Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adam's Nano Challenge
    Posted: January 07 2008 at 10:47pm
If you had a brand new nano tank, or were going to buy a brand new nano tank...
how would you set it up?

Rule 1- it can't be some type of standard mixed coral nano tank
Rule 2- don't say something like "a small goby, a shrimp, some zoanthids" that is way too common and not unique at all
Rule 3- you get points for creativity... both livestock and tank design

Ready.... set.... begin...
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:00pm
wellllllllllllllllll I have a 6 gallon nano that is awaiting me to actually have my own desk at work ( they are working on building new cubicles) it is kinda tall and has PC lighting. although if i wanted to i have a 150 halide that could go over it. MUAHAHAHAHA! This is really hard but... I think i would do a little sand bed, the neatest piece of rock i could find since it will probably only fit one,
and than!!!!

i dont know  =(

give me some ideas. I really havent decided yet
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:10pm
I would take a 24 gallon JBJ and put at least 100 W of PC, fill it with some cool rock and put in Bright green palys, 3 varieties of frogspawn, assorted mushrooms including richordias, and rodactis (sp?).  Oh yeah put in some sarco, a couple of fungias, some sinularia, kenya tree.  Wait that is my tank now, oh forgot the chalice, and some other thing that I have no idea what the heck it is but it looks cool and kind of like a cup coral but inside out.  Oh and a little bit of that cool Thor's Hammer.  Oh yeah a pair of Percs.

Edited by MrNewbie - January 07 2008 at 11:10pm
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:12pm
what is thors hammer?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:19pm
I think he's looking for unique...

I've always wanted to do this, but always backed out due to impatience.  And this might not be as suited to a nano as it would be to a little larger tank.  Anyway, I'd like to buy a box of live rock (as fresh as possible) and dump it into a tank.  Maintain water quality and even feed the tank a little, but don't add anything else to the tank.  Give it 3-4 years and see what grows.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:22pm
Well I have a 24gal nano that has only sun corals and bangaiis in it.  Sure there's live rock & a huge clump of cheato. . . but that's it.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:26pm
are you going to do a nano Adam ?
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:34pm
I love John's idea.  That could be cool to see.  Sorry I know mine is not what he is looking for.  Mine is just a holding tank until I get my 60 up, quite frankly there is just too much in it right now.  I would like to once it is empty to start over with just zoo's, nothing else, just a carpet of zoo's no rock showing.
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

I think he's looking for unique...

I've always wanted to do this, but always backed out due to impatience.  And this might not be as suited to a nano as it would be to a little larger tank.  Anyway, I'd like to buy a box of live rock (as fresh as possible) and dump it into a tank.  Maintain water quality and even feed the tank a little, but don't add anything else to the tank.  Give it 3-4 years and see what grows.

That would be good. The lighting and maintenance would have a big impact on what grew after four years.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:09am
For a nano in the 15 - 24g range I would first install a single drain the the bottom, center of the tank but as close to the rear glass as possible... then drill a total of 3 small return holes in the back glass near the top... I would then plumb a remote sump using maybe a 24" X 24" X 12" acrylic tank...for a total water volume of maybe 35 - 45g... you will need the sump both for temp control of the nano tank w/ a halide over it, and for water quality management as well. In the sump, 3 compartments - first a good skimmer like an Octopus NW150 in the first; 30 lb or so of LR in the 2nd; a 6" sandbed over a plenum in the 3rd - with a LOA PC light and as much chaeto as would fit over the sandbed.

Use a Fluval 405 as the return pump from the sump to the nano; nothing in the Fluval except carbon. Should give about 300 gph of flow, or 20 X tank turnover / hr.

Lighting: 1 - 150w DEMH Pheonix 14K bulb hanging about 9" over the nano waterline.

Now that we have filtration, flow, plumbing, lighting done, it's on to the nano reef itself.

Entire rear glass becomes a "wall" of SPS frags (mainly various acros) on about a 45 degree angle, facing up -courtesty of a generous supply of reef safe epoxy putty. Of course cover up the drain pipe to the sump as well.

Nano "sandbed" as shallow as possible (1/2"?) and completly covered front-to-back with various zooanthid frags... except for (3) 3" diameter spaces, where small rock "towers" maybe 4" high are installed in 2 of the 3" spaces; one tower gets covered in small colonies of Frogspawn and Hammer Corals; the other gets Sun Corals around the sides and a single small RBTA at the top. The 3rd space is reserved for a 4" clam of the owners choosing (perhaps a nice brilliant blue Crocea?)

For livestock, 15 tiny Blue Leg Hermits, 15 tiny Cerith or Nassarius snails, a single (small) Fire Shrimp takes care of the inverts.

Fish? How about a pair of juvenile Oscellaris or Perculas, a Court Jester or Red Clown Goby, maybe a pair of Purple Firefish as well?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:36am
Leafy Sea Dragon Species Tank

J/K
Jeff Rasmussen

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:42am
Seriously, I think a deep sand bed with a half dozen garden eels would be awesome!

Edit: Of course, you would need to have a very large nano Wink

Edited by jeffras - January 08 2008 at 12:45am
Jeff Rasmussen

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 8:14am
I would order in some good live rock and go with 1-3 Possum Wrasses and a few corals with room to grow.

Mike

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 9:15am
Come on now people you can do better than that.  I want some suggestions like
1) a manatee!
2) 10 gal tank, 20 clams
3) jellyfish
4) kelp and an angler
5) 50 chocolate chip stars and one harlequin shrimp

Get thinking
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 9:51am
baby sea turtle... named squirt!
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:21am
I want a 24 gal cube with just enough live rock to form a u shape on the back, and then one monster (12" plus) Derasa clam.  Did I mention putting hqi lights on it?  Then just the necessary hermits and snails.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 11:23am

How about a 12 gallon Nano. Work on some really cool and creative rockwork, and then glue small frags of bright GSP all over it. Maybe a couple varieties if you want to get fancy, but that's the only coral in the tank. Then put in like 8 coco worms, 20 fireshrimp and one Bangaii. Done!

Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 11:43am
I know what Adam is looking for in a six gallon nano......I would bring a rock shelf from the back, angled down to the sand, and cover the rock and every square inch of the tank with BLUNDELL buttons......mabey add 1 Helfrichi Firefish, and 5 Blue Legged Hermits, and 8 Astrea Snails..... then I would do it as a closed system, with no feeding, no skimmer, and only a 5% water change every other week....But the Blundell Buttons would be the center of attention....

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:00pm
6 gallon nano with an orca fetus! Was that random enough?

How about a dsb with urchins/oysters, clean up crew consisting of mainly snails and a few crabs, kelp bed, then a sea otter?
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:21pm
How about a "Great Barrier Reef Nano of Death". Contents...

1 Great white Shark
1 Box Jellyfish
1 Stone Fish
1 Blue Ring Octopus
1 Cone Snail
1 Russel Crowe

and 1 20 oz. can of Fosters as the centerpiece

You could have a picture of Steve Irwin or The Wiggles glued to the back of your tank.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic