Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifying tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kgwilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifying tank
    Posted: March 18 2007 at 7:01pm
I have a 75 gal that has been up and running for a while.  Well it has black plastic around the bottom and the top of the glass.  The top plastic is divides the aquarium in half.  Like, if I was to take the top plastic border off I would have two squares instead of one big rectangle.  I don't know if it's like this in order to keep the tank from bowing or what, but it blocks half of my 150w MH.  So my question is, can I take a little hand saw and cut this piece off?  I mean, I figure I can keep all the fragments of plastic out of the water, but would this stress my fish out to the point of needing to see a shrink?  Any ideas to solve this problem would be great, thanks!
75gal reef /sump/ref 150MH 2 96w CF
Perhaps I would be better at basket weaving. . . at least it would be cheaper!
Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 7:05pm
Don't do it. I've had tanks with those broken and they later cracked.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 7:09pm
Well, what can I do?  Could I maybe triagle some foil and reflect the rest of the light into the tank?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 7:37pm
I removed the brace in my 75 and replaced it with clear acrylic. You can get nylon bolts at home Depot. But, the clear gets algae on it, so I have to clean it freq....

But, I have 2 MH pendents on mine, so the middle is darker anyway....
Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 7:46pm
That's a good idea! Another maybe, especially for a 4 foot tank, would be to run two MH's. One in the center isn't the best coverage.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
gateb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 9:54pm
I've always seen it recommended to use one MH lamp per 2 square feet. My 120 is 48x24x24 and I have 2 175w MH lamps on it.  

Edited by gateb - March 18 2007 at 9:54pm
120 Gal RR
2 Pan World 100PX return pumps
AquaC EV-180 w\Mag 9
40 + 13 Gal refugia
2 175w Iwasaki Aqua2 MH
4 48" URI Super Actinic VHO
IceCap MH and VHO Ballasts

Ogden, UT

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 7:17am
You know, when I had one pendant in the middle, it created these really cool shadows. The fish would enter the stage!

If I just had one 75, I would probably use just one pendant, and grow lots of 'shrooms on the sides...

The brace is a pain, though. I'm glad I took ours out.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 7:18am
Oh, I did add the new brace before I completely removed the old, just in case.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 9:35am
DO NOT REMOVE THE BRACE!

Unless you can come up with a good way to secure the top of the tank. Acrylic can be used in place of the plastic, but I would put two in and seperate your tank into thirds. I don't know if this helps you with the light problem, but it will likely help with the wet carpet and damaged basement ceiling problem you're likely to have if you don't.

Good luck.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 10:12am
I think it would be a very easy replacement.  It is hard to fix a broken brace because the tank has already bowed out at that point, but if the brace is in place and working then I'd do this... Cut out a piece of acrylic ~2" wide and as long as the width of the tank.  Set the acrylic under the existing brace and secure in place with a little polyurethane glue at the ends.  Drill three 1/8" - 1/4" (depending on the size of the nylon bolts you use)  holes through both the brace and the acrylic.  Tighten up the bolts/nuts then cut the black center brace away, leaving a small portion at the ends where the nuts/bolts are located, using a small cutting wheel on a dremel.  voilĂ .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 6:32pm

Ya jfinch, I think that's what I'll do.  I would move the lighting over but it's not just a MH, it's an outer orbit fixture with the MH in the middle and PC's down the sides.  It does create pretty cool shadows and I do keep my SPS under the MH and I grow shrooms and softies around the ends.

I planned on using my dads dremel saw, as a matter of fact I'll probably have him do it! LOL So, those of you that have modified this, did you do it after the tank was set up?  If so, how did you keep the "saw dust" out of the tank?  Did it stress your fish out?

Thanks for all the input guys!  If I hadn't gotten such a quick response I would probably be soaked it salt water right now!  Shocked

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic