Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reef tank and fish selection question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tony.and.debp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony.and.debp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reef tank and fish selection question?
    Posted: March 12 2007 at 11:57am
I was wondering if a yellow tang was a good tank selection for a reef tank.   I need something that will help control the alage that my metal halide lights is creating. 

Tony
Tony
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 11:59am
We have one in ours!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 12:02pm

Tangs are herbivores and need a tank with plenty of swimming room. Yellow tangs (and many others) can be aggressive. Most Blennys are herbivores and don't swim much. Many people keep both.

Mike

tony.and.debp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony.and.debp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 12:22pm
Will the tangs work in my 65 gallon tank? Also,  will they not eat the coarls like the foxface did? 
Tony
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 12:25pm
Tangs are reef safe and will not bother your corals. Most books will tell you a tang needs a 4 foot long tank though I have seen tangs do well in a 65 gallon. I would stick with the smaller tangs like the Yellow or a bristletooth tang such as the Kole (Yellow-eye) tang.

Mike

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 12:31pm

We got our yellow tang from Dion who had it in his 29 gal.  We now have it in a 37 and it is doing great.  I have read and heard that the smallest tank you should have a tang in is 40 so I guess we are close.

Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 3:01pm
I Have a blue line tang in my 30 and it seems to like it just fine.
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic