Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Holes Drilled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Holes Drilled
    Posted: November 04 2007 at 7:23pm
Where is a good place to get your tank drilled and how much is it.
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 8:26pm
Depends on where you live. Marine aquatics will do it for around $10 a hole (if my memory is correct).
Jeff Rasmussen

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 8:44pm
Marine Aquatics did mine.

Mike

trunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 12:28am
Do they give you any sort of price break on that if you buy the tank from them?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 1:46am
Give them a call (801) 809-4469

Mike

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by trunks trunks wrote:

Do they give you any sort of price break on that if you buy the tank from them?

If they are drilling the holes for $10 a piece, that is an awesome price break!  Most places charge $30-$40 a hole.

rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 3:02pm
You could always buy a carbide hole saw and drill your own. I did and it worked great. The bit cost me about $20 at Home Depot. I removed the center guide bit and drilled it with the garden hose on it. But if you only want two holes drilled you might not want to do your own. I found that it was very easy to do.

Edited by rdbrown - November 05 2007 at 10:51pm
Kauai, Hawaii
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by rdbrown rdbrown wrote:

You could always buy a carbide hole saw and drill your own. I did and it worked great. The bit cost me about $20 at Home Depot. I removed the center guide bit and drilled it with the garden hose on it. But if you only want two holes drilled you might not want to do your own. I found that it was very easy to do.

I'm impressed.  I've tried to get my husband to do that, but he's too scared.  He said he would only do it if I got him this: http://www.twopartsolution.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=242

shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 8:21pm
They want $15 a hole and will do it right then but how many holes for a 90 and he said 1 inch or 3/4 witch is better do you use in the tank to go through  
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 9:54pm
I was just cleaning out this tank that i bought and found that in the middle of the bottom it said tempered glass do not drill in my other tanks it has said bottom tempered glass do not drill could this tank be made out of all tempered glass how do you tell.
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 10:49pm
If it says tempered glass on the tank, then it is the bottom that is tempered. You could always drill the back of the tank towards the bottom.

Edited by rdbrown - November 05 2007 at 10:51pm
Kauai, Hawaii
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 8:26pm
Is that always the case just want to make sure
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 9:55pm
Here is a link to tell you how you can find out. http://utahaquatics.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3225&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tempered&start=0

Edited by rdbrown - November 06 2007 at 9:56pm
Kauai, Hawaii
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 10:19pm
When I need a tank drilled I go to Eric.  That's something I wouldn't trust myself to do.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
richins1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richins1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 1:19am
I bought the same hole saw and am going to try it. wish me luck!
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 10:06am
richins PM me your number and I will give you some pointers on the drilling.
Kauai, Hawaii
theanimalman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theanimalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 5:09pm
Richard is right.  Drilling a hole in glass is no harder then in wood.  It just takes a bit longer, you need water on the drill site and use less pressure. 

I drilled three 60mm holes in the 300 gal. tank I had.  The glass thickness was about 11/16". 

In the limited experience I have, it seems that the thicker the glass the easier it is to drill.

Go to ebay, buy some really cheap diamond core bits and drill your own tanks. 

Chris
801-647-4731
[email protected]
richins1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richins1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 6:35pm
word Thumbs%20Up wasn't hard

Edited by richins1 - November 24 2007 at 11:07pm
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 3:54pm
We still drill tanks
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 12:03pm
Drilling tanks is actually pretty simple! It's scary, but once you start you start. I've even let a stranger drill one of my tanks to teach him how to do it.

One recommendation I have is to take some foam ( or even wood ) and drill a hole through a small piece of the foam. Tape the foam to the glass with the hole in the foam lined up with where you want the hole in the glass. Also tape a piece of foam on the back ( no hole necessary with that one ) The hole you just drilled through the foam will act as a guide and keep the drill straight. The foam on the back will stop you from punching through the glass too fast and cracking the panel. All it takes from there is a slow trickle of water into the hole in the foam and you're set. Just take it slower than you would drilling a hole through wood. Works a charm! Diamond hole saws can be found online for less than $10. So with the money you save you can drill quite a few holes!

If you're not comfortable drilling your own hole, find a hobbyist who is willing to help, or visit any local fish store. Most if not all of them will drill a hole for you. Prices may vary of course, but usually they're reasonable.

Edited by Pete Moss - June 25 2013 at 12:05pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic