Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EagleEyez 125 new pix 04/08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 12:34pm
How big is the old system?

Mike

EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 12:04am
the old system is 90 gallons of water.....

so I don't want to just add another 160 gallons of water to it.......I think adding 40-50% of the total water volume would be ok, but not more than that

WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 8:55am
I don't think I would take out more than 20-25 gallons from the 90 at a time then.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 12:27am
OK finaly some pix
Here is the tank in place from the front

Here is the side view as the plumbing goes throught the wall

Here is the wet room view of plumbing coming through the wall

WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 12:58am

Cool, you're on your way now!

Mike

Edited by Mike Savage - September 14 2007 at 6:02am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 10:05pm
Ok now I have the 30 gal that I have pulled out in the main tank......I hope to leave it in the main as I slowly fill it, that way the send is better prepaired to handle the new fish......

{Oh and I hope someone picks up that Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a British Comedy}

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 10:28pm
The helfrich's firefish should be kept singly, unless you know you have a mated pair, IMHO.  When I asked Scott Michael about firefish, he said that it's untrue that they live in large aggregations in the wild.  He also said that they are territorial and unless you have a mated pair or a very large tank, you're likely to have a problem if you keep more than one.  I'd hate to see you lose such a beautiful and expensive treasure. 

I love my Helfrich's- probably wouldn't part with it even if someone paid me.  He's in his own tank with one other fish- a blue assessor (love that fish too).  I've found that if you want the peaceful fish, you have to set up their own tank for them to thrive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 10:41pm
I will keep a close eye on them, they have been in the quarantine tank for a week and a half with no problem....they actualy swim quite close together all the time....the other fish in the quarantine tank are a mystery wrasse and a four line wrasse.......who knows, I may have one up forsale in the next month.....

WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 1:58am
Ok just got my A55 handed to me by the sump...

someone please tell me the a sump is not for looks.....but functionality.......I went to lowes and had the glass dividers cut......after waiting 45 min for someone to acknowledge me, I finaly got someone to cut the glass.....then when I got the glass home I realized that his measurements were about 3/16" too big....so all but one of the peices got installed at an angle........

I also realized that I am not very good and holding the glass in while 'gluing' it in......I got the sh!t everywhere........twice I had peices fall overe and take it out like dominos.......I was not very happy.....but with only one cut on my finger and 10000000 paper towels crumpled in the garbage, I got it done.........now just to wait for it to dry, and keep pulling 10 gallons out at a time......

Edited by EagleEyez5 - September 19 2007 at 1:59am

WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 8:49am
Okay, no problem, it is not for looks. It just needs to be functional. It's not like any of us geeks are going to want to see it or anything. I mean don't show anyone how you did it or what a great job you did. LOL

3/16" . . . he should look for another job. I can't believe he couldn't cut it a little closer than that.

Mike

Edited by Mike Savage - September 19 2007 at 8:51am

JWayment View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWayment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 11:12am
Dang that sucks, but once it is filled with water you will probably never notice. But then again the equipment room is sometimes more fun to check out than the tank.

What time did you finally get done last night?
Josh
120 gal reef
55 gal predator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 12:17pm
almost midnight......I think I walked in the doors at 12:02.......who knows maybe by putting the dividers on an angle, I stumbled on some new way that oxygenates the water at a raster rate.......

I guess it is really lucky I found the clear silicon the mess I made would really stand out if it were white......

WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 1:03pm
Stranger things have happened. At least it is working; it doesn't need to be pretty.

Mike

JWayment View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWayment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 1:12pm
So you did find the clear, did you end up breaking up a 4 pack?

As long as the baffles work who cares what they look l like.
Josh
120 gal reef
55 gal predator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 1:47pm
yeah I found the clear, and did not have to break up the pack......I am going over in the next 10 mins so we will see if they dominoed after I left......how long should I wait before water testing it?

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
JWayment View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWayment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 2:03pm
I think it takes a couple of hours to set, but I think it takes about 24 hours to fully cure.

Just make sure as you are leak testing to not just fill one compartment, but to add water to all compartments as you go so the pressure equalizes on on both sides of the baffles.

Have fun working on the house, did you grab that water yet?

Josh
120 gal reef
55 gal predator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 3:22pm

I agree. 24 hours to cure then fill'er up!

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 12:07am
I gave the current system the weekend off without a water change.....but today I moved over another 10 gal......I only have about 6 more water changes at 10 gals each, and I will be ready to move the whole tank.....so if I do one every day to day and a half, I will be right on schedule to move the whole setup.....I tested the main tank, since that is where I am putting all the water now....and the Nitrates were around 70 ppm.....I will be taking a load of macro over tomorrow to help drop this.....the reason there was a spike, is because of the tank itself....it was setup a bruce's house before, so I was expecting some die off inside the tank, and a small cycle.....the ammonia was still low, so the bacteria on the rock I have in it can obviously handle the die off....ph/nitrite/temp/cal/alk were all good as well.....

another 10 tomorrow....and so on....

I did buy an RO/DI unit, that will be here tomorrow, now I just need to get the big holding tanks and I will be set......I think I will keep 55 gal on hand at all times.....I will also be using a 6 gal bucket to act as my auto top off, this make sure I don't over top off the tank and wash all the salt out of it......

I really got into the plumbing today, and bought the flex spa pipe.....I cleaned out aquatech....who had it at .95 per foot.......tomorrow I will glue it up and run the pipe........I will also build the hood and cabinetry around the stand and tank......If I get it done, I will get some picts on the board.....

Edited by EagleEyez5 - September 20 2007 at 12:08am

WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 8:01am
That's great Jerry. I'm glad things are still progressing. Keep us posted and don't forget those pictures. Kitchen Kneads at about 7700 South Redwood Road had a sign out front yesterday for used 50 gallon water drums for $20.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 10:57am
Thanks for the heads up on the 50 gallon drums....I am headed there right now.....

They were all gone by the time I got there....will keep looking

Edited by EagleEyez5 - September 21 2007 at 10:58pm

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic