Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Traveling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Traveling
    Posted: April 02 2008 at 8:37am
Seems all the good coral deals from members are down in Salt Lake... I have had coral shipped overnight from SWF.com so I wonder... how would a coral survive (rics, xenia) in a bag of water for about 10 hours at room temp?  I figure my husband could pick them up while in SLC, work his shift and then come home with it.

Tanya
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 10:10am
They "should" be okay if they are kept above 70 deg. of course a bit warmer is better, but that would be the lowest I would go.  You can always get those instant heat packs and a styrofome box or cooler.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:20am
i have traveled from spanish fork with both fish and corals, and let me say i just dont make straight shots there and back again, i usually will pick up the item and then it may not get into my tank for hours, like eva said i see no problem with them traveling as long as they are kept above 70, i have had corals get way colder then that and lived imo its not a big deal.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:32am
just remember if you lower the temp you also lower the metabolic rate, which means they can last longer with the same amount of O2, but I would never go under about 65* ( I believe this is what many are actually shipped at from farms etc ).
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Reef Addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reef Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 3:30pm
This past Saturday I went on the Idaho reef tour. 3pm, I bought some Zoa's and Shane put them in a styrofoam box. Too tired to drive all the way from Boise to SLC and so stayed the night in Twin falls. Got home Sunday morning around 10 am. Corals opened up in about an hour. They should be fine as long as the temp is up consistently.
100 Gallon Tru VU Acrylic
2 x 175W 14,000K Metal Halides
2 x 54W T5HO 48" Actinics

(801) 884-2137
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 3:47pm
we fly our corals out from ohio all the time. you'll be fine
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:32am

12-16 hrs. With heat paks in a styro. Should be fine. Wholesalers do this every day. Except fri and sat.

WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic