Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Phoenix - Rising fr the ashes (new pics 01/18)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Phoenix - Rising fr the ashes (new pics 01/18)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 11:58am
Originally posted by EagleEyez5 EagleEyez5 wrote:

I have to say.....you have expensive taste.....and a large budget...hope to come check it out some day....

I don't know if you saw it before but it was one of the most amazing tanks I have ever seen .. some of the coal was very rare .. and I started planning my tank around his .. however at present my tank would not hold a match stick to what his looked like ... I have never met a person that can rattle off scientific names like its a second language LOL

I am very interested to watch this tank grow again .. Dkle is also one of the nicest guys I have met on the board ... I bought frags from his tank a year or so ago .. and they are growing great!

Dkle .. If you want to get some of what you had .. please let me know .. I would be more than happy to donate some of the coral that you sold me last year ...

Let me know!

Edited by thebutler4 - September 21 2007 at 12:05pm
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 12:56pm
dinkim (sorry if i mispelled your name)

welcome back!  the new tank looks AWESOME.  I really want to see how the barebottom works out.  I like the look of sand, but I've contemplated doing a barebottom setup.  Keep us posted.  I can't wait to come by and see it.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 9:40pm
Jamison, I missed your wit while away from the board.  The green birdnest is growing well.  Hopefully it will become a big colony in no time at all.

Reptoreef, sorry about your tank.  I can't wait to see your new tank.

EagleEyez, this IS an expensive hobbyWink.  I am just glad that I can afford it.

TheButler4: You're making me blushEmbarrassed.  Thanks for the offer; but my tank is pretty full with only a few spots left for some specific ORA and acro species on my wish list.  I am glad that I could help you out in the black and white maxima matter.  They are hard to come by.  How big is your clam?

Chirs, are you a Francophone? There are specific steps that need to be taken in setting up a barebottom tank to avoid algae.  Reefcentral has several threads dedicated to this.  I'll keep you guys updated on my tank.  I am hopeful that it works.

If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
Tyrosinase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrosinase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 5:39pm
Dinhkim,

What is your current fish list?  Also, how does your current number of fish compare to the last time you had the tank set up?  I recently remembered reading that people running BB tank keep more fish in order to keep nutrients at acceptable levels.

Thanks.

-Alonzo
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 9:34pm
Currently I have:
- Two Lubbock fairy wrasses
- Three orange firefishes
-Six bluestreak cardinals
-One blue tang
-One yellow tang
-One purple tang

I used to have three beautiful pyramid butterflyfish, four ocellaris clowns as well as several more wrasses.  They contracted horrible ich when the tangs were added and died. It was quite surprising to me since my experience was that if the fish is in good health and not under stress, it will get through ich without any problem.  I am waiting to add probably some more wrasses/anthias in the tank.

The currently fish list is small; but I do feed the corals a mixture of golden pearls 5-50 and 50-100 micron size, as well as frozen rotifers.  So far, my acros have been keeping their good color and good growth.

Here are a few more pics:

This is a topdown shot of the A.loripes posted above.  I love topdown pic because it picks up only the most colorful parts of corals, the parts that are exposed to light.  This guy is just gorgeous.  I am very partial to deepwater acro

This is THE brightest coral in my tank; but also the hardest to take pics of.  The bright tips causes the pics to be overexposed.  Did I say that I LOVE acropora millepora LOL

The gorgeous tableforming A.latistella

Very nice blue lipped A.pulchra

The delicate-looking blue bottlebrush A.turaki.  This guy has been on my wish list forever and I finally was able to get a small frag. 

Breathtaking yellow birdnest with green tips.  Well, it doesn't quite take your breath away at this juvenile state; but I am pretty sure that it will when it grows up (or is that grow outSmile). 

Topdown shot of the ORA green cat's paw posted earlier

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 10:25pm
Great pictures. I love that green stylophora!

Mike

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 10:38pm
Jumping in a bit late but welcome back my friend! Your pictures look fantastic.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 11:18am
Dinkim, yes, I'm francophone.  Did you pick any up through your schooling in Vietnam?

Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 11:34am
Originally posted by chris.rogers chris.rogers wrote:

Dinkim, yes, I'm francophone.  Did you pick any up through your schooling in Vietnam?

mais oui.  I remembered nagging my dad to read the Tintin, Asterix comic books to me.  I thought I recognized your signature line.  I think French is such a beautiful language.  It is a shame though that I forgot most of it having been in the States for 11 years without practicing speaking French.  I have a ton of 60s,70s and 80s french music that I listen to everyday to remind myself.
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 3:17pm
I'm a little late on the welcome Dinhkim, but WELCOME BACK! and with a bang I must say! You were always the master SPS keeper, if you don't mind may I ask where do you get your corals from? I lost all my SPS recently when a co-worker (nice guy but a little quirky) decided to show mother nature who the boss is by turning the thermostat up and making the room 115+ when the outside temp was about 105. I'm looking to start back-up soon. Those corals are awesome and I have no doubt they'll flourish like your previous tank.
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 3:50pm
Sshm,

Thanks for the welcome.  Sorry about your tank at work.

I bought corals from many vendors. 

Locally, Aquatica is a top-notch LFS as far as SPS goes.  Shawn's stuffs are very nice, reasonably-priced.  He is a honest guy, always a pleasure to deal with.  I also like Marine aquatics, MSM  but they don't stock SPS all that often.

As far as internet sellers go:
    Reefhotspot.com, fragglereef.com got a lot of my business.  The prices are excellent.  You get free shipping for order 200 bucks and above.   Keep in mind that Fragglereef's pictures always look worse than the actual corals (he did not photoshop his pics at all).  Both owners, Max and Miguel are very personable, very nice guys.

Reefermadness.us has excellent stuffs, but very expensive, except when there is a sale going on (like at this moment, 40% off).  The pics always look better than the actual corals (Kris swears that he doesn't photoshop his pics; it must've been the difference in lighting).  free shipping for order 200 or more.

Liveaquaria.com simply has the best ORA coral collection on the net.  All of my ORA are from them.  Their diver's den (WYSIWYG) is very nice.  Overall, the price is higher; but the guarantee is awesome (4 weeks for aquacultured corals, 2 weeks for all other).  Customer service is second to none.  Dead corals are credited cheerfully; no questions asked.  No free shipping

Drmaccorals.com has very good selection as well.  The several corals I received from them however were a bit bleached.  No free shipping.

Reefscience.com has very good reputation.  No free shipping but sales happen very often (read:Be patient and wait for a sale, unless there is a coral that you just have to have).

For a selection of aquacultured frags, not maricultured corals, upscales.com and reefstuff.com are two big farmers/retailers in Oregon.  Their frags are very nice, reasonably priced.  For big orders, you can negotiate to get free shipping from upscales.  You can't get free shipping from reefstuff.com, but Rick will pick for you huge frags and throw in some good free stuff.

sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 5:00pm
Thanks, I'm saving that post :)
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 5:29pm
Quote Dale, your tank is absolutely gorgeous.  I like the fact that you let the colonies grow out to their potentials.  I am glad that I was able to help you out at the beginning.  It was then that the help was valuable; you hardly need any help nowadays being an expert yourself.  I probably should stop by and admire your tank soon;

If you are ever down this way let me know. You are more than welcome in my home.

Edited by Lyscer - September 24 2007 at 5:29pm
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Lyscer Lyscer wrote:

Quote Dale, your tank is absolutely gorgeous.  I like the fact that you let the colonies grow out to their potentials.  I am glad that I was able to help you out at the beginning.  It was then that the help was valuable; you hardly need any help nowadays being an expert yourself.  I probably should stop by and admire your tank soon;

If you are ever down this way let me know. You are more than welcome in my home.

will do Dale!

More pics yet!

Acropora suharsonoi, one of the rarer deepwater acros.  Since they are rare, I bought two just in caseBig%20smile

Bluelipped A.tenuis

My feeble attempt at keeping the en vogue acans, not quite sure what to do with them, where to mount them, you get the picture!

Strawberry acans

Raspberry acans

Spectacular blue maxima

Blue crocea

Golden maxima

Another shot of the double whammy clove polyps.  I am currently propagating this bad boy.  Any takers when the frags are ready?

Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 7:14pm
How much do you want for a frag of it?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 8:06pm
Those Strawberry Acans are sweet!

Mike

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 9:44pm
Dale,
I'll probably price the frags in the 15-20 bucks.  It will take a month or two though.

Mike,
How fast do acans grow?  I don't really target feed them.  Just whatever my SPS eat.  Hopefully that is enough.
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 9:59pm
How much BSD GP's do you feed?  How much of each size?  How often?

Thanks,
Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
hairmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 10:06pm
please put me down for one, it is beautiful!
"Logic is your friend"
west side salon 250-5314
8370w 3500s magna.
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 10:15pm
Fax,

I use the first two sizes (5-50 and 50-100 micro).  I feed everyday, a pinch of each.

Hairmonkey, you got it.  I'll contact you when the frags are ready.  They will be 5-10 polyps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic