Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:10pm
Not really great for a "nano" but I've wanted a polka-dot batfish.  They are so crazy.
Maybe some other Ogcocephalidae in a brightly colored tank.  Kinda a beauty and the beast nano.
For those that don't know just how crazy some of these look...

Edited by CrimsRayne - February 13 2008 at 2:23pm
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:11pm
Now this is more like it.  I log back on and 15 replies in an hour.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jdmckell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmckell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:11pm
Nevada Desert... UFO sighting.  Area 51

How about a Nano with ACROS all across the bottom placed in the sand to look like a desert of Acro cactai.  A small amount of live rock in the back ground to be the mtns...  and some Jeli Fish to be the UFO's.  Wink 
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:19pm
Poison tank.  Sea Wasps, Zoanthids, an anemone and a lionfish.  If it wouldn't eat or be killed by the wasps that is..
Pleasant Grove
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:21pm
Psychedelic 60's... so the back of the tank is going to be painted to look like the tie-dye shirt Robert Plant wore at Madison Square Gardens...

All corals must show movement, say xenia, frogspawn, star polyps, and so on.  As for fish, a mandrin for sure, then maybe purple fire fish, a blue yellow damsel, a flame angel, crazy colored wrass... the possibilities are limitless.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:22pm
You could house a nano tank with an electric eel in it. Then for effects you could put lighting over it and have it flicker on and off. Or somehow rig something up so you have electricity arcing over the tank to give it that shocking appeal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:25pm
I'm sad that the 360 nano with the overflow and all up the center and the cylinder nano have both already been mentioned, those were going to be my next two ideas Cry  I"ve gotta keep thinking...

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:28pm
A fresh water salt water tank. Acclimate a few different salt water (not mollys) fish to live in salt water. Gold fish and coral -- wouldn't that be a sight to see.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:29pm
I've got it, the Chea-tank!  We get one of those chea-pets, preferably the creepiest one available, and then let different shades of GSP grow all over it!  (I really like GSP)

and then to continue with the idea of wierd products that you see advertised tons around Christmas time, instead of putting the lights on a light timer, they'll simply be put on a clapper, so I can clap on and clap off the lights every morning and night Big%20smile

I think I'd put a small snowflake eel in the tank, so that he could swim in and out of the eyes in the chea-pet!

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:32pm
I've got it! I've got it!

The lava lamp nano, have the tank shaped like a lava lamp, have a bunch of different colored lights, say LED's that rotate through the colors.  Then fill it with upside down jellies!

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:33pm
I need to stop posting, or I'm going to annoy people...

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:33pm
Leaky tank.

Take a nano tank and purposefully crack the front glass. Then silicone half way up the crack and then let the upper half of the crack leak. Set up a system so that the water flowing out of the crack drips into a refugium (It needs to drip so you can see it leaking) and then a pump to continuously refill the tank.

Salt Creep tank.
Some how set up a tank system that is designed to help salt creep to form. Think of the possilities -- saltcicles, ribbons of brown salt snaking down the tank.
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:38pm
This one may already be covered but A Camo tank -- It could be simply an octopus, or cuttle fish, or maybe some tan substrate with some flounders.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:44pm
Goth Nano
Black sand, dark live rock, combo of black lights and actinic or 50/50 pc lighting.
Decorate with black sun corals, zoos and lps that are dark and some that glow under black lights.
Stock with black sailfin blenny, neon goby, small marine betta, small black or goldrim tang and black urchin.

"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:01pm
This might be too simple. I would take a 29-45 gallon tank and drop in a divider about 1/3 from one side. The display would be the smaller part with a big fuge being the 2/3 part. In the fuge put a DSB with fresh live sand to seed it. Thin sand in the display part with some fresh LR. Chaeto in the fuge. Grow light over the fuge. A light with more blue over the display.
I was going to say see what grows but I was too slow and it's been done so:
Option 1- a mated pair of neon gobies and some cleaner shrimp. It will be a cleaner spawning nano.
Option 2- nothing but one mandarin dragonet and zoas.
Option 3- all of the above.
stephan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:47pm
How about a symbiont tank. Everything in there would have to have a relationship with at least one other organism in the tank. I think that would be so cool. Like a shrimp and goby sharing a burrow, of course anemones and clowns, pocillopora and the little commensal crabs that live on them, etc. There are lots of others I'm sure. maybe just one, maybe as symbionts as you can fit in one aquarium. That would be fun.
Stephan Lovstedt
Camarillo, CA
65 Gallon Glass
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:51pm
Marble's  for the substrate, Perlyjaw fish, Sand sifting gobies,sand sifting star... Got a visual?LOL
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:55pm
Put mirrors on 3 sides and put in a couple flasher wrasse
Pleasant Grove

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:59pm
Xenia disposal: Instead of flushing your xenia you could have a bunch of Phyllodesmium hyalinum - xenia eating nudibranchs
Pleasant Grove

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Jeff Morrill Jeff Morrill wrote:

Marble's  for the substrate, Perlyjaw fish, Sand sifting gobies,sand sifting star... Got a visual?LOL
Cry  That's terrible.
I think it would be more fun to have a sand shoving contest.  Get a jawfish, engineer goby, sleeper goby, sand stifting star, and horseshoe crab.  Let them setup homes under a few pieces of rock and go at it.  No corals as they would probably get burried.  Just sand mayhem.

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic