Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE 2007 REEF TOUR "BLOG" - EPILOGUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: How will YOU be participating in the 2007 Reef Tour?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.04%]
5 [10.20%]
11 [22.45%]
1 [2.04%]
30 [61.22%]
1 [2.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 10:47pm

Update:

Here is a 'first look' at a few of our homemade reef signs:

And here's the latest Weather update:

Keep your fingers crossed that the nastiest stuff stays to our north -

although the forecast has it 50 / 50 that Saturday is a messy day Disapprove

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 11:51pm

Great job on the signs! I really like the one about your reef aquarium.

Mike

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 12:23pm
OK. A week ago it looked like the first picture. Now it is at the second picture point. Tonight it will be done. (except the stained-glass for the hood. They lost the order. Anyone know a local company that is reasonable)

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 2:02pm
That looks awesome Dion! Your visitors are going to be blown away!

Mike

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 2:26pm
Anyone know a local company that is reasonable)

How about Kelly Glass in Ogden?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 2:29pm

Most glass companys don't do stained glass. If they do I will give them a try. Thanks.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 2:31pm
Dion are you looking just for colored glass or a leaded glass design?

My folks used to do leaded glass art, and bought alot of glass at Beehive glass in SLC

Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 3:07pm
Leaded. 
Bad "censored" Cabinets
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

That looks awesome Dion! Your visitors are going to be blown away!

Mike

Wow - that is an AWESOME display Big%20smile I really like all the cabinetry around the tank.

If I ever "upgrade" again I know where I'm going to get the cabinet made Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 5:45pm
Dion has made both of mine and I have been very happy with them.

Mike

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 6:20pm
Friday, 10 / 05

We are down to the "wire"...

with only *** 1 DAY *** left until the 2007 Reef Tour - not sure how we should feel about that...

Anxious ? Confused 

Relaxed ? Smile

Excited ? Big%20smile

Worried ? Shocked

All of the above ? Ermm

Anyway, let's get the bad news out of the way first. And the first,and most significant bad news is the lousy weather... which has been updated and downgraded from where it was at on yesterdays forecast:

<>

Saturday's Hourly Forecast    more details

6am

Feels Like
41°F

9am

Feels Like
32°F

12pm

Feels Like
31°F

3pm

Feels Like
40°F

6pm

Feels Like
37°F

9pm

Feels Like
37°F

10/ 06 Day

10/06 Night

Rain / Snow

High
46°F

Precip
90%  Cry

Wind:

WSW 14 mph

Max. Humidity:

86%

UV Index:

4 Moderate

Sunrise:

7:29 AM MT

Avg. High:

70°F

Record High:

87°F (1997)

Showers

Overnight Low
39°F

Precip
50%

Wind:

NW 9 mph

Max. Humidity:

80%

Sunset:

7:02 PM MT

Avg. Low:

37°F

Record Low:

25°F (1969)

Last Updated Friday, Oct 5, 4:05 PM Mountain Daylight Time

The chance of foul weather has risen to basically 'guaranteed' (90%, way up from yesterdays 30%)

Hopefully this will have a minimal impact on the volume of visitors we get...

Second piece of bad news for me is that my Laptop's Wireless Card looks like it is shot. Apparently someone bent it trying to insert it and maybe the circuit board inside it was damaged. Not a huge deal (we have a desktop PC, too) except that I blew almost the entire day trying to get it up Angry

A friend came over and worked on it with (for?) me for like 3 hours... I really did have plenty of other "Tour" prep work I could have been doing but, after all, he came over to help me - so I couldn't just send him away once we figured out the computer problem; that would have been very rude. So, by the time he left I had like 40 minutes left to work on my Tour Display set up and stuff before work...

Got my refreshment table up, worked a little more on signs, left
instructions for the rest of the prep with the missus...

Will have to fabricate my lawn sign holder once I get home tonight. Since  the sign itself is done, hopefully won't take too long.

Then it's up early tomorrow to give myself a couple of hours to complete the setting up inside and out and then hopefully at least an hour before the 9AM start I can do some work on the tank itself... scrape the glass, clean the lighting glass covers, that kind of stuff.

After that... it looks like it will be TOUR TIME at last Thumbs%20UpClapCool

bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 7:51pm
Now it's time for us procrastinators to get going.  Confused

I was to busy reading your thread to get anything else done today.  Ermm
So I will just make a list from what you did and get to work.  Geek

Thanks for the ideas.  Clap
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 9:18pm
I was too busy to get the door for my end table/cabinet finished, but I got the rest of it built and in place. I scraped the glass and all I have left to do is empty the skimmer cup when I get home from work tonight. My cabinetry isn't nearly as nice as Dions, but it is only my second wood project. First one was my canopy.

sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 10:40pm
I love reef tour season. With summer now a thing of the past I begin to remember that I have a reef aquarium. Looking forward to the tour I gaze into my tank and as my mezmorization with the hobbie becomes reborn I begin to tinker with coral placement, equipment cleaning etc. three days prior to the tour I manage to trash my 2 power heads that are my only real source of water movement. I replace 1 of them. I now believe I am reef tour ready. This year is going to be great! Bad weather shmad weather, no worries. In 2000 I went on the reef tour and it made me go from quitting trying to sustain a reef tank to knowing that it could be done and it could be done well and most importantly for me it could be done semi inexpensively. I am so exited to share info with others on this day and I hope that I too can change even one persons perspective on this hobby in a positive way as it was for me in 2000. Even if I have to talk to 1000 people to do it. Thats all I got to say about that.
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 10:45pm
Got all my junk cleaned up and ready to go.  Couple dozen cookies and a ton of halloween candy and filled the fridge with bottled water.  I haven't had too many visitors in past years and this year I am kind of by myself in PG.  Hopefully Bob's preparations will bring them in droves. Thanks, Bob!!!  Send them my way.

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 10:49pm
fax, that scraper that you made worked perfectly!!!!!!!!, took all of the coraline off easy, it was a bit tough down by the sand bed, just because of the reach, and I wore the sharp edge off. Big%20smile

oh, and send any people my way, I'll send all that I can your way.

Brian
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 11:23pm
Fax, Brian:

The way I hear it many of the Salt Lake County Tour homes reported dozens of visitors last year; some even said they had more than a hundred!

We need to get more UT Co homes involved; I personally know of 7 people who have Reef Tanks in Lehi and Eagle Mountain alone and none of them are on the Tour this year Dead There are plenty of reefers here in UT Co - we just need to get more of them involved...

So I'm just hoping that some of that famed SL County "traffic" comes to see US Clap

My biggest worry is that the combination of lousy weather, less Tour stops per town, and close to $3 / gal gas prices end up hammering us poor Utah County guys Disapprove 

After all the effort I (and all the rest of us hosting a Tour home) have put in getting everything all primped and prepped, I would hate to spend Reef Tour Saturday just sitting in my chair, staring at my tank, wondering when (or IF) the doorbell is finally gonna ring...  

So I hope all you Salt Lake guys are pulling for us Thumbs%20Up

And, anyone who comes to my home can take a flyer or even a whole tour brochure with them (I printed up 50 "All location" flyers, 50 "Utah County" flyers, and 10 full Reef Tour brochures in case a visitor wants any or all of them) so they should have no problem driving on over to see you guys in PG or SF!

Good Luck to us all Big%20smile

fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 11:25pm
You rock, Bob.
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 11:33pm
I also will have copies available of the Utah county tanks, and if someone is headed up into so I'll print them a copy, also I have wifi this year so I'll be on the board as much as possible tomorrow.

oh, and I'll have the blue planet episodes playing on the tv
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 11:43pm
We just finished with our sign that will be going in our yard if the weather lets us.  Then another out on 5400s to show which road I'm on.Big%20smile
Tanks are cleaned, water perameters all look good,, I think I'm ready!!!!
WinkThumbs%20Up

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic