Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flow restrictions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flow restrictions
    Posted: February 13 2007 at 11:49pm
Ok .. I heard somewhere a while ago that a 90 degree elbow on your return line can take away up to 10% of your water pressure is this true? ... so is it true that if I have a Mag 2400 .. that has a total of 4 90 degree elbows that is taking away 40% of the water flow back to my tank? ...
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 9:15am
It's actually a little complicated (it depends on the pump discharge curve, flow rate and pipe size), but ~10% for that size pump and plumbing is certainly in the right ballpark.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 9:35am
Originally posted by thebutler4 thebutler4 wrote:

Ok .. I heard somewhere a while ago that a 90 degree elbow on your return line can take away up to 10% of your water pressure is this true? ... so is it true that if I have a Mag 2400 .. that has a total of 4 90 degree elbows that is taking away 40% of the water flow back to my tank? ...

A 90 degree elbow takes away 10% of your water PRESSURE?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:00am
No, flow.

Actually, as you add elbows to piping system, you'll see the pump discharge pressure increase (which means the flow is decreasing).

But it's not the same percentage for each added elbow.  As the flow decreased, the flow restricting effect of another elbow is diminished.

I should make up a spreadsheet for pumped piping systems... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:28am
Ok, not too much off topic. How is pump head distance measured? From the top surface of the sump to the top surface of the tank?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:37am
How is pump head distance measured? From the top surface of the sump to the top surface of the tank?

Yes, surface level to surface level will give flow loss due to elevation change.

The other big factor is frictional losses.  This is where pipe diameter, number/type of fittings and flow rate comes into play.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 12:01pm
Excellent. Thanks.

Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 3:40pm
Jon, help me understand this in laymans terms.  If I start out at 10 gpm what flow do I have at the end assuming this data?

Example of Friction Head Loss in Plastic Pipes

A flow of 10 GPM in a 2" pipe gives a head loss of 0.2 feet water column per 100 feet of pipe

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 3:50pm
Jon, help me understand this in laymans terms.  If I start out at 10 gpm what flow do I have at the end assuming this data?

A flow of 10 GPM in a 2" pipe gives a head loss of 0.2 feet water column per 100 feet of pipe

Well... you still have 10 gpm, since that is what you assumed to start with.  What that statement means is that water flowing at 10 gpm through a 2" pipe will lose 0.2 ft of pressure after traveling 100 ft.

This would be much easier to explain/show if we were sitting around a table.  It's easy to show graphically how your system curve (piping characteristics) interacts with the pump curve.  Let me mark up a pump curve, post it and try to explain it from that...
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 5:03pm
Here's a couple charts I've posted before for figuring frictional pressure losses.

And

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 1:39am
WOW jon .. that was a lot more than I expected! thank you much but I am a total idiot when it comes to this stuff .. lol  ... so .. to simplify my question .. on my mag24 ... with just 1 "T" (barbed fitting) going threw 3/4" tubing ... and pushing 8' how much do you think I am really pushing ... pump says 2400 GPH at 0 feet ... and 1400gph at 9 feet (according to the tell tell manufacture specs) .... how much flow am I loosing with just the 1 barbed "T" fitting running threw 3/4" tubing ?

Edited by thebutler4 - February 15 2007 at 1:40am
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 8:42am
There's a calculator on Reefcentral.  It used to be an excel spreadsheet, but it's now just a calculator.  I still have the excel spreadsheet.  It accounts for bernouli's eq, Hazen-williams, losses due to elbows, tees, etc. It even has pump curves built in.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 9:22am
to simplify my question...

Probably around 1100 - 1200 gph.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 9:55am
Cool stuff. Thanks for the chart.

Mike

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 12:15pm

Man .. I need to find a MAg36!!!!! .. lol

I worry that may not be enough for SPS ...
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 2:59pm
ok I just removed the last 2 90* elbows on my return lines ... and I would be willing to bet that doubled + the flow back into the tank .. even the return pump sounds better .. (not as loud) ... so .. that should help ..

Please see my second question about SPS in the corals forum ..

Thanks again guys!!! .. I love this board!

140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 4:05pm
You'll see even better results if you switch to 1" tubing rather then the 3/4".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic