Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Phoenix - Rising fr the ashes (new pics 01/18)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Phoenix - Rising fr the ashes (new pics 01/18)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Phoenix - Rising fr the ashes (new pics 01/18)
    Posted: September 20 2007 at 9:32pm
Hi everybody,

It has been quite sometimes since I visited the board.  I was too busy  with work for a straight period of about four months Deadwhen I didn't even have time to breathe, let alone browsing the board or taking good care of the tank.  As a result, my tank suffered.  A lot of my prized acros died.  A dozen or so of colonies managed to survive and grew quite big.  However, the tank was slowly taken over by the tulip anemones (starting out as one, then eventually became hundreds, thousands)Angry

Three months ago, I moved to a new house.  This was my chance to start over.  All of the rocks were taken out and placed in the dark; basically just like cycling new liverocks.  After three weeks, all of the tulip anemones perishedBig%20smile.  Unfortunately, the central air conditioning of the new house broke down for 2 days.  The in-house temperature rose to 95 or over and killed all of my fish and corals that I have been storing in a large plastic bin

Edited by dkle - January 18 2008 at 10:35pm
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 9:47pm
A.millepora is one of my very favorite species: fast growth, hairy polyps, and beautiful colors

Vivid blue milli

Light blue with orange tips

This guy is just insane: peach pink branch with lime green tips

Pink milli 11 days apart, pretty nice growth so far

Bright yellow/orange corallites with yellow/green polyps, again 11 days apart

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 10:03pm
ORA corals anyone?

Beautiful ORA Australian delicate acro with lavender tips and tiny starry neon green polyps

Eye-popping Chip's acro with blue tips, green branches and fuzzy polyps.  I think this species is A.horrida

The highly sought-after german blue polyp acro

Gorgeous solid turquoise stag

Bright green birdnest Seriatopora guttatus, 11 days apart

This guy has just been recently re-released, neon green cat's paw Stylophora, 11  days apart

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 10:08pm
Great to see you back Dinhkim,  I knew it was just a matter of time untill you posted some beautiful pictures.Big%20smile  How are you liking your Maristar?
I love mine, but of course you knew I would, since you were the one that talked me into it.Thumbs%20Up We will have to get together soon and compare notes.Wink
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 10:35pm
Dinhkim, WELCOME BACK!

The corals are beautiful but I would expect nothing less. I'm so glad you are still around and in the hobby!

Mike

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 10:39pm
Very nice! I too am glad to see you back! its been a while!
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 10:39pm
Wow, welcome back!  Nice pics!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 10:58pm
Very nice.  It's been a while, Dinkhim!
Tyrosinase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrosinase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 11:08pm
Welcome back!

I am sorry to hear that your other corals didn't make it.  They were absolutely stunning.

This batch is also looking really nice!  I can't wait to see how they fill up your tank.

So, where are the pictures of the fish?

Let us know how the barebottom works out for you.  I have done some reading about it on RC and, I have to admitt, it is an intriguing idea.

-Alonzo
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 11:34pm
Welcome back!

I still have the origional clump of macro that you so graciously gave me a year and a half or so ago. It is the thickest chaeto I have seen to date.
I'd be glad to return the favor.

Steve
72 Bow ASM G2 Oceanic1 mag 9.5
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 11:37pm
Just beautiful!  I will have to come see you in about a year when you have no more room and need to do some fragging.

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 12:02am
Stunning! You hooked me up a while ago when I was first starting, if there is anything in my tank that you would like, you are welcome to it. I know I don't have anything as nice as what you just posted though. However, the offer still stands.
Cody Pearce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 12:36am
Welcome back Dinhkim.  Those pics are amazing.  Can you show a full tank shot?
90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 1:16am
WELCOME BACK brother!!!!
I’m so glad to see you again. 

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 1:23am
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. 

Brad, I like the Maristar a lot.  Very sleek design, powerful MH and T5, quiet fans keeping temperature warm to the touch.  Pricey, but worth it.

Mike, thank you for all of your posts as well as your email.

Tyrosinase, there is definitely a learning curve to bare bottom.  I am still tweaking my tank as I go along.  So far so good though.

Shakin', I am glad that the chaeto does some good for your tank.  I did have some leftover chaeto when I restarted the tank.  They grew like crazy for a while and then died out.  This is well documented in barebottom tanks because of the low nutrient level.  So my sump now is bare with some LR only.  But if I have algae problem in the future, I'll take you up on your offer.

Dale, your tank is absolutely gorgeous.  I like the fact that you let the colonies grow out to their potentials.  I am glad that I was able to help you out at the beginning.  It was then that the help was valuable; you hardly need any help nowadays being an expert yourself.  I probably should stop by and admire your tank soon; but don't know if I can take any frags from you.  My tank is pretty full itself; and I am still have some ORA pieces as well as some specific acro species/colors on my wish list.

Cody, I'll take a full tank shot soon.  It probably will turn out ugly since all of the corals are still quite small.  I am eager to show off the Maristar and the stand though.

More pics:

A.selago: very similar to A.tenuis but thinner and more scale-like corallite.  This frag is growing very nicely and have very nice polyp extension.  The two pics are 11 days apart

Teal stag.  the pic doesn't do it any justice.  It is bright teal

Acropora suharsonoi, one of the harder to find deepwater acro

Teal green A.tenuis, came to me all bleached out.  It is slowly getting better.  The topdown shot looks pretty; but it is "not all that" from a regular view.  Notice the blue polyps that develop in growing tips

Sold to me as A.tizardi; but looks suspiciously like A.insignis.  Gorgeous aqua branch with bright blue tips.  Fast grower.  The two pics are 11 days apart

Stunning blue tipped A.vermiculata

A deep orange Montipora digitada.  Fast grower too.  11 days between 2 pics

Bright green candy cane

Double whammy clove polyps, green centers AND orange tips.  I paid a ridiculous amont of money for this colony

The new color morph of coco worm

I went a bit overboard Embarrassed with the Maxima clams

Pure black and white tiger Maxima, fairly hard to come by

EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 2:18am
I have to say.....you have expensive taste.....and a large budget...hope to come check it out some day....

Edited by EagleEyez5 - September 21 2007 at 2:19am

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 9:06am

Dinhkim,

I've been worried sick about you. How dare you just up and disappear on us like that! Seriously though, it really is nice to have you back. The absence of your pics of stunning corals and amazing growth had temporarily made us all feel better about ourselves, but we're sure glad to have them back! I've got to come see your tank. I'm real sorry about the loss of your old set-up, but sometimes its nice to be able to start from scratch. How did I know the green birdsnest would find it's way into the new tank? WELCOME BACK!

Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 9:16am
I was thinking the same thing about the green birdsnest! Had to have it!

Mike

reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 10:19am
Hey buddy,

I was just speaking to others about you recently and why you might be MIA... glad to see you back. I too had a crash that totaled my tank just a couple of months ago. Things are ok now and the tank looks like more of a frag rack than a reef. It is kind of cool, though as now I have a better opportunity to pre-plan.
www.captivereefing.com
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 11:16am
I just Identified my mystery clam! Thanks Dkle! I too have the Pure black and white tiger Maxima .. Thanks to your picture I was able to Identify him! .. I have been trying for a few months .. lol

Edited by thebutler4 - September 21 2007 at 11:53am
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic