Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaelini Rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaelini Rock?
    Posted: February 17 2004 at 4:54pm
Is anyone familiar with this type of rock?  How does it compare to Fiji rock? From what I read it's less dense than the standard Fiji rock LR.  I've got my 90g tank set up with a bunch of Utah rock and am looking from some good rock to seed the tank.

Edited by Jared
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 5:22pm

Kaelini is just tonga deepwater with a different name. I heard that it is named Kaelini because that is what the local people in Tonga call Walt Smith's daughter...

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 5:23pm
hey jared ... i'm going to tag along on this one. i have been curious about kaelini and buna branch.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 5:33pm
I've got kaelini (is walt's daughter named Caroline?) rock in my tank.  It's nice, I'd recommend it.  A lot of it is old acro heads.  It's very colorful with good shapes.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 7:25pm
hey jon ... would you mind posting a couple of pics? thanks.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 8:04pm

The majority of this rock is kaelini.  I appologize for the poor pictures, either I suck or my camera sucks (hopefully not both ).  Also, this tank is really in it's infancy...

View of the left side:

View of the middle:

View of the right side:

My camera really doesn't catch the detail... sorry.

Edited by jfinch
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 3:09pm
Thanks for the posts.  I think I'm going to go with this over Fiji.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 3:51pm
Where's Tim with the photostitch?
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 8:52pm
Jon,
How long have you had your tank set up?

I do like the look of the rock.

Edited by Shane H
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 9:19pm
It was set up, more or less, about a week before Christmas.  The Tongan rock allows for many caves and arches, although I ended up with a little more rock than I originally envisioned.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 7:21am

Kaelini rock is on sale right now at Jeff's Exotic for $2.50 per pound plus shipping.  You can check around at some local stores, but that would be hard to beat.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 8:24am
Jon, your tank looks nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic