Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
lwallentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lwallentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:12pm
My duaghter really wants a seahorse tank, or a moon jelly tank would be cool
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:13pm
An "low reef impact" tank.  Nothing in the tank taken directly from a reef.  Utah rock and sand.  Frags from someone else's tank and tank raised fish.
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

An "low reef impact" tank.  Nothing in the tank taken directly from a reef.  Utah rock and sand.  Frags from someone else's tank and tank raised fish.

I counter with a high impact tank...
Only stuff that the person has gone out and literally hand picked.  Buckets of sand, water, fish, corals, everything.  It would take several trips, but the end result would be pretty neat.  Not to mention add a real feel of personalization.  You could look at the tank and say "I caught you" Wink
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
soundsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:38pm
THE NANO "Tank of Death"  or "Anaphylactic Nightmare"

Either a salt water tank full of Urchins and a couple mated pairs of fang blennies.
a single dwarf lionfish. or squirrelfish's
or even possibly a box jellyfish.

Or go freshwater with Your very own Electric eel or Electric Knifefish.

ps....included with the tank is an Epinipherine pen to self administer in case you ever decide to add frags of some very dangerous zoo/paly at the bottom without gloves on

pps....I am editing this now that I see JonaJfriend beat me to it.

Edited by soundsurfer - February 13 2008 at 9:41pm
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:40pm
iPods. Lots of pods. No fish, no coral, just a breeding ground for pods.

Micro tank. Just salt water and sand for microscopic stuff. But have a dropper and a microscope next to the tank to view the inhabitants.

clones. Clone your fish to limit impact on ocean.

Great Salt Lake. Add sand and water from the great salt lake. Collect any life you find in the water there.

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:42pm
Cone snails... collect your own with no gloves or shoes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:58pm
One day I'm going to make one of these with saltwater.  Maybe combine the open bottom and fish highway.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:00pm

Ok, so a lot of people have a tank in every room so how about bringing a room into the tank?  A bathroom tank...  It would be bare bottom with little limestone or travertine tiles set as a "floor",  gsp as a "rug", a return pipe coming out of one of the sides as a "showerhead",  a little ceramic tub, toilet and sink.  In the tub I would put a "bubble coral" I would put a sea cucumber (the terd) and a cleaner shrimp in the tank,  candy canes could serve as the "lights" in the bathroom,  a branching rock with a sheet of nori would be the "shower curtain" I would add a yellow tang ( to eat the nori and because it is yellow and could be my "rubber ducky")

Debbie
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:03pm
Eva your post reminded me of this: http://fishighway.com/ Way too cool! 
Pleasant Grove
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:15pm
"Garden of Eels"
An awesome tank would be a island tank. Set up in a island theme. Bamboo stand and frame. Maybe set up in conjunction with some tropical plants on either side. The hood could be made to look like the top of a grass hut.
In side the tank would be a deep sand bed. 6-8" deep with several Congrids. (Heterocongerhalis- Garden eels) I saw a display of these in Pittsburgh and was totally enamored by them.

Edited by Holdencraft 33 - February 13 2008 at 10:10pm
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:41pm
I want one of these too. 
Not sure what I'd put in it as it's 4.5" front to back and only 6.6 gallons.  As Alex said "really skinny fish".  LOL

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 7:32pm

I would like a nano that has the front half exposed sand and the back half raised off the sand about 3" rock that is covered with every color of Ricordia Florida so the rock can not be seen and have the ricordia climbing the back of the tank as well the return to the tank come from under the rock in the sand have sea grasses on the sides with a few mated pairs of Seahorses.

EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:29pm
I don't know if this was mentioned, or something similar....I didn't take the time to read all the posts...but

I would love to do a night time/never day time tank.....only run moon lights or small actinics on the tank.....find some bright colored corals that will survive with the bare minimun light because the day lights will never be turned on........try to grow gsp in the tank.....because I have three different colors in my tank now, and they look great under the actinics.......then also put in a few different colors of coraline algae, I have some bright pink that also glows under the actinics.......basicaly run the tank only using the blue light spectrum.......I would put in bright white sugar sand, mixed with argonite mud......and also add a few very bright zoanthids......eventually after killing a few frags, I would find the corals that do survive under the LACK of light, and just continue to grow them......Again this would have to go into a room that gets little light from other sources, but my cold storage room would be perfect.....I already have the moon lights, and the coral, now it is only a matter of finding a few fish that could survive, as well as look cool under the lighting.... a yellow tang would look cool, as well as a few bright damsels......if they are the only thing in the tank.....

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:33pm
Eva... the Ogcocephalidaes are AWESOME!  It's like a mix between a sting ray and a frog fish, and maybe a goby!  Where do you find all these awesome fish!?
Pleasant Grove
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:47pm
Ok, so I wasn't too late, I was too early!

I was reading up on pistol shrimp (as I have been trying to find my RandalliConfused, any help here would be appreciated).  Anyway, I found an article that stated pistol shrimp will take out a Mantis.

So, my nano idea (which I may try btw) is a "David and Goliath" pistol vs mantis shrimp.  Or you could call it the "Poseidon's amphitheater", "Neptune's ampitheater", or the "Colosseum" nano.

I also like the Berghia and aiptasia tank but take it one step farther and have an aiptasia refugium to raise food for the Berghia.  And, offer a live rock cleaning service to all the club!

Edited by jpndave - February 13 2008 at 9:08pm
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:56pm
I have wanted to this for some time. I got the idea when I saw Mark Petersons suspended reef.

You would have a cube style tank with rock work in the center. The rock work would be suspended from the canoy so there would be nothing touching the sand at all.
The cool part would be that it would rotate. It would be driven by a small motor and slowly rotate so that you could view the rock mass from all sides.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:57pm
How about a nano "Ant Farm".   One way glass tank that is thin enough that the burrowing critters have to burrow next to it.  A pistol pair, jawfish, or other burrowing critters.  Could make for some interesting viewing.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:05pm
Great idea Bruce!

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:14pm

The River Stream Nano:

this doesnt allow pictures???

[image]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/2264333484_95fa27af96_o.jpg[image/]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:16pm
Da**it all that hard work into making a picture. can someone post my picture for me?? I was going to tell what the numbers are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic