Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fans controlled by temp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dukester48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukester48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fans controlled by temp
    Posted: November 13 2007 at 12:56pm
Is there a cheap product that can turn on fans once my tank goes over a certain temperature?  I can just run fans for a certain time frame but would rather my heater and fan not battle because the house temp flucuates.  Any idea's would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 2:33pm
You would have to get a temp controller. I just turn the fan on when the halides come on. Cheaper and keeps the temp down. I know the 2 halides heat the tank about 3.5 to 4 degrees even with the fan running so I keep it on the entire time. I'm sure the heater is not running at this time. Some day I will be able to afford the automated toys that everyone else has but I have to put the kids through college first Wink.
Jeff Rasmussen

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 3:04pm
There are some made by coral veiw I think it was..
Anyway the fan runs constantly but varies speed with temp. It was around $50.00 I put one on my dads tank and it works well.
There are some simalar things on ebay but I have no experance with those.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

LordMaximo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordMaximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 12:41pm
The only thing I can think of is a temp controlled switch, not cheap, but well worth the money. It is an industrial based controller switch, used to turn on/ excite most anything to function. They work very well and last for years, if used properly. Good luck, Maximo
Trigger Master
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 2:22pm
for what it does, you really can not beat the aqua Jr, otherwise there is the DIY attempts at it and there is the controller that LM is suggesting.  My fans cycle 24/7, but then again I have a +/- 2 degree temp variation.
Myself I looked into doing DIY what the aqua Jr does, and by the time I would have gotten all of the parts, I would have spent more, not including the time I would have spent.

below is the price from neptune, there may a used one around also.

Starting at $149.95 the AquaController Jr base unit delivers the highest price performance ratio in the industry and brings truly affordable aquarium monitoring and control to tanks of all sizes. The AquaController Jr has the same great programming configuration language of our higher end controllers as well as the temperature and pH monitoring and control, lighting and pump/powerhead control. Read more here. Now bundled with the DC8 at the amazing price of $224.95!
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 2:39pm
I do agree if you can afford the neptune it does a great job. It can do a lot more then the simple setups and is programable.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 4:53pm
IMHO the Neptune controllers including the AquaController Jr. are the way to go.

Mike

bruiseandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiseandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 9:34pm
ranco single stage controllers can usually be had on ebay pretty cheap.  
Ogden UT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic