Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sukie & Wudan's 90gal thread - Tear Down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sukie & Wudan's 90gal thread - Tear Down
    Posted: February 07 2007 at 10:17pm
Alrighty ppl . . . the holiday season has been long over. . and you know what, it's time for us *wudan & I* to set up our 90gal tank! wo0T!!  I'm just too dang excited!! (if you don't know. . we've had this tank for months and funds were holding us back from setting it up)

What's the first step?? 

Well I should probably clean the tank out, seeing how it was "Some Dude's Sump" - yeh the dude had like a 210 in his living room or something to that nature. 

Here's a picture of the dirty tank - yucky!! 

My rule of thumb is buy things used for cheap unless you can find a better deal. . . Embarrassed (Go ahead and call me a penny pincher. . . I won't deny it). 

So I'm going to be using vinegar for the tank. . . to get all the salt creep off.  And a good scraper for all the silicon.

Please if you have any advise on the way - feel free to let me know.  As I'm still a newbie! Embarrassed

Edited by sukie - August 07 2009 at 11:07am
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 10:23pm
Hey when I cleaned my tank up I used a regular knife to get the bulk of the silicone off then I used a razor blade!  It made for quicker work!  I also used a gallon jug filled with water to help rinse the stuff off so I could see what I still had left to do!

YEAH--keep us posted!

Sukie---I have to rub it in(you got me started on this kind of stuff and I set up a bigger tank then yours before you did--now you are tring to outdo me--he he he---Healthy Competition)---***By the way--my kids are beginning their final drafts of their "Name the Fish" essay for you to judge***
Nobody is perfect! I'm a nobody!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 11:02pm
Use a new sharp razorblade. Wet is probably better than dry. I thought I was being careful on mine but I still scratched the glass. I have never removed the silicone from a tank and resealed it but I have heard that new silicone will not stick to old.

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 1:14pm
Be oh-so-careful with the razorblade.  Like Mike said, use new ones and have a dozen or so on hand.  The longer you use one, the more likely it is to run into something it can't quite cut and lose it's straight edge.  Then you start to scratch.  I'd use a new one after every 3-4 cuts.

Just me, though.

Good luck setting up the new tank.  :)
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Freshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 1:24pm
Only a dozen razor blades?    Go buy a box of 100 at Harbor Freight! 

Looks like Greenanemone and I both have you to blame for getting us into this! 

Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 2:07pm
She's only taking off the silicone.  :)

But yes, if you want to play it safe, go get a box of 100.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 2:17pm
That was someone's sump - and it's already drilled..nice.  If you can lay it on it's side and put about 1/2 a cup of heated vinegar on each of those patches of salt creep for about 10 minutes, it will come right off with a sponge and you won't have to scrape it.  I do it all the time with used tanks.  Vinegar is great for salt creep, coraline algae, dirty powerheads, etc. 
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 2:19pm
You know. . I could take the 100 blades and make throwing stars and dress up like a ninja! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 4:06pm
Amie that's great information.  I have a powerhead intake that's gunkified in all sorts of nastiness.  I didn't want to scrape because of the thin plastic and all.  I think I'll try dipping it in vinegar.

Amy, you'd probably do that anyway.  :)
Wudan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 6:00pm
Well with a lot of elbow grease, we got "Some Dude's Sump" cleaned out:

We got overflow guards from Mark a couple months back and cleaned those out too.  Our next goal is to get the tank drilled for overflow and closed loop.

And guess who built the tank. . .

Edited by Wudan - February 11 2007 at 6:08pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 6:41pm
Who? Dan? LOL

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You guys did a great job cleaning that up!

Freshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:16pm
Looks much better now.  I can't wait to see it in person all setup!
Wudan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 1:10am
I've been working on a 3d model of the tank stand:

Since we'll be getting a 55 gallon tank to work as our sump, this prompted some very interesting design considerations.  In each corner are 3 2x4s, and 2 2x4s run the 'length' of the stand.  The stand itself is 2 ft 'deep', which means theres a 6 inch shelf behind the tank for putting the closed loop pump on.

The surface for the actual shelf is kinda high, I think on the only other stand I build it was just 31 inches, not sure on this one but it's higher.

I'd really appreciate any suggestiions, since I'm pretty sure I'll want to have some center posts as well.  The sump will be 'slid in' through a door on the side of the stand.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 1:34am
You 2 still need to make it over to my place.  Your design seems very much like one of mine.  Feel free to come over and see it one evening.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Will Spencer Will Spencer wrote:

You 2 still need to make it over to my place.  Your design seems very much like one of mine.  Feel free to come over and see it one evening.

Yeh for sure!! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 2:08pm
wudan did you use google sketchup for that?
Wudan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 2:48pm
That's actually from Blender, a 3D modelling software that's fairly easy to use, once you get around the very interesting interface.  My other hobby is 3d math + video game development (er ... and video game playing!), which has proven useful in a lot of areas.
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 3:23pm
yeah I dont think sketchup has lighting models like that does it?
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 3:27pm
If you really want to be cutting edge, take a look at Adams ideas on linear flow.  It will change the way you have it drilled.........
Wudan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 5:52pm
I'm a' Googlin' - got a link?

We plan to use a variable timing mechanism to alternate the flow, since just about everywhere I read says that linear flow is bad (how would you like to live your whole life in strong wind?), so what are Adam's thoughts on the subject?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic