Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 9:52pm
ok a six gallon nano with a giant pacific octo in it.....most nanos have lids, so once you get the octo into the tank, you wont have to worry about it getting out......I think someone on the board has some octo eggs they would be willing to sell you to get you started.....

Edited by EagleEyez5 - January 09 2008 at 9:53pm

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
The Aquarium View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Aquarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 9:59pm

They are all for sale

They do get large so the nano is only a temporary set up for them 

The leaf fish gets 4 inches

And the angler can grow up to 12 inches but I have never seen one bigger then 6

leaf fish          50.00
black angler    89.99
white angler    179.99

Edited by The Aquarium - January 09 2008 at 10:01pm
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 10:00pm
What do you feed them then, live shrimps and guppies?
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
Cody Pearce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 10:07pm
What size tank would you recommend when they get to full size?
90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
kasiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 12:18am

My dream Nano would be one filled with liberal amounts of everclear, triple sec, vodka and rum.  Add in fruit punch.  Plug in powerhead to mix and then add fruit.  Best part, no cycle.  If you want livestock just invite a few friends over, I guarantee they will be swimming in it or at least trying to.  Wacko

Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 5:19am
hahah thats awsome jungle juice FTW
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 8:50am
man adam your like a celebrity!
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 8:58am
Sorry Crystal I couldn't quite hear that.  What did you say?
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 3:14pm
Hey, let's use my punch bowl nano for the everclear, triple sec, vodka and rum.  It will be almost like a champage fountain (only better).Clown
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 3:47pm
Adam,

What about a top-view seagrass tank? That would be cool.
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 4:24pm
Well for my current nano, I have a 6 gallon nano cube.  The substrate is Caribbean sugar sand, really white and really small, I love it!  Then I have oh... like a 10lbs chunk of live rock, covered in GSP and surrounded by some type of leafy macro algae.  The plan is to fill it with chocolate chip stars and see if the can eat the GSP faster than it can grow Big%20smile  I currently have one, but am planning on adding a few more small ones... and I tossed in a blue damsel for good measure... Thats Tim's Nano! 
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Sorry Crystal I couldn't quite hear that.  What did you say?
Adam

If I would have known how much of a fish celebrity you were I would of had you sign my aquarium or something!
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
CowFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 7:05pm

A nano with the back wall covered in GSP, ONE rock in the very middle.. covered of course in GSP.. like a grassy knoll - and, you guessed it, a longhorn cowfish to "graze" his merry pasture : )

I've even whipped together a nice visual : ) Cheese-tastic! .. and small.

Edited by CowFish - January 16 2008 at 7:05pm
Clearfield, UT.
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 1:45am

Do a hypnosis tank Adam... Cover the back wall in Xenia add lots of star polyps lots of random flow then a fish that is constantly on the move like a pseudochromis or somthing.

I also saw this tank and nearly attempted to recreate it in coral

Paint your backround like the sky add a carpet of zoas or gsp then one big ole leather. Maybe a frogspawn or cheato bush and some grey acans for rocks.
Just random thouhts though.

-pinner

In SLC Near Downtown
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 3:05pm
I havent read through all three pages so I apologize if I copy someone elses idea.

Ideas:

A tank full of nothing but anemones - and a single anemonefish.

Palythoas-only tank. Paly's growing over everything. Sides/back/bottom.

Algae tank. Nah, never mind. Who would want an algae only tank?Wink

Mantis shrimp tank

Nano Jellyfish tank

Chromis only tank. Ever seen a tank at a pet store with thousands of goldfish? How about a nano with three hundred chromis. They would have no choice but to school.

My favorite:
Clam tank. 15-20 clams in a single nano.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 8:14pm
How about a flatworm tank. Maybe we could figure out for sure if they are detrimental or just unsightly.

Mike

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 9:18am
Last call- any final suggestions?
Adam
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 9:58am
6 gallon nano, as much aptasia as you can possibly find and like 50 peppermint shrimp.  Don't ever feed the shrimp, instead leave them to fend for themselves.  Then see who wins the battle, the aptasia or the shrimp.  I only say this because I don't believe peppermint shrimp actually eat aptasia...
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 10:03am
I only say this because I don't believe peppermint shrimp actually eat aptasia...
I can guarantee you that they do.  There are several published papers on this, and many many videos taken showing them clearly eating Aiptasia. 
Now how well they do this, or how hungry they would have to be... well that is tough to know.

Adam 
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 11:52am
I kind of like the idea of several small clams, bunched at the base of a small LR.  Don't know what else - but at least several shrimp and maybe a sea apple. Lots of amazing colors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic