Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!... Aptasia Takeover!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DVadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!... Aptasia Takeover!
    Posted: February 17 2004 at 8:29pm
I'm at my wits end! I see aptasia, they are everywhere.
They are starting to crowdout the corals.   They are Growing as
carpets on Live rock and the sand bed. Some are as big a
round as silver dollars. I've tried cutting them off(it just seems to
make more). As of late, smaller ones float in the water and
adhear to the fish. It's a sad day when you have so much
Aptasia it grows on your fish.   Would it be best to replace all
the Live rock and Sand? I'm willing to try peppermint shrimp
but I think I'd need an army. Any good methods for killing these
buggers by the masses?

The tank is 20 gallons and has been setup for almost two years
now.
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 9:07pm
When aptasia showed up in my aquarium I got peppermint shrimp.  I have about 5 in a 150.  They cleaned it up except for one.  I don't know why they don't like that one.  Maybe they are saving it for a special occasion.  The shrimp have grown and shed their  skins several times so they must be getting plenty to eat.  You can buy them fairly cheaply.  Check out the promo for the new lfs at the top of the board.  They would be worth a try.
Linda Spencer
West Jordan
From My little corner of the sea
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 9:38pm
Peppermint shrimp got rid of my aiptasia and many other peoples successfully. I wouldn't think an army would be necessary, but they are happier in small groups. For 20 gallons I would think 3 would wipe out all but the last few offenders in a few weeks. From The Sea always has tons of them at the best price.
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 9:59pm
Inject them with Kalk Paste... Unless there are more than it's
worth, then I'd just nuke the whole tank... Just kidding.
Trevah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 10:11pm
i've read that racoon butterflies do a great job on aptasia's as well...but seeing as your tank is a 20 it's probably not a good idea....
mnlarsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnlarsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 11:25pm
In addition to the shrimp you can place small rocks around and on top of the aptasias. The aptasias will move to the top - after about a day. You can then remove the rocks and let them dry out, then use the rocks again. I do think the shrimp are the easiest solution though...   
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 11:44pm

Anyone have any problem with your peppermint shrimp and any other anemones? I recently got a flower anemone in the reeftopia order. It was doing great the first few days - then a peppermint shrimp decided it was easier to steal food from the anenome than to find it himself. Then he started using the anenome for food. It didnt take long before it had killed the anenome, despite my best efforts to save it. Just wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences with peppermint shrimp and other anenomes.... (BTW - these are peppermint shrimp - not camelbacks...)

Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 6:47am
I have not had any experience with peppermints and anemonies but every night that I tried to spot feed my braincorals and my candycane corals my peppermint would come and steal it all right out of their mouth. It didn't look like they liked that too much because they would always retract way back. Even if I tried protecting the corals for an hour while they ate, the moment I left the shrimp was right there just ripping it all out.

Since then I have taken him out and put him into my refugium. Now I can feed my corals in peace.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 7:22am

Originally posted by DVadar DVadar wrote:

Any good methods for killing these
buggers by the masses? 

Take a look at these links, they will provide some insight for you. http://www.seaslugforum.net/aiptasia.htmhttp://www.aquarium.net/faqs/aiptasia.shtml, http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/msubpestaiptasia. There are many methods to ridding aiptasia, it just depends on how much time you have to spend. You can inject each anemone with really hot water, OD with kalkwasser, lime solution (so I hear), or a number of other methods. Cutting, squishing or otherwise can actually cause their numbers to multiply, as you have found out. Natural predators are peppermint shrimp, copperband butterfly fish (too large for your system) and a species of nudibranch.

I don't think that you need to tear apart your tank. But, the longer you wait the more aiptasia you will have. Something else to consider is if you decide to kill them in place you will have all of that decaying matter in your system that can cause increased ammonia levels. Try doing smaller sections at a time and be prepared to do some water changes.

IMO. Good luck!

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 8:47am

I have a little bit of advice.  I am a huge believer in Peppermint shrimp, I have personally seen them wipe out aptasia in my tanks.  I'm also a fan of copperband butterflies, kalk injections and other things.  But here is my main advice....

TALK TO JAKE!  He has given presentations on this before and has much experience.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 9:12am
Peppermint shrimp seems a logical answer.  From the Sea for about $4.00 each.  Get three or four, maybe five.  When the Aiptasia are gone you can trade away your surplus back to one or two.  We have had two or three Peppermints in a 200 gal. system and have never had any Aiptasia.  We brought home Majanos instead! 
Richard
Alpine, UT
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 9:16am
Originally posted by 1mariner7 1mariner7 wrote:

We brought home Majanos instead! 

Dang Majanos! I have them too.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 7:34am
Large Aiptasia (over 1" tall) are not as readily eaten by Peppermint Shrimp.
On Saturday, I was in Fish4U and they had just sold a 2" Copperband. It would have been perfect for a 10-40 gal. tank to take care of a problem like this:

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 3:47pm
Mark - Wow! Now that's some live rock!

Come on, admit it, the first aiptasia you ever found was exciting! You thought "cool, my live rock does have some life on it."

Every reef tank should have a least one peppermint shrimp. (my 2 cents)
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 4:08pm

Peppermints work for me also.

Make sure a copperband is eating before you buy it. 

My 2c

DVadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2004 at 2:17pm
Update: Good news, I'm starting to win the war! Several Peppermint Shrimp have been in the tank for two weeks and the aptasia are starting to recede. I've also turned off my main lights for a few days to help lower a green alge outbreak. Anyway things seem to be going better.

Edited by DVadar
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2004 at 4:13pm
(Whew!)  I'm glad!
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2004 at 10:25pm

Just 1 other suggestion, watch the amount you're feeding and how often. This may help with success in your endeavor.

Jason

jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 7:47am

Has anyone had problems with Copperband butterfly I am thinking about getting one but I don't know what types of corals they eat will someone fill me in on this.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 9:00am

I think if you have a nice full growth reef tank then a copperband is fine.  I think the problem is when you have a baren tank and don't feed much, they have no choice but to eat polyps. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic