Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:22pm
I want to know what we win if you pick our idea!

Here are mine:

-(as per your request) "sculpt" a mermaid using strategically placed corals. ie anemone for hair, zoa's for scales, etc.
-Same as above but make a sea monster.
-or Titanic
-Put whatever you want in the nano and hang it from the ceiling in a fishing net.
-Construct a body and use the nano as the head and fill as you please.
-Mandarin Goby, Serpent stars, purple mushrooms, and frog spawn (don't look at if you feel nauseous)
-fill it full of rock and see what grows.
-Bristle worm paradise.
-Place it neatly in a larger tank and allow it to become part of the reef.
-Place it in a barred box and fill with 4 stripe damsels.
-Find a large taxidermy shark and display it in its mouth, then it won't matter what you put in it.
-A shell phone.
-Put a warning sign on the tank and place a can of tuna inside.
-sand dollars...then it will always look empty.
or
-Decide that you don't really like any ideas posted and just give the nano to me.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:28pm
Camille-
I'm stunned!  Honestly I don't even know where to begin.  Those suggestions are fabulous.  Notice we have 200 people in this club, yet only a couple could come close to your imaginative ideas.

I'm truly thankful for all that you posted.
Adam

edit- notice how everyone described ideas for inside the tank... you are truly rare for describing outside the tank

Edited by Adam Blundell - January 29 2008 at 12:30pm
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:37pm
What do I win?

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:42pm
Is love and appreciation enough?  That is what my parents always told us we'd win.LOL
Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:48pm
I teach middle school and I have learned that normally that doesn't cut it, but for you okay.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 2:33pm
you are truly rare for describing outside the tank

Tanks have an outside? Dang. I knew I missed something ....
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 2:54pm
Speaking of outside... Maybe we should start with a cast of Adams head, then pour molten glass into the cast.  This should give us a nice, oh 5 gallon tank to start with Big%20smile  Obviously we'll use hair algae for hair... maybe some blue shrooms in the eyes...  and then put in a single frogfish... Yes that would be an interesting nano...
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 3:33pm

Create a room in your house with no windows or lights, or just paint the room black, get your nano, and put any of these bioluminescent creatures in it!

28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 3:38pm
ok so make sure they're bio-luminescent SEA creatures. LOL
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 4:32pm
For a small tank...my 10g...
Sand bed with a fair amount of live rock.

Then stuff it full of feather dusters of different sorts and colors.  Some pink, red, green, blue, orange...some underneath that like shade (Christmas Tree worms), some out in the open sand bed, some in between the rocks.  Just everywhere.

Then with a bit of water turbulance, the tank will be full of motion.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 4:55pm
Also...
1.  A tank with some live rock (with a cave you can see into) nd keep a pair of mated Reef Lobsters.

2.  a little bit of live rock and a bunch of Pom Pom Crabs.  Can you keep several/many together?

3. abalones and oysters.

4.  several rocks covered in glove polyps or other fast growing encrusting polyps tht will take over everything.  Then put lots of serpent star in there.

5.   a planted tank with lots of types of algae and a little bit of rock.  Then put in a bunch of pipefish.  Some pipefish (Corythoichthys haematopterus) will even eat the dreaded "red bug" that pester corals.

6.  have a planted tank, then acclimate fish that normally you only see in the freshwater world...Mollies (black, dalmation, lyretail, etc), Columbian Shark (Arius jordani), gobies, scats, and/or puffers.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
soundsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 5:20pm
THERMAL VENT 30 gallon nano

I liked the idea of a the night tank..... run a tank in your freezer with lights out......place a few metal piping  that shoots out  boiling water and run the water back trough an extremely long metal piping to recool it.  Have some microorganisms and deep water shrimp and maybe a deep water dwarf angler (i just made this fish up, but if youve followed me this far in my post on my deep thermal vented nano tank. Then im sure you can get over this small thing)  You can only check it out every once in awhile with night vision glasses or with a blue moon LEDS.

Edited by soundsurfer - January 29 2008 at 6:35pm
soundsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 5:21pm
Oh yeah, i forgot to add it probably is going to be extremely pressurized to imitate their natural environment. So there are only to small peep holes with extremely thick glass where you can look in.
siren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 6:24pm
12gal JBJ nano-cube2 inches sand, shaving brush algae, upside down jellies....'nuff said
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by mermaidcamille mermaidcamille wrote:

I want to know what we win if you pick our idea!

Here are mine:

-(as per your request) "sculpt" a mermaid using strategically placed corals. ie anemone for hair, zoa's for scales, etc.
-Same as above but make a sea monster.
-or Titanic
-Put whatever you want in the nano and hang it from the ceiling in a fishing net.
-Construct a body and use the nano as the head and fill as you please.
-Mandarin Goby, Serpent stars, purple mushrooms, and frog spawn (don't look at if you feel nauseous)
-fill it full of rock and see what grows.
-Bristle worm paradise.
-Place it neatly in a larger tank and allow it to become part of the reef.
-Place it in a barred box and fill with 4 stripe damsels.
-Find a large taxidermy shark and display it in its mouth, then it won't matter what you put in it.
-A shell phone.
-Put a warning sign on the tank and place a can of tuna inside.
-sand dollars...then it will always look empty.
or
-Decide that you don't really like any ideas posted and just give the nano to me.

Great idea Camille!Clap

Mike

Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 6:59pm
Okay Adam, last one.
 - How about a 12 gallon with one large killer Acro and about 12 Clown Gobies of varying colors.

- Garden eel display would be cool too.

- I would pretty much switch religions and worship you if you could round up a 24 gallon nano with an Olive sea snake in it.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 7:09pm
So I lied.
Here's one more that I thought up when i was like 15 years old.

Modify one of those antique bubble gum machines to hold like a 5 gallon nano. When you put in a penny and turn the knob, it dispenses flake food into the tank. Put whatever you want in it, I just think it would be really cool.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Jamison Jamison wrote:

- I would pretty much switch religions and worship you if you could round up a 24 gallon nano with an Olive sea snake in it.

Don't you already do this?

Mike

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:19am
Closed!

Thanks to everyone who participated in Adam's Nano Challenge. 
I have submitted all the entries.  There will be a follow up post on Monday (probably from me) with an update on the challenge.  Thanks again to everyone.
Adam

ps- in case you want to know I have turned in my ballot and here is how I voted as the best entries....

5- Kevin/Cody- Camoflauge Aquarium
4- Shane Heil- Top View Seagrass Aquarium
3- Camille Grimshaw- Mermaid Body Aquarium
2- Jamison Hensley- Great Barrier Reef of Death
1- Susan Matney- Punch Fountain Aquarium

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:20am
oh- and the Thermal Vent Tank and the Poisonous Sea Snake tank would have easily taken my top vote if I thought I could get the equipment and animals to do it.  Two truly great ideas!

Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic