Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need help sealing a closed loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need help sealing a closed loop
    Posted: February 18 2007 at 9:38pm
I just got a Sequence Dart to run a closed loop on the 210 I just bought. A LFS told me I should run a few inches of Spiralite? (basically a flexible tubing) from any bulkheads before connecting them to rigid tubing, so I bought some and used it to connect 5 bulkheads. The problem is the flex tubing doesn't fit quite as well as normal PVC or ABS - it's just a tiny bit smaller in diameter. I used the PVC primer and cement to put them together anyway, but now they leak!!!! Since it is cemented I can't undo it and use PVC instead without ruining the bulkheads and buying new ones.

Is there anything I can use to seal these connections so I can just use the existing  bulkheads and tubing? I've looked at Home Depot and Lowes and all the silicone says not to use with aquariums. It seems like some of this may be that they can't handle being under water, and others may be bad for the fish. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! 

Edited by Wade - February 18 2007 at 9:46pm
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 10:12pm
I used spaflex (available at lowes or a spa retailer that can fix hot tubs)for my fittings and they are exactly the correct size for gluing, I have not used spiralite so I am not sure what to suggest, it is possible to clean those fittings out carefully so that they can be used again. But it sounds like you need to start over at least with the flex part.Ouch

not sure what else to offerConfused
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 10:14pm
http://www.pacificecho.com/5100.htm

if this is the stuff that you used?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 10:34pm
I too used flex hose.  My bulkheads all leaked.... because I didn't tighten them enough.  The hose itself and glue never leaked.  Once I tightened down the bulkheads I was leak free.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 10:36pm
Mountain shadow sells a white flex that fits in the bulk heads well. It fits the bulk heads very well. You have to use a green pvc glue to glue the pvc to abs. I used it on my 120 and am very happy.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 11:03pm
Dion - that's the stuff I have. I obviously used the wrong glue. Since it is glued in there with the regular PVC glue do you know if I just coated it with the green stuff if it would seal? I guess I have nothing to lose......
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 11:18pm
PVC and ABS glues are actually cements that melt the plastic so the two pieces become one. I don't know of an actual glue that can be used to fill voids or seal open areas. I do think you have a good chance of sealing it if you get the proper cement (green)

Mike

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 8:16am
I used the red hot pvc glue(it is blue) and it sealed fine, was the glue old? Strange that it didn't seal.

Brian
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 11:18am
Brian - the flex hose I'm using looks similar to the stuff in the link you posted, but mine is mainly white. I used the regular PVC cement (I think the can is kind of a gold color) with the purple primer. I just bought the cement last week. From what Dion said, I think it is the wrong kind of cement for what I'm trying to do. For the most part it holds pretty well but it seems like there are some small gaps where it didn't seal and the water leaks out.

Edited by Wade - February 19 2007 at 11:19am
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 11:51am
http://www.pacificecho.com/spa.htm

if it is this stuff they your good to go, I have been able to flex it loose before and reglue,  but it was  tough.  (watch your unions though)

That is supposed to work, if you use a very wet joint on both pieces, then let it cure, I haven't heard of the stuff that Dion used, it is probably better stuff than the glue that I used) I have also used  a grey glue that takes 8 hours to cure before, it is used on the commercial pool joints, (code requires that it not be clear). the red hot stuff sets up in 20 seconds in full sun. (out in the yard doing sprinkler work)

The easiest is going to be to start over and use a very wet joint on both pieces before you assemble the parts. then hold the two together for about 30 seconds until it starts to set.

immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 5:14pm
If you do decide to try the silicone route, lowes does carry aquarium silicone.  It is a smaller toothpaste tube size and they have it hanging on the wall with the other silicones and paints and stuff.  Good luck. 
Immortal
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 9:54pm
I have used spaflex from HD and normal PVC glue.  If your pipe is loose then  it is not correct for PVC piping.  It should fit tight like any other PVC fitting.  I have not had any issues.  You will continue to have problems because of pressure if the pipe doesn't fit well with the unions.  Do not go cheap here.  If you blow out a pipe you are out a lot more that just replacing what you purchased with spaflex or similar PVC flexible pipe.  JMO.
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 10:31pm

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I ended up pulling out the stuff and putting in new bulkheads. Dion helped me find the glue that is for joing ABS to PVC so I'm giving that a try tonight.

Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 9:34am
I forgot to update this post.....

I was able to pull out the flex hose with some pliers. It was actually much easier to do than I thought it would be. I then used the glue Dion told me about and now the Dart is running and there are no leaks! Big%20smile

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 9:38am
Awesome Clap

acuramech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acuramech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 12:42pm
how do you like the  dart?
"TANKLESS"
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 11:26pm
I really like the Dart a lot. I've read a lot of posts here and on RC where people say they like them so I got one. It pumps a lot of water and it really is incredibly quiet.
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 11:30pm

acuramech - I just noticed in your signature that you have a Dart. How do you like yours?

acuramech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acuramech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 12:32am
i love my dart.. i got mine i think around july.. and have it on my 90.  have six outlets.  tons of flow quiet and efficient.  great pump
"TANKLESS"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic