Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help, my tank is turning green

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 9:27am

I think it does matter where the nitrification occurs.

Simplified nitrification:
   NH3 + organic food + O2  --->  NO3 + CO2 + H + H2O

Simplified denitrification:
   NO3 + organic food + H ---> N2 + CO2 + H2O

The common thread is hydronium (H+).  It's a product of nitrification and a reactant in the denitrification reaction.  If nitrification occurs far away from an anoxic region, then the H+ produced has a greater chance of being swept away in the bulk water to eventually react with carbonate or bicarbonate in your tank, lowing your alkalinity.  If the nitrification occurs in close proximity to an anoxic region, then that H+ ion has more of a chance to be involved in the denitrification process.  Denitrification processes prefer a pH in the low 7s to high 6s because of the availablity of H+.  There is 10 times less H+ at pH 8 as there is at pH 7.  That is my reasoning for stating what I did in the other post.  And it's been my personal experience that the removal of a wet/dry resulted in a decrease in nitrates.  I'm also willing to consider it just doesn't matter where it happens too .  (but I might need a little convincing).

The difference comes in having organisms (corals, algae, etc.) that can uptake the ammonia and nitrite before it is converted to nitrate.  Sometimes a bio-wheel is too efficient and will not allow enough time for the organisms to absorb any of these compounds.

That is absolutely true!  So why not allow that ammonia to make another pass through the tank... maybe that xenia or caulerpa will pick it up .

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 9:29am
Um... Jon.... English translation please!  
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 9:44am

Carl,

Think of H+ as Jessica Simpson.
Jessica braking up with "what's his name" is the nitrification reaction.
Jessica hooking up with Carl is the denitrificaiton reaction.

Would the likelyhood that you're the envy of the neigborhood guys be greater if she broke up with "what's his name" while traveling through  Syracuse, UT or Syracuse, NY?  What's the odds that she wanders from NY to UT?  I'm not sure she know's where UT is .

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 10:38am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

If nitrification occurs far away from an anoxic region, then the H+ produced has a greater chance of being swept away in the bulk water to eventually react with carbonate or bicarbonate in your tank, lowing your alkalinity.  If the nitrification occurs in close proximity to an anoxic region, then that H+ ion has more of a chance to be involved in the denitrification process. 

Most of the nitrification happens in high water flow areas.  Therefore I believe that the byproduct of nitrification will usually be spread around the tank no matter where it is done.  I think that having nitrification take place next to an area that is going to serve as a denitrification area may help increase the chance of having the H+ ion participate in the denitrification process, but IMO to a minute degree.

I could be easy swayed on this topic if some good supporting evidence is provided.

That is absolutely true!  So why not allow that ammonia to make another pass through the tank... maybe that xenia or caulerpa will pick it up .

As I stated before this is the benefit of removing your bio-wheel, but I usually don't recommend it.

Edited by Jake Pehrson
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 10:38am
I second what Carl said. U need a good cleanup crew. Ill put as many hermits and astreas in there as I can. Give them a little bit of time and see the algae disappear. Ive had hair algae before and had it go away after adding a cleanup crew.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 11:10am

Carl,

Think of H+ as Jessica Simpson.
Jessica braking up with "what's his name" is the nitrification reaction.
Jessica hooking up with Carl is the denitrificaiton reaction.

YES!!!!!!!! Who's da man! Wait... is that necessarily a "good" thing?

Would the likelyhood that you're the envy of the neigborhood guys be greater if she broke up with "what's his name" while traveling through  Syracuse, UT or Syracuse, NY?  What's the odds that she wanders from NY to UT?  I'm not sure she know's where UT is .

With a face and a bod like that, I wouldn't really care if she was a babbeling idiot who thought that buffalo wings were made from buffalo. Oh, wait.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 11:12am

Most of the nitrification happens in high water flow areas.  Therefore I believe that the byproduct of nitrification will usually be spread around the tank no matter where it is done.

I think removing the bio-wheel will slow down the nitrification process allowing more intake via coral, algae, etc.

I can agree with those statements too.  That description also explains what can be observed by removing bio balls.  I think most reef organisms will preferentally uptake ammonia over nitrate.  And actually your explaination fits in well with another pet idea of mine...

Thanks Jake.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 2:12pm

I leave for a week and look what happens....
Jon is talking nerd talk about filtration, Jake is making many valid points, Carl has moved from J-Lo to J Simpson.

Looks like things are just the way they were before.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 2:41pm
We do it all for you Mr. President.
In Syracuse

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by seti007 seti007 wrote:

I second what Carl said. U need a good cleanup crew. Ill put as many hermits and astreas in there as I can. Give them a little bit of time and see the algae disappear. Ive had hair algae before and had it go away after adding a cleanup crew.

And what Asad didn't mention is that he has hermits and snails available, personally collected in Florida this week!

That soft coral above pulses! The end filaments curl and stretch, curl and stretch...

Asad, Are you fragging and making available any of that Florida Gorgonia?

How about some Colt Coral or Majano anemones?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kfowler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 9:37am

Wow,  What a differance three days and alot of advice makes. (some of it I coundn't make heads or tails out of.)  This is what we have done already,  20% water change with ro, left the lights off for two days, hand scrubed (with my husbands toothbrush) about half the rocks, cut back on feedings since three fish died, and added ten hermits and ten snails.

I think that most of our problems come from our filtration.  Apparently we could talk all day on bio wheels.  I haven't removed them yet, the problem is I cant aford to go buy a wet dry sump right now.  If anyone has one they are not using and wants to get rid of real cheap let me know.  I think if we had a sump and changed out our substrate we would be in good shape.  Help, what do you think???????????   (here are some current pics)

Edited by kfowler
kfowler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 10:54am
p.s.  I love Jessica Simpson too!! 
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 11:26am

some of it I coundn't make heads or tails out of

Sorry about that, sometimes threads just seem to evolve a life of there own and some of us like to talk about things that really don't interest the average aquariast .

Your tank appears to me to have adequate live rock and sand.  The two powerhead are probably doing fine for circulation.  Adding snails and crabs is always a good thing.  Maybe a blenny, goby or tang for additional algae control.  Get some macro algae and put it around in your tank.  If you get a tang, he will eat it all (one of the reasons why people grow it in their sump).  You need something to consume the nitrates in your tank.  Water changes will help to drop the levels, the algae will help to keep them down.

Don't get frustrated and quit.  Many tanks go through the same "green" phase.  Just think of this as "rush" week in the reef keepers fraternity (or sorority).  It too will pass.

Edited by jfinch
kfowler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 1:50pm

I'm not sure what macro algae is.  We need some serious help and talking to.  When we got started (1year ago) it sounds like we got alot of bogus advice.  ANYBODY HELP!!!!!!!  I don't know if anybody is willing to come to my house and tell me what the heck to do with this tank or not but that is what we feel like we need.  Someone who really knows what they are talking about to walk us thru this or else I might put the rock in the flower bed and flush everything else.Wink

(P.S  It's my husband who loves Jessica Simpson not me!)

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 8:21pm

kfowler,

Is all of the rock in your tank "live rock" or did you buy some dry rock as well?

So whats in lace rock that is not good for marine tanks?

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 9:25pm

Kfowler, 

Macroalgae is often grown in the sump portion of a refugium.  It often consists of sea grape caulerpa, some soft red stuff called asparagus toxiforma, sawtooth caulerpa, and/or many others.  If you go into the "Coral General," and look for an old topic improperly named "Temperature for Monapora" (should be "Montipora") you will see some pictures of the hair algae in our main tank.  It was bad.  I only mention it so that you will see that this happens to other people, too.  We had green hair algae that was probably 6 to 8 inches long.  No joke.  Also algae all over the back of the tank that was almost 2 inches.  Imagine 2" of algae covering an 8 foot by 3 foot wall.  That was just the one section that we had to clean!!  Confused  We beat it by taking it out manually (scraping), clipping, buying a lawnmower blenny (actually had 2 at one point based on advice - but they are pretty territorial & one got killed), and buying 50 turbo snails.  Anyway, the reason I wrote was to give you an idea of what macroalge is.  I am a newbie, and you are welcome to any of our macroalgae (we have several kinds) any time.

~Renee  p.s. We currently have 60 turbo snails, 10 astra snails, 30 hermit crabs in a 250g system. 

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 10:09pm
Kfowler, If you could please go back and edit the post of your full tank pics side by side and hit enter after each one, they will line up vertically and bring this window back to a manageable width. Thanks
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by BananaTropics BananaTropics wrote:

So whats in lace rock that is not good for marine tanks?

Sometimes contains a higher than desired amount of phosphate compounds which encourages nusiance algae growth.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 11:12pm

I figured the rock in her tank was carribean, not lace.  What is it Kristy?  As Mark said, it might make a difference.

kfowler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2004 at 8:25am

We have all live rock.  About 40 lbs of fiji and 20lbs of carribean.  We have had the fiji for 8 months and the carribean for about 6 weeks. It all looked really good and had alot of life on it when we got it.  I have never heard of lace rock.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic