Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

laminate flooring and an aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
taylorwaldron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: laminate flooring and an aquarium
    Posted: June 23 2007 at 4:34pm
We are looking at installing laminate flooring. My 90 gal would sit on it. Has anyone had any problems with the height being too much for the flooring? Has it cracked it? pressed into it? anything like that? I am not sure how strong that stuff is. Thanks
www.taylorwaldron.com
Chuck Norris does not sleep, he waits.
Hyvä Suomi!
Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 4:36pm
Mine is doing fine.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 5:14pm
just use tile or marble much nicer and will not come loose if you get it wet
out with the large and in with the nano

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 5:17pm
it is in the living room and my wife wants the wooden floors. it is not linoleum it is the laminate wood flooring.
www.taylorwaldron.com
Hyvä Suomi!
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 5:33pm
oh sorry
out with the large and in with the nano

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 5:34pm
Big%20smile
www.taylorwaldron.com
Hyvä Suomi!
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 6:22pm
I think you would be fine ... just make sure that you seal the seems really good .... laminate flooring is pretty tuff stuff
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 6:24pm

that is another concern if I have a flood it would probably warp the heck out of the stuff. is there some sort of sealent I could use to protect it? Well I assume there is since bulter just told me so :) but what do I use??

www.taylorwaldron.com
Hyvä Suomi!
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 6:29pm
I am not sure what the best sealent would be .... I know they seal it when they put it into bathrooms and kitchens ...

ya know the best person to ask is Adam .. he is putting hardwoof floors in his lab at his house ....

Edited by thebutler4 - June 23 2007 at 6:30pm
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 6:41pm
DO NOT PUT YOUR AQUARIUM on a laminate "pre engineered" floor. These floors are designed to free float. THEY ARE NOT TIED DOWN TO THE FLOOR. If you tie it down to the floor by putting that much weight on it IT WILL separate at the seams as it expands and contracts. If you look at the warranty of the flooring you will find that it is not warrantied against WATER DAMAGE or SEAM SEPARATION from extreme weight being applied. Your tank well qualifies for EXTREME WEIGHT.

All laminate flooring being produced now, is a compressed mdf core. When wet for any length of time it will swell and come apart. Light mopping fine....fishtank flood bad. Any questions?

THEY DO NOT SEAL LAMINATE FLOORS IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. The floor is Laminate= phenolic resin and paper. No sealer will stick to it. Old laminate floors were glued together so you had some protection with the glue. All new flooring is either snap together or press fit. (Thank you home centers)

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 9:27pm
I'm not worried about putting my tanks on laminate floors.  I've been very pleased with them in the past.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
trunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 9:29pm
What about bamboo flooring? I know it can be installed just like tongue and groove pergo type stuff, and it's not MDF based (the stuff I have seen is all bamboo)

I think it's a bit more pricey, but should be a lot more water resistant.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 11:27pm
Bamboo hardwood (or grass) is like any other hard wood. It is not installed like pergo. It is nailed down. Pre finished has a few issues when wet due to the seams not being finished but it will be much better than laminate.

I only say all of this because as a company I have installed just about every kind of pre engineered flooring out there. Ive also installed hard wood.(we are going to install 3500sqft of unfinished bamboo flooring in august). I have seen many damaged floors due to flooding as well as separated floors due to parts of it being pinned down with excessive weight.

Just my 2 cents.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 12:36am
My husband is a tile setter! LOL.LOL
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 12:55am

Best thing to do IMO.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:45am

My 120 is on laminate flooring. I specifically used it so I could easily re-carpet. I've not had any problems in about 8 years.

At the time, the seams were glued. I;ve had plenty of water on it, but I do try and get it up right away. I think Dion is right on - standing water over a long period will be a problem. It would be a problem with hardwood as well. Tile is the best option, although not necessarily the most attractive in some settings.
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 3:26am
Dion is right on the money.....I sell hardwood floors and pre made floors......the problem is that you may have a some what water resistant layer on the floor, but as soon as the water passes....for example in a flood......it gets though the cracks and down to the subfloor.....once it reaches the subfloor the game is over.....I don't know any company that takes the time to seal or even treat the bottom of the hardwood before they install it.....all of your water protection is on the surface....you know the polyurethane finish you walk on...there is no protection on the sides of the wood or on the back....

Just my 3 cents

Just make sure you are covered by your insurance and your check was on time.......

WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 10:38am
this is good. i want to leave carpet in the living room and wood everywhere else on the main level, my wife wants it all wood ( It's a Scandinvian thing!:)) now maybe i can convince her to leave carpet in that room. Thanks all
www.taylorwaldron.com
Hyvä Suomi!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 11:20am
TI'm not a big fan of placing your aquarium on a carpeted floor. At least not an aquarium that is of any volume. The problems you have with laminate and hardwood are just compounded with carpet. The problems that Jerry mentioned with the subfloor are even worse in this case. There is absolutely no chance of catching flooded water with carpet. At least with laminate or real wood floor covering, you might stand a chance! I'm not a big fan of placing your aquarium on a carpeted floor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 11:45am
well in that case the only place to put an aquarium in most houses in our region is the bathroom. pretty much any floor you put it on is going to be a problem if it foods unless it is tile, which i am not puting in a family room. my question was more about the weight on the laminate flooring and crushing it. I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter what floor I put in. all have pros and cons that i will just have to deal with......IF it becomes a problem.
www.taylorwaldron.com
Hyvä Suomi!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic