Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reef Tour Suggestions for 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 3:03pm
So are you saying that the Conference Weekend was chosen on purpose?  If so why?  You miss out on quite a few people it would seem to me......
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 3:24pm
We received several complaints that the tour was on conference weekend.... however far fewer complaints than when the tour was on a day that byu was playing, or that utah was playing... and surprisingly fewer complaints than when we had the tour on peach days.

We looked at a lot of things going on this fall, that was certainly the best day for the tour.  I don't want to drag this thread into all the planning stuff.  I really like to just listening here to the suggestions.  I just wanted to clarify that the date wasn't picked out of a hat or anything.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

however far fewer complaints than when the tour was on a day that byu was playing, or that utah was playing...

And most importatly, Boise State was not playing...Wink
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 4:10pm
Quote We received several complaints that the tour was on conference weekend.... however far fewer complaints than when the tour was on a day that byu was playing, or that utah was playing... and surprisingly fewer complaints than when we had the tour on peach days.

Huh.  Interesting.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 8:00pm
Yes, and we even get complaints about having the tour when Boise St. is playing.  We had several reasons for using Oct 6, but Utah/BYU/Boise St were all a part of that. 

I remember talking to Scott about that 3 months ago.  He was very excited to have the tour not on a BSU game so he could bring down the whole clan.
Adam
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

We received several complaints that the tour was on conference weekend.... however far fewer complaints than when the tour was on a day that byu was playing, or that utah was playing... and surprisingly fewer complaints than when we had the tour on peach days.

We looked at a lot of things going on this fall, that was certainly the best day for the tour.  I don't want to drag this thread into all the planning stuff.  I really like to just listening here to the suggestions.  I just wanted to clarify that the date wasn't picked out of a hat or anything.

Adam

Many of us who would have complained about it kept their mouths shut, so how do you know it wasn't a big drawback for many?  No offense, Adam, but if the day was chosen to avoid a football game, fine- just say it.  We only hear what we want to hear.  I know my neighbors wouldn't have come because of General Conference.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:14am
I don't think we can choose a date that will make everyone happy. The date was not chosen willy-nilly. I'm sorry that some feel this was a bad choice. 

I would actually like to see the tour much later in the year  (like around Thanksgiving). This fits MY schedule much better!

I am encouraged to see so much interest in the reef tour planning. I hope this continues next fall!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:40am
Adam, Shane H: Definitely not an easy task to plan.

I am like Corey, however, in that I didn't whine about it and decided to just watch Conference and pause it if people came over.  Now that we're taking suggestions I felt it necessary to let my voice be heard.

Plan ahead and I whine.  Ask me what I think later and I whine.  Kobayashi maru.  Wink  (A reference to Star Trek Starfleet Academy test wherein a cadet is placed in a no-win situation.)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:41am
Shane- me too!
We really only have two days to choose from for the Reef Tour.  First Saturday in October, or First Saturday in November.  We try to tie it in with a meeting and guest speaker.  I guess on November 3rd we'll know if we picked the right date.

10 Steps to Hosting A Reef Tour

Step One- find a weekend in October or November.  It use to be in September... many people complained the weather was too nice and needed to be later in the fall.  We had it once in November... people complained it was too snowy and cold.
Step Two- look at the first weekends of October or November.  Hopefully have the reef tour just following a club meeting.  Otherwise people complained about getting posters, flyers, and not having all that for them just before the tour.
Step Three- Contact a guest speaker.  See if we can get a speaker to go on the tour (remember Scott Michael last year).  Make a reef tour weekend and have the speaker available for those who show their tanks on the tour.
Step Four- Book a speaker that will give a general presentation helpful to people who don't have tanks.  Because the Reef Tour is the same week as a club meeting we often get new people at the meeting for the first time.  They see reef tour ads and visit the site.  So we like to have a speaker at the meeting, just two days before the tour, who will give basic info.
Step Five- Check the BYU and Utah football schedule.  Sorry Scott, I only check the BSU schedule way down the list (see step 8).  History has shown that we'll get plenty o' emails if BYU is playing a homecoming game against Colorado St. on Reef Tour day.  And remember a couple years ago when I scheduled around byu but still put the tour on the day utah played air force... won't do that again.
Step Six- Check the Peach Days calendar.  If it is Peach Days weekend we can forget about having a north end of the tour.  Heil has made that very clear.
Step Seven- Give the best reef tour date to the PRESIDENCY.  To be honest, if the presidency goes for it... we go for it.  If you don't like it... I suggest joining the presidency. 
Step Eight- Contact Scott in Boise... appologize if it is a BSU game day and tell them we hope to see the Boise crowd next year.  Remember 3 years ago when byu played bsu on a Friday night.  That made planning the reef tour the next day a piece of cake.
Step Nine- Ask for area leaders... don't everyone volunteer at once.
Step Ten- Tell people to sign up and advertise.

Not that anyone cares but we did have a great turnout this year.  Corey had probably double the number of visitors as last year, and the weekend plans with our guest went even better than expected.
Adam
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

I don't think we can choose a date that will make everyone happy.

I totally agree.  It is like that anytime you plan something.  You just have to go with what works for the majority of the people.  I personally had no idea it was conference weekend or that it avoided football games.  I just wish the weather had been better, but you can't plan the weather.  It was our first year to experience the tour and we had a ball.  Thanks again Presidency!!!!

DebBig%20smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:11am
A couple more things I've considered:

1) Limiting the "official" tour to the SLC area
     Extreme North and extreme South inter-club tour at a later date
2) Holding the tour on two consectutive Saturdays. One for the SLC and Utah counties, one for Davis and North counties.
3) Making the tour every-other year, rather than an annual event. In hopes of getting a larger turn out and more club members willing to participate in advertising, and tour coordination.
4) Making Adam the permanent reef tour champion. He did a spectacular job this year!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:19am
I'll probably add
Step ?- Contact X96 to avoid the Big Ass Show.  That was pretty stupid of us to plan our reef tour the same day they have their biggest event, considering they are the only radio station that gives us free advertising.

I'm all for hearing suggestions.  Please do share with the presidency any thoughts you may have.  I just don't want people to think we drew a date out of a hat or anything. 
Adam
ps- Heil, I'll only do the reef tour again if none of the other 200 members volunteer to do so... which seems to be the case each year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:32am
If WMAS could have a trained monkey do a commercial on late night KJZZ, that'd be awesome.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:54am
I like the tour being every year and I think we had enough visitors to support that. I do like the idea of two consecutive weekends. I also decline to chair the Reef Tour next year. One down and 199 to go and Adam can do it again Clap He does a fantastic job!

I think it was a good weekend and we had great participation from the public.

Mike

CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 6:09pm

This was my first time attending the reef tour and I only got to about half the houses I wanted to... There is SO much to see and not enough time to see it.  It would be nice to break it up into two days. Also since hosts aren't able to see everyone elses houses maybe have the "north" one day and "south" another.  That way they can see some of the other tanks too.  As my hubby said "There is no way we are going to Ogden AND Provo!" LOL

"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Cody Pearce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:12pm

I like the idea of splitting the reef tour into areas to get a better turn out and just rotate which area it is going to be in each year.  That way half the club gets to go on the tour and the other be the tour.  Just my 2 cents, but I realize that a lot can change from year to year.

90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:20am

It unfortunately will never be done on 2 days... like a saturday and a sunday because the area's religion doesn't permit... Alot more we wanted to see just weren't able.... would my husband and I do it again.... maybe... maybe not... we were a little disappointed that we felt the focus was more on technology then actuall view of tank... The one person who had by far the best looking tank... didn't seem to care or know about for that matter all of the technology and things that could be done... I am not bashing your club please don't take it that way.... I was just really expecting with the amount of stores and tanks you have down there to see some real rare and exotic stuff.... I just didn't see what I thought I was going to see... however when that next time comes I think I will individually make arrangements for us to see things to help enable more to be seen... I know you can't accomidate everything but maybe give us the tools to do it ourselves... like user names etcs...

We still had fun.... Thank you for having us!

Alicia & Nate
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:32am
It unfortunately will never be done on 2 days... like a saturday and a sunday because the area's religion doesn't permit...
The Utah Pond tour is Saturday and Sunday.  Don't count it out... we've just never wanted to spend the time and energy to do two days Embarrassed
we were a little disappointed that we felt the focus was more on technology then actuall view of tank...
I can definitely agree with you here.  That is a big pet peeve of mine in this hobby.  In fact I'm really excited about our next club meeting, because it will address part of this problem.  But don't get me going on technology and products and trade shows and grrrr Angry
I was just really expecting with the amount of stores and tanks you have down there to see some real rare and exotic stuff....
Here I do disagree.  I would hate to see tanks dominated by rare or exotic or limited edition or whatever else.  To heck with that, mushrooms and green stars are still the best.  I'm sorry you were looking for something rare... I've been discouraging that for years.
I know you can't accomidate everything but maybe give us the tools to do it ourselves...
Ummm, usernames, real names, phone numbers, maps, descriptions of tanks... what more could you want?
IdahoReefs.org
THE BEST CLUB EVER!!! :)
I'll be kind and not even comment on that. Wink
Adam
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:44am
I knew you would be the first one Adam.... It was meant for you! :) I think you should just give us some of your fish stores... You guys can't be greedy and keep them all down there... Right now we drive long distances for our stuff... Just picked up a lot of things from Aquatic Dreams in Spokane.... We go to Upscales in portland as much as we can... and well then there was Salt Lake.......................with the user names... I don't remember on the version I had having that many on there... but I will make sure I have them all next time... I just didn't conversate on here prior so figured asking for that junk in the open might be weird...
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 1:58pm
If you needed a list of the local fish stores look at the link to the upper left.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic