Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The (next) Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The (next) Project
    Posted: August 03 2007 at 6:48pm
 Hey, Guys!
   So, I've been able to breed and raise seahorses, shrimp and copepods. Now, I want to try something new. I am not really excited about trying anenomefish even though it can be done. I am thinking a more exotic species. Any one have any thoughts?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 6:58pm
Yellowheaded Jawfish, Bangaii Cardinals, Orchid Dottybacks, Neon Goby are the species that come to mind.

Mike

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 7:09pm
I'd look at anything tank raised on websites.

Yashia Haze Goby was the most interesting I saw recently. http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=24563&siteid=20

Maybe you could even try inverts like shrimp or even crabs?

28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 7:35pm
Octopuses would be interesting too, but you wouldn't likely have a large enough group locally to buy the offspring, and your current set up would have to be modified. I know, despite recent events, lots of us would love to see you accomplish that. Wasn't there someone local who recently successfuly raised baby octopuses? Was it Kyle?
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 9:23pm
I read a lot of interesting articles on the breeding of cuttlefish. Like octos but apparently easier to breed in captivity... although still VERY hard to breed overall, and they are not exactly easy to keep even without the thought of breeding them. But it would make for an interesting and challenging project.
60g LPS Cube
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 9:43pm
How about lionfish?
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 9:59pm
Suzy, I don't have the time to raise fish myself however I find it very intersted and would love to try it some time. If you ever raise some and want to sell I am all about buying and selling tank raised livestock.

Oh and have you thought of crossbreeding anemone fish?
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 10:24pm
Suzy...cleaner shrimp would be one huge challenge!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 7:44am
Cool ideas!

Any other thoughts?
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 1:27pm
Tangs, Sharks, Angels, Eels, pipefish? Maybe marine betta, or moorish idol?
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 1:37pm
Fire shrimp
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 1:58pm
Rotifers

Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 2:06pm
Suzy, while you're making your selection, you may want to consider the health of the wild population. Pick something that is "doable" and may help reduce collection pressure on wild fish. The Bangaii comes to mind.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2007 at 8:27am
Thanks, guys! Very cool ideas. I've been doing a lot of research on a certain species but I'm afraid to tell you now, because I'll get beat up by the Flintstones gang! I'll let you know when I get a few fry babies to show?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2007 at 9:50am
Absolutely. Keep us posted!

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic