Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nori from grocery store

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nori from grocery store
    Posted: September 21 2007 at 1:43pm
Has anyone used this?  I found some at Harmons and it was like 2 or 3 bucks for a lot more sheets than I was getting at the lfs.  Is there something wrong with using this stuff?  It looks the same to me.  The ingredients on one package just say nori and on the other it says dried baked seaweed.  I've heard of people getting seaweed sheets (nori) from an oriental market but is this the same stuff?  Just want to make sure I'm not filling my tangs up with baked iceburg lettuce.
60g LPS Cube
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 1:53pm
It is great. Get Roasted or Baked. NOT fried. I think I usually pay $1.89 for 10 sheets roughly 8"X10". They call it SushiNori.

Mike

Edited by Mike Savage - September 21 2007 at 1:54pm

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 2:03pm
Mike - Yeah thats the stuff. I don't know why I ever bought the stuff from the lfs now.  It is so much cheaper this way.  Oh well.  I am still probably going to buy the brown and red algae from the LFS because I didn't see anything but green at the grocery store.
60g LPS Cube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 2:32pm
All I ever see is green too.

Mike

shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 2:42pm
GO TO THE MARKET NEXT TO THE LIQUOR STORE ON 90TH SO.
72 Bow ASM G2 Oceanic1 mag 9.5
TEK 8 bulb T5HO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 3:06pm
That is a long drive for Aaron. Steve, you can go to the Asian Market at 78th & State on the South East corner.

Mike

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 3:50pm
Do they have red and brown at these markets?  If so it would be worth the drive (I'm down in Sandy often to visit the inlaws).
60g LPS Cube
Dale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 6:52pm
it's called VINH LONG i've been going there since i was a kid.
Dale
29g biocube
Ecoxotic LED mod
West Jordan

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 7:25pm
This is the red seaweed

Sorry for the open package and the half-used seaweedEmbarrassed.  The new one looks like a cake.  It is much cheaper than Nori (1 buck for 40g compared to 2 bucks for 20g of Nori) but harder to use.  It is basically a mesh of long strips of red seaweed.  As a result, the tangs have a hard time pulling it apart.  What I usually do is cut them into thin stripes, rehydrate them and pour them into the tank.  My tangs enjoy them.  I do to (I rip out a few pieces to nibble on from time to time, quite tasty).

All Vietnamese grocery stores that I frequent have these.  They are stocked right next to the noris.

I haven't seen the brown seaweed for sale.
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 8:31pm
Great info. Thanks Dinhkim!

Mike

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 8:32pm
Sweet. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to pick the red up at one of these markets... the LFS still gets some of my cash for the brown though.
60g LPS Cube
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic