Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adam's Nano Challenge 2
    Posted: February 13 2008 at 12:55pm
Well this may not have the surprise factor, and the cat may be out of the bag, but lets try...

What do you think would be the coolest idea for a nano tank.  Points awarded for livestock, creativity, design, all that.

Basically the same rules as before,  don't give me anything boring or common.

Adam
ps- you may repeat your entries from before just to be safe, but I do have them all on record to carry over
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:12pm
Is there a limit to how many ideas we can post!?

How about a dirty water nano with some flame scallops and other diry water filter feeders.
Pleasant Grove
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:24pm
Here are my first couple of votes:

#1 I'd like to start a nano with as many yellow clown gobys as I can find (like 10 or 20), so pretty much a couple of acros and then a ton of yellow gobys

#2 same concept as above but with a bunch of chocolate chip stars, and a variety of corals (I've never had one eat a coral before so I'd like to find out how or how not reef safe they really are)

#3 Dwarf seahorse tank, I'd put like 20 of them in a nano and watch them grow and breed.  Along with this, I would like to try to hatch "sea monkies" in the tank and see if I could get live food to constantly hatch in the tank.

#4 no rocks, no corals, just a bunch of upside down jellyfish

Edited by superman1981 - February 13 2008 at 1:27pm
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:27pm
How about a nano with a single fish = Rhinopias. Tongue

Now that would be cool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:29pm
How about a small octopus in a 24 or 29 gal nano cube?  That would be way cool... I read online that 29 gal is a good size for small octopus... I just really want one thats all Big%20smile

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:34pm
maybe an all GSP tank with... hmmm let me think of what fish or inverts to put in an all GSP tank...

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:35pm

I think a tide pool nano would be awsome.  Have it filled around3/4th so 1/2 full and make a little barrier so that youu can have a pint size beach in it and have a few thing that you find in the tide pools.  Like crabs that you find on the beach, sand crabs,  and some really little fish that you would find.  Not sure what fish though.  But with this have a little wave maker that pops on and off all day and night to simulate some waves so the sand crabs could feed like they were in the wild. I think this would be cool.  with a 70 watt halide or something. 

Or with the same Idea doing a mangrove tank with all kinds of mangrove dwelling critters.

Edited by dustponds10 - February 13 2008 at 1:58pm
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:43pm
Cordless nano.  I'd mount it to the wall so it looked like it was just stuck there, or slightly recessed and run all the cords down through the wall.  Maybe even cut out a space somewhere below it to store supplies and put a door right on the wall!
Pleasant Grove

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:45pm

Hanging nano.  You could hang a nano from the ceiling and run all the cords through the conduit it is hanging from.  Anything would look sweet in it, but maybe you could put in a bed of green and colorful zoas so it looked like a hanging flower basket.

Pleasant Grove
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:46pm

I would really love to have a row of Nanos like start with Hawaii Species Specific Nano. next to that a Marshall Islands species specific Nano. Next a solomon Islands Species Specific Nano. Next a Fiji Species Specific Nano. Next a Great Barrier Reef Nano... ETC

I need to do more research but I think it would be cool to put them in the order of Discovery with a plack that has info about each Island.

exspecially like the travels of Captain Cook he was my great great great....grandpa

bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:48pm
Mated pair of Leafy Sea Dragons with the algea and sea weed that they hide in if one would fit in a nano - if not than Nano sizes need to include what ever size would hold one
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:50pm
Lighting Ideas...
Etch A Frag
An sps nano with a rotational / adjustable MH lighting system. 
The tank would be a glass box (like the one at Fish-4-U).  The lights would be on a mount or track that go all over the tank.  Any angle.  The goal/point would be to "sculp" the sps as they grow.  The owner could create spirals or zigzags out of the growing pieces.  The lights would be moved either slowly or quickly to make the frags grow that direction.  The different growth speeds of the types of corals would be the challenge.

Full lighting
As many sps keepers know they look best from above as that's where the lights are.  What if there was a tank with a lighting system that rotated around the tank so the corals looked best from all angles.  For instance the lights would rotate around the tank for a couple hours during the day and move to the standard above view when the owner got home. 
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:55pm
New idea, I call it the birth of television tank... We decorate the outside of the nano to look like a 1940's TV, rabbit ears on top and all.  We paint the back and sides black so that only the front (tube) is exposed.  Then use white substrate, the blackest rock available, corals that are black, gray, or white, or maybe SPS skeletons and black and white clowns Big%20smile

Coral ideas:
silvertip xenia
black sun corals
a gray colored condy
gray colored mushrooms..

Oh yeah for snails, those ones with the black and white striped shells Big%20smile

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:57pm
360 centerpiece nano.  Have a bottom drilled nano with the electrical, drain and returns all in nested pipe.  They wires, return and drain would all run through fake rock so you wouldn't really see anything.  The nested pipe would be the only connection you would see to the tank would be the pipe that is holding it up in the middle of the room.
Pleasant Grove
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:59pm
cold water anemone.

cold water filter feeders and grow phytoplankton to feed them.

Mangrove Biotope.

Jellyfish.

cold water bivalves

Black mangrove biotope

Beach. Very shallow or no surface water. have sand-dwelling animals (ie, like the crabs that dig holes on Hawaiian beaches).

Floating coconut.

Oil spill. Set up a reef tank, then dump in oil.

Global warming. Keep the tank warmer than usual.

Phytoplankton, just green water

Edited by Adam Haycock - February 13 2008 at 2:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Adam Haycock Adam Haycock wrote:

Oil spill. Set up a reef tank, then dump in oil.
LOL
Pleasant Grove
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:03pm
a perfect circle of glass with Zero edge water over flowing on all the sides down to a refugium. something like 24" or 30" in diameter. a metal halide pendant also round that hangs from the ceiling. have the glass made with no seams. then when you put live stock in it they wouldn't feel trapped they could just swim in circles.

makes me think this would be perfect for a dog faced puffer it could chase it's tail.LOL

Edited by bannshy - February 13 2008 at 2:06pm
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:04pm
one filled with the Fresh water Jelly Fish from Palua.
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:04pm
marine iguana
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:09pm
one large red carpet anenome and a school of black and white clowns

Stichodactyla%20haddoni
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic