Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ozone setup advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jacobse1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobse1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ozone setup advice
    Posted: January 21 2008 at 8:45pm
I just ordered a Red Sea Ozonizer ( the 100/hr unit).  My setup is as follows:

125g and 30g display tanks
    -empty to
20 gallon sump with ASM G3 skimmer
    - empty to
125 gallon refugium
    - returns to displays

I was planning on just putting a T on the ASM air intake tube and letting that draw in the ozone (no feeder pump). I would then put carbon in the next section of the sump.  Control is by Aqacontroller 3, ORP probe currently in sump. My ORP is pretty low, with peak nightime reading only hitting 210! I was going to set my ORP off limit at 300.  I think that  running the ORP into the ASM in the sump should leave no chance of releasing stray ozone into the displays.  Should I put the probe in the display or is it OK in the sump? I think my ozonizer might be a little undersized, so I may never actually reach my 300 turn off limit so probe placement may be irrelevant.  Any suggestions?
125 g reef
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 8:57pm
You usually need 10mg/20g of water; so it is just a little bit undersized.  However, if you run it without an air dryer, the output generally is decreased by half.  You can run the ORP up to 450 without any harm to corals (up to 500 really, but that is flirting with danger).

I would always run ozone with a probe; just for my peace of mind.

You denifitely should run ozone in your sump, so that by the time the water returns to the main tank, all ozones would be disintegrated.  I run mine into the ASM skimmer as well.  The T on the air intake is a great idea.  However, without an air pump, your skimmer pump might not create enough venturi to pull enough air through the ozonizer, decreasing its efficiency.

I think the ORP in the main tank is a more accurate reading than that in the sump.
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
jacobse1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobse1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 10:45pm
I'll be using an air dryer. I'll also check to see if there's a noticeable difference in ORP readings btw. the display and sump. What kind of pump do you use to push air into skimmer?
thanks for the advice
125 g reef
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 10:48pm
I just looked: an Elite 801 (I bought it from Petsmart).
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 10:57pm
Can you just use the air inlet to a skimmer or will that not work?
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 11:11pm
You can; but what I find out in my old setup is that wasn't enough air for my skimmer to skim effectively.  A T will help deliver the ozone, but also another air inlet for the pump to pull in more air.
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by dkle dkle wrote:

You can; but what I find out in my old setup is that wasn't enough air for my skimmer to skim effectively.  A T will help deliver the ozone, but also another air inlet for the pump to pull in more air.

I wondered about that.  I have been scouring the ozone machine specs for the airflow #s.  That make sense.  I hope to have 18 scfh of air through the skimmer and I don't think any of them will handle that. 

jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 11:18pm
Do you need a valve also or just let the skimmer draw what in needs through a Y or T?  Will that allow enough through the ozone machine?
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 11:30pm
I would just let the skimmer draw what it needs through the T/Y.  I realized that it sounds contradictory between "without an air pump, the skimmer might not pull enough air through the ozonizer for it to create enough enough" and "using the air inlet for ozone, even with an air pump, might not be enough air for the skimmer".  I think the problem is when you use the skimmer air inlet for ozone only, the skimmer pump has to pull air through a long tubing (connecting the skimmer to the ozonier).  That long narrow tubing has a tremendous amount of resistance, making it hard for the skimmer pump to pull air.  
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 9:10am
That makes sense.  I just worry that the ozone machine may not get enough flow if the skimmer can pull form the open t/y.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 11:54am
In my experience, a GSM skimmer typically pulls plenty of air through the Red Sea Ozone generator without the need for a T or an air pump. To start with, set the Ozone dial at 10-20% of full throttle and suck up some of the output into your mouth (not your lungsOuch). You should be able to taste the Ozone. Then watch the condition of corals for a day. 

With an ORP reader and controller, which from my experience is nice but not at all necessary, if you simply manually set the Ozone at a low level and do the tasting thing as I have described, it will do it's job just fineThumbs%20Up.

As an Ozone unit ages, the coronal chamber loses efficiency, so it is necessary to increase the dial setting to deliver the effective amount of O3.

If you run tubing from the Ozone inlet to a location outside the tank stand where the air is dryer (air in Utah is very dry, especially in a centrally heated house),  the unit will last a long time. It's a good idea to place a large ball of floss filter material around the tube inlet to reduce dust and keep the unit from clogging. The larger the tube and shorter the distance to the dry air the easier it will be for the skimmer's suction power to draw air.

Oh and one more thing. Included in the regular Skimmer cup cleaning/maintenance should be the cleaning of the venturi by reaming it out with a grabber screw. This removes the buildup of residue that naturally occurs at that restricted air water interface point.

My 2 cents Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 23 2008 at 12:07pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic