Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ALGAE OUTBREAK HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 4:46pm
don't add any supplement that you do not test for.
fishman90G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 7:01pm
now thats good advice. literally..... with my 40g i had a couple years ago i was putting in buffer and calcium and iodine and never tested for any of them lol. i gues that explins why the only thing that grew was creepy's on the rock and a halimeda. oh yeah except the xenia that consumed my tank lol
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 8:32pm
Big%20smile, yes I too am also guilty at times of doing the same. I have learned that one the hard way.Ouch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 2:23pm
well i was out this weekend and when i came back this morning the glass was all green like really bad but all my corals and even the LTA looked excellent all of the polyps were open soaking in the MH i just turned my filters of and fed the corals marine snow
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 2:35pm
my tank gets green every 2 or 3 days just have to keep on top of it one of my chores that i dont like in this addition
out with the large and in with the nano

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 5:47pm
so im noticing it every couple hours now. KH at 15 dkh and calcium at 390. amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0 and ph at 8.2. i just did a 20 gal water change last night with instant ocean. as soon as im done with the bag im switching to reef crystals. im also runnin phosguard in a sac down in the sump my return pump is rated right at about 900gph im also runnin a koralia 3 i think it rated around 600gph. i just dont understand it. as far as food goes ive noticed that whatever the fish dont eat the hermits do so i know its not overfeeding or leftover decomp. i havent found the salifert phosphate test kit yet so i cant test for that. anything else i should be testing?
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 6:50pm
your testing sounds about right. even though the fish and hermits eat the food, the total food in the tank is what adds up, there are many that feed their tanks 3x a week, I feed my tank 1 cube/day, occasionally I will add some flake food or some pellets to spot feed.  The tank will have it's bacteria build up to handle the food, the thing to do is to feed about the same amount/week that will help the system maintain.

I use instant ocean, it has done fine by me, but I too have been considering changing brands, there is one that I have heard good things about on reefcentral, it's called oceanpure, it sounds good, any one heard of it?

as you go forward and things settle down, the only tests that will be really important will be calcium, alk, salinity, and for ph (later on) get a ph probe they are more accurate/consistant than a test kit.

for water changes I think that we aim for 10% per month?, I do a 20 gallon water change per month, sometimes all in one shot and sometimes at 5 gallons a week.

I have a 90 gallon tank, and about 40 gallons in my sump.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 7:29pm
i just dont get it i know its a patience thing as far as the algae goes but dang dude i have cleaned the glass 2 times today already and it seems to be getting worse on a daily basis. its weird on the back of the tank about 6-8" from the top down is bleached white(the algae that is). there is a very definitive line that seperates the 2 (bleached and lush green) is there anything that could help get rid of some of the algae that is now starting to gather on the rocks and my hermit crabs shells.
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 7:37pm
part is a new tank start up, the algae is able to get at the leftover nutrients because there is not enough beneficial bacteria available, have you seeded your tank with some live water from a different running tank, I don't remember.  I could give you a 5 gallon bucket of water from my tank, my orp is currently at 375, that would give your tank a shot of "live" water. also when you do a water change you are taking some of the "live" water out for "dead" or new water, the tank will readjust after each water change.

Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 7:46pm
I.D. The algea, Is it hair like? Is it feather like? Where you say its bleaching or a definite line, Is this due to your new lights?
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 7:51pm
when i bought the tank it was originally a 75g w/corner overflow and approx. 60lbs. live sand and 20lbs. live rock in the sump with macro. when i moved it i didnt seed it with live water cause i figured the sand and rock had enough bacteria still on it.  it definetly makes a lot of sense though and would greatly appreciate a seed like that. when would you be available? its not completely urgent so whenever its convient for you i am in salem up at the relief mine
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 8:09pm
I am home most evenings, so just give me a call, my phone # 420-0505

also bring me a dixie size cup of sand and I'll send a cup of sand from my tank back, that will also be a good seed for your tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 9:13pm
sounds good ill call you tomorrow around 5 or 6 to make sure its still ok. if you want i can bring you some ro water to replace the LW you are so graciously willing to give me. thank you and if tomorrow is ok then ill see you tomorrow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 4:48pm

UPDATE: my tank is still haingin in there i recharged my LW with 5 gallons(thanks bbeck) and i so far so good, i still have the green glass it urks me so i usually clean 2 times a day t stir it up and send it to the reef sock.  i have'nt fed my coral in about 4 days i watched bbeck feed his corals an with all he has in his tank he fed them about 1/4 of what i feed my little frags. so im stopping that ritual. i just dont know when i should start back up. i dont want to starve them. also, im feeding cubes to my 2 clowns which are less than 1" should i feed half a cube? and im feeding my dragon goby seaweed on a rock, ive been cutting 1/3 of a sheet but i cant tell if he is eating as soon as any food hits the sandbed the crabs(30-40) start attacking it. any info on these issues?

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 5:22pm
1/2 cube even sounds like a lot for 2 small clowns. Try putting the seaweed on a clip so the crabs can't get to it. I used to feed 1/3 sheet daily for 4 tangs, a coral beauty and a large blenny.

Mike

Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 8:30pm
I'm not sure how many frags you have, but to be honest I rarely feed my corals. If you just have small frags you may not really even need to feed them. That might help cut down your algae problem. There are certain corals such as sun polyps that have to be fed. What kind do you have? I also agree with Mike - 1/2 cube per day sounds like too much for two clowns. Hopefully cutting back on the feeding will help things out. Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 9:27pm
im gonna have to try to post some pics cause i am not entirely sure what they are i know i have regular xenia and a cabbage coral and 2 mushrooms on a rock one is a green striped i guess and the other is a brown kinda bumpy maybe. i also have a frag rock of starburst polyps. i will do some research right now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 9:27pm
im gonna have to try to post some pics cause i am not entirely sure what they are i know i have regular xenia and a cabbage coral and 2 mushrooms on a rock one is a green striped i guess and the other is a brown kinda bumpy maybe. i also have a frag rock of starburst polyps. i will do some research right now. oh yeah and i have a BTA about 9" diameter or so and a 3-4" diameter LTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 9:42pm
ok i checked it out and i have 2 colonies on one rock they are green and orange zoa's, and the other rock has i cant tell if they are regular golden zoa'z or yellow center zoa's. can water movement have anything to do with it? i am running 3 pumps, 1st is the return pump a rio 20hf rated at 980 or around there at 4ft up. 2nd is a koralia 3 rated at 800 something and then i just bought a maxi jet 1200. arrangement is 2 return spouts one left and one right slightly pointed down to get mid water movement and not cause sand storms. the maxi jet is on the right side wall back and top corner pointing ore down to get movement behind the rock and the koralia3 is on the left side back wall about 4"down pointing to mid level and hitting the front glass almost center. the leftside return hits the leftside front corner of the tank about mid level. i have nothing to get the lower level water except the interaction and turbulence caused by all the outlets hitting each other
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

1/2 cube even sounds like a lot for 2 small clowns. Try putting the seaweed on a clip so the crabs can't get to it. I used to feed 1/3 sheet daily for 4 tangs, a coral beauty and a large blenny.

Mike

I would have to agree with Mike that you are over feeding your tank, and thus putting in too many nutrients.....this is the cause of the algea blum.......

I have over 70 different corals{counting different colors of some of the same species of Zoa's}, and 12 fish including 3 tangs....I feed the fish pellets and nori{maybe 2 square inches}, on Monday and Thursday. and the rest of the tank gets Cyclopeez on Wed. and Saturday....Granted this schedule is not in stone, because some weeks I only feed once......some weeks only twice......

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic