Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Jamison Jamison wrote:

How about a "Great Barrier Reef Nano of Death". Contents...

1 Great white Shark
1 Box Jellyfish
1 Stone Fish
1 Blue Ring Octopus
1 Cone Snail
1 Russel Crowe

and 1 20 oz. can of Fosters as the centerpiece

You could have a picture of Steve Irwin or The Wiggles glued to the back of your tank.

Now that's EXTREME!!!! Russel Crowe??? that is just too funny!
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:28pm
I'd love to have a fairly large nano like a 24 with a peacock mantis in it.  Add like 20 snails, any type, and some crabs about once every 2 weeks.

I also think a nano with nothing but a large Anemone, big enough to fill the tank, and a couple Percs would be cool.  Or same Anemone and a dozen Anemone crabs.

Another idea would be 1 Acro that would fill most of the tank.  Pick one that sort of looks like a tree, then aquascape around it so it looked like a tree growing in a meadow or on a hillside.  Maybe put a path of different colored substrate down the center with a larger spot under the acro and a small "bench" of rock for the passerby to sit on and have a rest.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:34pm
Now we're getting somewhere people!
Thanks
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:48pm
a small goby, a shrimp, some zoanthids!

Just kidding.

*How about an urchin tank.  I love mine.
*Frogfish tank.  Awesome.
*Jellies
*Seagrasses with shrimp?
*tide pool?  (ie. fill half way)
*Yellowheaded jawfish tank (I had one of these once).

Edited by Jake Pehrson - January 08 2008 at 3:05pm
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 1:05pm
Jake- that may be the best post you have made, of all your 2500+ posts.
Adam
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 2:52pm
Cold water tidepool. take a trip to Washington to get livestock.
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 3:11pm

I've got a 5 gallon tank with brackish goldfish and green spotted puffers.  LOL

"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 3:30pm
If I had the time and $ I'd do an upside down reef 24-30 gallons.
Mod the lights so they fit under the tank and shine upward.  Make the bottom coverd with one way tint so you aren't blinded by them.
create a suspended fixture that allows the rocks to hang in the tank.  Glue all the frags upside down so they have to grow down towards the light.  For livestock a small upside down jellyfish, a cleaner or fire shrimp (since the hang out upside down anyway), and a goby or jawfish (just to trip them out that there isn't any sand).
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by dkle dkle wrote:

Originally posted by Jamison Jamison wrote:

How about a "Great Barrier Reef Nano of Death". Contents...

1 Great white Shark
1 Box Jellyfish
1 Stone Fish
1 Blue Ring Octopus
1 Cone Snail
1 Russel Crowe

and 1 20 oz. can of Fosters as the centerpiece

You could have a picture of Steve Irwin or The Wiggles glued to the back of your tank.

Now that's EXTREME!!!! Russel Crowe??? that is just too funny!

The problem with Fosters is it doesn't stay in the can very long.Confused

Mike

smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 8:55pm
I want to do a punch bowl fountain fish tank.  I would drill a punch bowl, drill a hole and mount in ontop of a chocolate fountain.  The fountain would have to pump the back through to the top.  The fish would be in the bowl.

Put one of those new neat reflectors above it with a MH lamp and have whatever coral I wanted.  Great oxygenation.
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:35pm
The chocolate fountain sounds good.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:36pm
Okay, here's a thought. Make a tank that is designed to be looked at with NightSea glasses and special lighting.

Mike

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:41pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:53pm
Both good article but I had already read them both.Thumbs%20Up

I thought this would be a good idea for your new nano.

Mike

sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 1:14pm
10 gallon tank nano, aiptasia glued to used AA batteries, tank filled with transmission fluid.
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 1:24pm
A tank filled with those cool tulip anemones, some aptasia and then keep a raise and whole herd of bergia nudibranchs in the tank.

Or a tank with a multitude of red flatworms and a couple of those cool black/blue nudibranchs.

Oh wait maybe those type of tanks are all to common    -- But you might be one of the few that did it on purpose.

Edited by Kevin - January 09 2008 at 1:24pm
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 1:29pm
How about a tank with nothing but a thin layer of sand. Then add some of those flounders that look just like the sand. Call it a camo tank.

Or instead you could tell people that there is something in there (seahores, frogfish, octopus, chameleon, anything that is normally hard to see ) and then time how long they spend looking for it before they give up. That makes for an easy feeding schedule.

Edited by Kevin - January 09 2008 at 1:30pm
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 2:48pm
I'm liking these suggestions.
Adam
The Aquarium View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Aquarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 7:04pm

We set up an 8 gallon nano with 2 black anglers and one white angler it is by far the coolest aquarium we have in store and draws a lot of attention especially during feeding time.

Cody Pearce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 9:45pm

That tank is very cool.  I love the black frogfish.  Do you guys ever sell those or where do you get them?  Do they get very big?

90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic