Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help, my tank is turning green

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 2:14pm

Mark (and Jon)-

We dissected a pouch at the pres meeting.  It wasn't at all what we were expecting.  It wasn't granulated anything.  It looked to me like wheet grass, and Jake said it tasted (yes tasted) like some sort of seed.  It also had the same look as sawdust.  Remember all that talk a few years back about using hay?  Remember how Seabase added bales of hay to the water hoping it would suck stuff up.  It uses that same type of principle. 

But still, I don't know what it is.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 2:23pm

I knew I left too soon  (babysitters ).  Diana, do you still have it?

Hay you say?  What's the theory behind that?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 2:29pm
I love a challange. Is that pouch still available for further analysis?
Sounds like I missed a great Pres. Meeting. Maybe I should have stayed home instead of taking some r&r in San Diego.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 2:38pm

Jon,

I don't know much about the theory because it never seemed important enough for me to read up on.  But basically, you put hay in a high flow area (filter system) and as the water passes around it, the hay will trap, and consume PO4 as bacteria and algae begin to grow in the hay. So you just replace the hay ever few weeks. Just a few months ago we saw a bunch of hay at Seabase in the water, but it was near the outlet, so I don't know how much good that would have done, even if the theory holds up.
That may seem like a stretch, but lots of people, and even public aquaria use it. And yes we kept that pouch for you.  I'm not sure who has it but I remember Steve putting it in a plastic bag for you.

Adam

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 2:44pm
As I remember, Linda said that Barley hay was supposed to work best. That's cool that someone actually took the "crazy" idea and made it into a product that works!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 4:37pm

I was just looking at a Fosters & Smith catalog, where they sell Barley Straw "in 6 to 8 weeks the straw begins releasing safe oxygenators to clear your pond naturally.  Most effective in shallow, sunny ponds with good circulation."  It says 1/2 lb treats 500 gallons for $12.99.  I've seen ponds and lakes in England use this to clear algae.  Just thought I'd chime in there!

Renee

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 2:18pm
I still have the contents of the pouch in a plastic bag. I was planning to send it to Jon.

I called the Algone company today, because someone asked me if they sold it at any LFS. They said that they don't have any resellers in our area yet. While I had them on the phone, I tried to get the guy to tell me what's in this stuff. All he would say was that it was a proprietary all-natural formula.

Jon - Are you still interested?

Edited by dianatabor
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 2:35pm
Diana,  yes, bring it to the April meeting?  I doubt I'll have anything to add to what has already been said, I'm just curious.
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 3:49pm
I'll bring it.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 10:01am

I guess that I can understand the concept of a natural media bed for the adsorption of solids and the promotion of a biological process. But, I just don't care for the technology, it's too easy. I would venture to say that ALMOST any standard filter would work to similar success, it just depends on what your target contaminate is. For instance, if you had high metals I would use bone char carbon or maybe coconut shell.

I think that the organic filter releases it's own nutrients and phosphates when soaked for a period of time by its own deterioration. This may stimulate an above average algal growth which will then consume more nutrients from the influent.

Adam, the "bunch of hay at Seabase in the water, but it was near the outlet, so I don't know how much good that would have done" may have utilized the pressure behind the effluent to force it through the natural media. In many cases, bales are used as primary solids and free oil filters. This could have been the thought process.

Just my thoughts and experience.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 10:08am

Carl,

That makes sense, and I agree that would force the water through the hay allowing it to be filtered.  But that was the outlet!!!  Why filter the water that is then going away?  See what I'm saying?  That wouldn't do much to filter the water in the lake. 

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 10:26am

I've been doing some reading on barley hay for algae control, the data has a lot in common with using garlic to treat ich (not a lot of hard scientific experiment results and the conclusions are mixed).  Maybe I'll post some info and links on straw...

I agree with Adam, it makes no sense to me to put the bales at the outlet .

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 12:28pm

Adam, I misunderstood which outlet you were referring to. Sorry. I thought that it was an outlet from a filtration or circulation system into the pond. Perhaps it is used to prevent livestock from leaving the pond? Also, if they are discharging to a POTW (sewer system), then they may be trying to eleviate some discharge concerns with solids or other factors that may have resulted in surcharges. I do not know what their setup is like, so I couldn't comment specifically. I would need to take a look at it. But for example, some marinas will use bales to "prevent" contaminants from their parking lot or boat washing from reentering the water table. Effective, sure, against large paint chips, cigarette butts, etc.

Jon, how DARE YOU!  I said good day Sir!

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
kd7hfw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kd7hfw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 1:13pm

I have seen the hay at seabase, but never really gave it any thought. But the algone pouch did make a HUGE difference in the Fowlers tank. I noticed a big difference in 2 days.

You shouldn't be afraid of noises in the dark.
Anything that wants to cause you harm will stalk you silently.
kfowler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2004 at 6:04pm

Hello everyone,  thanks again for all the great advice and help.  here are some recent pictures.  As you can see our tank is doing much better.

(sorry, I think I shrunk them down to small)

Edited by kfowler
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic