively make a DSB last for years???

I don't know, would it?  What prevents you from doing the same with a plenum?

If you like the look of white sand, why does a plenum not let you have white sand?
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 1:38pm

Again I am going to start out saying that I only skimmed the above posts.

Isn't the main reason for having a DSB or plenum to provide a denitrification area?

If so, this requires that the sand bed maintains an anoxic (anaerobic) area for denitrification to take place.  Yes it is possible that you may also create hydrogen sulfide, but I have really never seen HS cause a problem in an aquarium (even when the sand bed has been greatly disturbed).

Am I missing something?  If the plenum makes a sand bed devoid of anaerobic areas (which I don't believe it does) then how does dentrification take place?
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 2:01pm
Wow.  This DSB and plenum issue puts my pathetic attempts at threads with jpndave to shame...

I agree with Jake.  I also personally like a SSB, shaken, not stirred.

Man, we just need Shane Heil to comment on Macs vs. PCs.  Gotta get the drama level up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic